Friday, September 12, 2014

Week 3 CFB Pick 'Em: Mark vs. Danimal vs. Blogger Editing Window

For the first time ever, Danimal has a lead on Mark. Please don’t misinterpret that as being cocky as having the lead for the first time in 18 weeks or so of picks is nothing to brag about, awwight? Robert, you have been Jones’ing (can someone enlighten us on the origination of this word?) to know what we are up or down financially. Well, last week I didn’t place one bet down for dollahs, unfortunately. So I believe I’m still 1-2 on the year on money picks, or maybe 2-3. Regardless, I’m down. I’ll get you a qtly recap at the end of the month, just simmer down.

A quick word on the Jags. I saw a funny tweet last weekend describing their game against the Iggles…I’m paraphrasing here – “The game was exactly like their helmets. One half simply glorious and the other an abomination.” I liked that. It stuck with me. And he was spot on. Henne was Foles in the 1st half supported by a defense that had their best half in years. Annnnnnd then Henne became Henne. A prediction on this week against the Washington Professional Football Team – If Henne plays nearly as poorly as last week’s second half, we’ll see Bortles. I also predict a Jags win.

And a quick word on the Hokies/OSU game. I’m happy for the Hokies, I am. But calm the fuck down Blacksburg. TR pointed out last week that OSU won’t be ranked in 6 weeks. He was way too kind. I’m no procrastinator, but if I had to guess I’d say OSU would be “pretty decent” without their QB injury, at best. With it, they are a big red & silver turd. So Hokie town, don’t get too confident.

Sorry…onto the picks.

West Virginia +3 at Maryland
12:00 p.m.


I’d be a fool to say that WVU “has it figured out”, so I won’t. But they are undoubtedly a much-improved team from last year’s clown car. QB Clint Trickett (2 T’s) has 700+ yards passing in his first two starts of the season. You might recall that their first game was against Alabama where the Mountaineers held them close, and not for a couple of dropped passes and a questionable call or two, who knows? Trickster actually threw for MORE yards against the Tide in that loss than he did in last week’s 54-0 drubbing of Towson. My one concern is that Maryland skunked this team last year, badly. Regardless, I’m saying WVU gets all up in the Terps’ shell and cracks them open.
‘Eers



Georgia -6 at South Carolina
3:30 p.m.
Whooa Nelly! Joe-Ja. South Carralaana. CBS. Verne Lundquist. Yessir! Three weeks in and we still have a whole lot of shit in terms of ball games today. This could end up being one. It COULD. Will it? Who the hell knows? It’s a big rivalry game obviously with the ‘ole baw coach at 1-1 and as a few here have pointed out, they haven’t looked especially impressive. BTW, they are 123rd in the nation in total defense. Georgia on the other hand….interesting. Veddy interesting. Could this finally be their year? I’m bullish on the dawgs. They’ve gone too long with too much talent not to make a run at it. This year’s talent starts in the backfield. Gurley as everyone knows is a beast and will probably be in the Heisman conversation. But take him out, and you got Nick Chubb, aka Chubby/Chubbstein/Chubbarino. Who’s that? Oh, just some frosh who has carried the ball 4 times thus far…..for 70 yards. And while running over and through people. Big people. Big athletic fast people that play in the SEC. These two guys are going to cause probs for the Cawwwcks’ D, which will open up the passing game. This line started at -2.5. I think Georgia wins convincingly. (I’d probably put down a BIG side bet that Hughes takes the ‘Dawgs here too)
Bulldogs







Purdue vs ND
Over/Under 57.5
7:30 p.m.
Purdue scored 17 points against Central Michigan (who scored 38 points against Purdue). That’s 55 points. I don’t see Purdue scoring more than 7 against ND. We could and SHOULD see another goose egg here, right? So, I gotta take the under. ND 48 – Purdue 3
Under




