Monday, July 29, 2013

Saying Goodby to a Quiet Legend

Many of you have heard the name of the gifted songwriter and performer J.J. Cale. Sadly, he passed away from a heart attack yesterday at the age of 74. His work is probably best known through Eric Clapton's catalog. Cale wrote After Midnight and Cocaine, two tunes that Clapton turned into monster hits.

I'll remember Cale most for the songs he wrote that Widespread Panic incorporated into their repertoire, including Travelin' Light and Ride Me High. His work was also covered by Waylon Jennings and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Below is Widespread doing Tavelin' Light earlier this year (as a point of reference, Cale's original funkified version of the song is here). Rest in peace, Mr. Cale. Thanks for the funk.


11 comments:

zman said...

They call me the breeze, I keep movin down the road.

Clarence said...

TR, good quick tribute to an unsung talent.

Are you planning to attend the Interlocken Festival?

TR said...

Sadly, I will be in Maine on vacation that weekend. I think 21 y/o TR would have loved that festival. Not sure about late 30's TR.

rob said...

tr hates the tribe.

Clarence said...

Tribe begins with TR.

zman said...

TR loves the tribe, just ask our favorite ER doctor. And he has The Low End Theory on cassette.

TR said...

And I'm a small part Lenni Lenape, bitches.

rootsminer said...

A real loss. JJ was a gem. I wish I had filled in more of the gaps in my LP collection, since the value on the existing copies has just gone up.

And Z, I'm pretty sure it's "rolling down the road". I'm a picky SOB.

rob said...

freida felcher? from cranston?

rob said...

multiple people in my facebook feed have posted about their kids' rugby teams this week. nobody's posted about football. just sayin'.

Shlara said...

Hi Gheorghies. Work travel sucks. How do you people stay awake this late on the regular?