Friday, August 30, 2013

Bite Me, Randy Newman: Righting Wrongs

This blog has been in existence for nearly 10 years. We're nearing a million total views of the 2,726 posts we've published. And we owe the world an enormous apology.

HOW IN THE FUCK HAVE WE NEVER CELEBRATED TIM KURKJIAN?!?!?

There are very few people in any walk of life who love what they do more than Kurkjian. His devotion to baseball borders on obsessive - in fact, obsessives border on Kurkjianesque. From 1989 to 2010, he spent 15 minutes every morning clipping box scores from the newpaper and pasting them into notebooks. His giddy, lunatic exaltation ("Wes Littleton got the save!") after Texas' 30-3 win over Baltimore in 2007 is the stuff of legends. I daresay there aren't two dozen more Gheorghey people on the planet.



Kurkjian's passion for his work is enough by itself to make us like him, but he's also among the most self-effacing members of a press corps that's mostly anything but. Can you imagine Chris Berman allowing himself to be subjected to this:



And if that weren't enough, though he's a diminutive fellow, standing a sturdy 5'5", he's noted as a hard-nosed and more than decent basketball player. From 1986 to 1989, Kurkjian was a regular in Cal Ripken's legendarily serious pickup hoops runs. "The reason Cal invites me is that I always pass the ball to the open man," Kurkjian says. "Cal's like that, too. He always wants to get the job done, and he wants it done the correct way."

I'm reminded every time I hear Kurkjian's unique voice how much I enjoy and respect his approach. And more often than not, I'm moved to at least a smile. On Tuesday, I was moved nearly to tears of laughter, when ESPN's Scott Van Pelt dropped his well-honed Baltimore mock-accent on the unsuspecting Kurkjian. Fast forward to the 5:10 mark in this clip. It'll make you happy.

Our sincere, befuddled apologies to both Kurkjian and America for this egregious oversight.

And Bite Me, Randy Newman.

(In other BMRN news, 5'1" Canadian midfielder Diana Matheson of the Washington Spirit - number 9 in your program, number one in my daughter's heart - was named to the inaugural National Womens Soccer League Best XI after tallying 8 goals and 3 assists. I saw her slot a low-angled shot past Hope Solo to give the Spirit a 1-0 win over the latter's Seattle Reign. I think I heard her whisper to Solo, "Bite Me, Randy Newman", as she celebrated the game-winner.)

19 comments:

Mark said...

Nice work. Timmy 's excited cracking voice is classic. Of course it pales in comparison to his Muttleyesque laugh.

Mark said...

Why did Rutgers go for two in the first OT last night? Jerry?

Marls said...

"I saw her slot...."

Nice

T.J. said...

this is one of my favorite recurring G:TB bits...and I still remember watching him live after the 30-3 game, and it was one of the best segments of television I've ever seen/heard

Mark said...

Overheard at the gym this morning as a couple of guys were discussing Labor Day weekend plans: "The beach is right here. What are you gonna do, go to Orlando where they all speak Mexican?" I swear that this is exactly what was said.

In other news, if you can listen to 'Da' Butt' and not immediately be in a better mood, you have no soul.

Mark said...

DC Gheorgies: the best local high school team around my parts, Cocoa High, will be in DC this weekend to take in Gonzaga Prep. Cocoa is really good. 4 state titles over the past decade with a number of guys earning D1 scholarships with the most recent bring Tarean Folston who's a freshman at Notre Dame.

T.J. said...

rob, we actually have 1,039,494 page views...

Jerry said...

I recorded the Rutgers game with an extra hour and still missed the last couple drives of regulation.

When the game is already in the 50's and teams are scoring at will, there's an argument for going for 2. If you think the 2nd OT is a toss-up and you'll make the 2-pt more than 50% of the time, it's a good call.

Mark said...

I trust your statistician brain. It feels weird to go for 2 before you have to in the 3rd OT to me.

T.J. said...

that middle clip with Arencibia doing a spot on imitation, even on the 30th watch, is hilarious

T.J. said...

so this tumblr exists:

http://69and420.tumblr.com/

Jerry said...

Speaking of old, juvenile material, the announcer on Golf Channel said "easy shot for eagle."

Jerry said...

I could be wrong, but it appears Hunter Mahan is wearing a brown shirt with magenta pants.

Clarence said...

Is Cal wearing jeans?

rob said...

i've examined it closely, and i don't think those are gheans. but it's not entirely clear.

Shlara said...

that BBTN clip is hilarious

Clarence said...

So a series of spam emails I get comes from Mr. Skin. I haven't unsubscribed because, in addition to having pictures of naked celebs in the email, the NSFW subject lines often make me chuckle. Today, in honor of this festive three day weekend and federal holiday, it simply says, "Happy Labia Day from Mr. Skin!" ...with some related pictures that make me wince.

Happy Labia Day, friends.

Mark said...

I've now watched three episodes of The Bridge. I don't love it but I'm intrigued enough to continue on.

rob said...

i just listened to the kurkjian/svp clip again. made me cry laughing once more. teej, i think we need to move that clip to the permalinks on the right.