Not an ideal start for me this year. I'm down overall and coming off consecutive 1-2 weeks. Last week saw me suffer at the hands of a few relatively bad beats in the Michigan State-Oregon game and BYU-Texas. I need to get my mojo back.  I cheated a little and read Dan's picks as he posted before me this week so I'll take this time to say while I'm not officially picking the South Carolina-Georgia game I'm taking South Carolina +7  (my book is giving the extra half). South Carolina's defense has been awful but it's largely a result of atrocious pass defense. I say the Gamecocks stack the box and dare the extremely average Hutson Mason and Georgia's banged up wideouts to beat them on a regular basis. Georgia probably still wins but it's a close one.  (So you should probably take Georgia)

Baylor (-33.5) at Buffalo- Baylor has become a top tier Big 12 program in recent years. However, tonight's game AT Buffalo is your reminder of how long ago (not long) it was that Baylor was absolute shite. Can you imagine Oklahoma or Texas having to agree to a home and home series with the University at Buffalo (what the fuck is up with the "at"?). Baylor stud QB Bryce Petty is back tonight playing with a couple of broken bones in his back (WHAT?!!?) but I doubt he plays more than the first half. It won't matter. Baylor will score easily and often. Sic 'Em Bears.

Purdue-Notre Dame (-27.5) at Lucas Oil Stadium - This is pretty simple. Purdue sucks. I mean Purdue really, really sucks. They've given up 34 and 38 points to Western and Central Michigan, respectively. Notre Dame, on the other hand has scored 48 and 31 points in their first two games. Will the Irish suffer a let down after pasting Michigan? Maybe. Will that letdown allow Purdue to play Notre Dame closely? No way. I hate Notre Dame but I love money so give me the Irish. One last note: Do you know who Purdue passed over to hire current Head Coach Darrell Hazell? Former Purdue LB Kevin Sumlin. Yeah, that smarts.

Kentucky at Florida (-17.5) - Despite a losing week, all was right in my world last Saturday night. A 65-0 shutout by your Alma Mater's football team will do that for you. Yes, I know it was Eastern Michigan. I also know 65 points was about a month's worth of scoring for Florida last year. Kentucky is a program on the upswing ever since Mark Stoops came to town but they're still Kentucky and they're walking into The Swamp for a night game. Florida still has much to prove to me (we'll find out quite a bit about them next week in Tuscaloosa...I'm scared. So scared) but I truly believe they're better offensively in terms of personnel and scheme than they've been in at least four years. As I've recently taught my daughter to say Come on Gators! Get up and go!


74 comments:

TR said...

I got name-dropped! I feel like Beano Cook! And look like him, unfortunately...

Mark said...

TR thought Ron Powlus was going to win 3 Heismans.

rob said...

the week, man

rob said...

sarah palin and her fucked up family, man

Mark said...

At dinner at some fancy new restaurant with the wife. I forgot how much I love sweetbread.

rob said...

i'm liking my rugby > nfl prediction more and more. matter of when, not if.

Mark said...

I knew you were going to chime in with this. Because obscenely paid rugby guys won't routinely run afoul of the law. Riiiight.

rob said...

it's not that at all. it's the 1/3 of all nfl players getting dementia. that's a visual that middle america won't be able to ignore forever.

Mark said...

You have more faith in the average American than I. You're betting that people who openly support Ray Rice and/or deny climate change will quit the most popular sport in America (by a wide, wide margin) due to scientific studies on the long term effects of football on the human brain.

Not in my lifetime.

Mark said...

Furthermore, this isn't soccer you're talking about. A sport already making in roads in America. You're pinning your hopes on a sport with currently little to no foothold state side.

Marls said...

Hi gheorghigiea.

Marls said...

Greetings from Clarence's porch. We my be overserved.

rob said...

you're probably right, mark, but a girl can dream

T.J. said...

Headed to Bacon and Beer Fest at Heavy Seas Brewery today. Giddyup.

Marls said...

Oooof

Marls said...

I'm lovin' Danimal's posting in Winchesterese.

As for the NFL, I would argue that most Americans don't really care about Janay Rice, they just want Ray out of the picture so they can go back to watching a game where men mutilate their minds and body without guilt.

Marls said...

