I just spent three evenings over the weekend at an urban music festival. Screw that camping shit.I wanted to sleep in my own bed every night. Besides I have a wife and kid and there is no way I get to be away for a long weekend (only exception OBFT).
I had seen several of the bands on the bill before but there were some that I was looking forward to seeing like the Replacements, The Roots, War on Drugs, Lorde and The 1975. But out of all of those bands, the one that put on the best performance for my money was Twenty One Pilots.
Watching them bring a drum kit out into the crowd and performing while people held up said drum kit was really f*cking cool. Adding to the degree of difficultly was the fact they were playing with a sequenced track and had to account for the time it takes to crowdsurf to your drum kit. It was not their first rodeo but still impressive. It got me and couple of other folks I was there with thinking what other gigs threw you for a loop unexpectedly.
Here's my short list, in no particular order: (I'm sure more will pop into my mind as soon as I send this list)
- Fishbone at the Boathouse - Dirty Kibby hanging upside down from the rafters playing his trumpet
- Garage a Trois at Denver Filmore - Charlie Hunter plays ridiculous tambourine solo. yes tambourine solo
- Twenty One Pilots at Boston Calling Festival - drum kit crowdsurfing
- Bob Mould at The Paradise cafe. solo gig with an hour set of acoustic then hour set of electric for about 75 people
- Califone at my house
- Red Hot Chili peppers at Vandy on the Presidents lawn 1989 - they wore the socks and the drummer stuck a drum stick up his ass and threw it into the crowd.