I actually think that you could do a version of The Runnning Man today and get huge audiences.

T.J. said...

I'd watch "Climbing for Dollars"

Marls said...

The fact that climbing for dollars came back from commercial break showed about 30 seconds of footage and then went back to commercial break always bothered me.

rob said...

going to a bourbon tasting this evening at my neighbor's house. he's gay and an executive in the restaurant business, with the stereotypical good taste implied by the former and the access to good product implied by the latter. he's also from kentucky. fingers crossed that pappy makes an appearance.

Mark said...

I'd say chances are high on that, Rob. Kind of hate you right now.

Danimal said...

I forgot that I had included a pic of Trickett in my original post prior to the clusterfuck on blogger. The pic was for Shlara. Trickster is a hamsum fella.

Danimal said...

Random thoughts...I wouldn't mind heading to Fargo sometime. I also took Pitt over FIU -25....was able to get the o/u in nd game at 59....vatech always stumbles in a game like today's....but not today.

Mark said...

Not for the official record but I like the 12 pm safety school parlay. ECU +10/UCF +10.5

Danimal said...

Oh....and I wouldn't mind I being with teejus and baconbaking today and the wee one this eve.

rob said...

calm the fuck down, blacksburg, indeed

mayhugh said...

Danimal or Mark (too lazy/drunk to go back and verify in the post) was all over this Hokies team. Hokies always struggle with speed on the outside. They seem to always have an abundance of slow linebackers and safeties.

I prefer to have Hokie fans give up early; they always fall off the radar after the first loss. The earlier the better.

mr kq said...

Apparently kq agrees with the Danimal's hottie assessment of Clint Trickett.

Danimal said...

From my iPad I tried to add a pic of the Trickster. To avoid catastrophe I have quit trying. I think we (ok....maybe just me) are still having blogger issues. I can't scroll down at all once I am in. GTB should have a technical support hotline.

Danimal said...

Maryland with a big 2nd qtr. Pitt looks pedestrian against FIU, losing.

rob said...

vandy's losing to umass. james franklin must've poisoned the gatorade on his way out of town.

Dave said...

cat and i are headed to a big tailgate this afternoon. apparently, we live in a football town now. we may put our basement on air b & b, all the hotels are full and new brunswick is shut down.

rob said...

firing up a batch of the baconbaking salsa verde. pretty excited/ing over here.

Mark said...

Rutgers! Penn State! Get some!

I hope Dave drunkenly yells that this afternoon.

rob said...

one thing baconbaking neglected to mention about the salsa verde process: it makes your house smell unbelievably good.

also, wtf, louisville?

Mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark said...

Virginia's defense is nasty.

Georgia Tech has blown a 35-10 lead against Georgia Southern. I'd make a joke but...you know...

rob said...

the acc is looking less than impressive today. of course, everyone thinks that the acc is less than impressive already.

Shlara said...

Thanks for thinking of me Danimal--the Trickster is a cutie!

rob said...

just a terrible play by a georgia southern defensive back to go for a pick instead of making a tackle means that tech will likely escape.

Shlara said...

The KQ household is feeling good after that kick

Danimal said...

Eers! Trickster w 511 yds. Mancrush.

rob said...

randy edsall complaining publicly about how many plays wvu ran. what a whiny bag of dicks.

mr kq said...

Household all in. #Trickstercrush

Whitney said...

Don't mince words, Rob.

Danimal said...

Last year's bama auburn game on due to delay in columbia. This must mean Rob and Teej are at a WM vs Catholic women's lacrosse game.

Mark said...

Lightning delay in Columbia, SC is kind of fucking up my afternoon.

TR said...

I would take Rutgers tonight. Crowd will be hammered, albeit mixed b/w both fans. Gary (Super) Nova is going to surprise some folks. And Penn State ain't good.

Mark said...

Ohio State's leading tackler today was Raekwon McMillan. We are all old as fuck.

Mark said...

If I take your advice and lose the wager you'll refund me my money right, TR?

TR said...

Sure thing.

I kinda want the UGA delay to go long enough for the '13 Iron Bowl to conclude.

zman said...

Should've used the Meth vs. Chef tag. I was overserved last night.

rob said...

i sprained a digit trying to change the channel as fast as i could once i realized they were going to that game on cbs.

Danimal said...

Getting ready to go to a neighbor's followed by dinner out. I would be forever in someone's debt if you could txt or tweet the halftime, 3rd qtr, and final score. And if not, suck it.

Whitney said...

Roobert, did you sprain that weird finger you had the surgery on? Maybe fix it?

Mark said...

Since I openly stated I like South Carolina in this game it counts toward my record, right?

I'm guessing Dan's not going to agree.

Mark said...

That's assuming the Cocks don't blow this obviously.

Clarence said...

Nils Lofgren has a 10-CD box set out. Yes, 10.

Despite running the risk of living out the parody of the BNL song "Box Set" (from back when they were highly entertaining), it's held up well in reviews.

Two tracks I see from the Amazon listing: (1) Bullets Fever and (2) Jhoon Rhee Ad. See here for GTBackstory.

Mark said...

In case you were wondering, I'm officially out on Jeff Driskel,

Mark said...

Having a great Saturday night over here. No problems.

Mark said...

I'm going to die.

Danimal said...

I'm with ya Mark. Irish suck also.

rob said...

south cackalacky held on to win that game? i'm starting to think that mark richt might not be able to get that team over the hump.

rob said...

purdue's helmets are sweet.

rob said...

three-ish weeks in and this college football season is a jumbled mess of a jamboree of a good time.

Mark said...

Florida is in OT against Kentucky at home. I resisted the Ron Zook comparisons but I was wrong. Muschamp can't run a football program.

rob said...

this is one of the weirdest weeks of college football i can remember. of sports in general, really.

Danimal said...

Whaddup g's? Had a little Ronnie Z tonight. Had been a while.

Mark said...

Florida won and my night was saved. Our program is gahbage though.

TR said...

Rutgers abortion

Dave said...

holy chaos in new brunswick. i forgot how clever college kids are. they came up with an original chant: fuck penn state! unfortunate result but very exciting.

Clarence said...

hi gheorghies!

Anonymous said...

JOIN THE ILLUMINATI CALL +27743185702 OR order100.100@aim.com JOIN THE ILLUMINATI FROM SOUTH AFRICA, USA, OR ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD TODAY BE RICH, FAME, AND POSSES POWER.email us on order100.100@aim.com OR call us on +27743185702 for immediate initiation New members registration is now open online now !!!!! BENEFITS GIVEN TO NEW MEMBERS WHO JOIN ILLUMINATI. A Cash Reward of USD $300,000 USD A New Sleek Dream CAR valued at USD $120,000 USD A Dream House bought in the country of your own choice One Month holiday (fully paid) to your dream tourist destination. One year Golf Membership package A V.I.P treatment in all Airports in the World A total Lifestyle change Access to Bohemian Grove Monthly payment of $1,000,000 USD into your bank account every month as a member One Month booked Appointment with Top 5 world Leaders and Top 5 Celebrities in the World. If you are interested call the agent now +27743185702 or send your e-mail to order100.100@aim.com for immediately initiation.New members registration is now open online -

JOIN THE ILLUMINATI AND GET RICH AND POSSES POWER

Lawson Williams said...

HELLO viewer am here to share my testimony on how I finally join the Illuminati hood and became RICH,FAMOUS AND POWERFUL, I tried all my possible best to become a member of the hood but I was scam several times, before I finally come across a testimony on net so I contacted the agent, I was so afraid that he will ask me for lot of money before I can join the hood but to my greatest surprise he only ask me to obtain the membership form which I did and today am so happy to say to the world that am one of the richest by having the sum of $360 millions dollars in my personal account as a new member and am also known all over the world with the business given to me by the Illuminati and also have power to do that which I want...... I know so many people are online also looking for help here is their official email (ILLUMINATIWORLDRICHFAMOUS666@GMAIL.COM) or contact them on WhatsApp via: +2349064844957