Friday, July 26, 2013

This is How We Chill...

Ask any (old) fan of hip hop to name their favorite years for the genre and you're likely to hear 1993 mentioned very quickly in the conversation. I'm no different, the years of 1992, 1993 and 1994 were, in many people's eyes, hip hop's Golden Age. A slew of classic albums were released by a wide variety of groups. In 1993 alone albums such as Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers, Midnight Marauders, Enta da Stage, Organix and Here Come the Lords were all released.

There was another album that initially received much less fanfare released in 1993. An album that featured a title track that will go down as one of the most beloved, and underrated songs in hip hop history. I'm writing, of course, of '93 'til Infinity by the Souls of Mischief. Souls were a part of a larger group of MCs known as Hieroglyphics, lead by Del the Funkee Homosapien (who released another underrated album in No Need for Alarm in 1993) and hailed from East Oakland. Despite their Oakland roots, Souls (and Hiero as a whole) were unlike anything else in rap on the West Coast. Or really anything in hip hop before or after them. Not quite gangsta like NWA, not quite afrocentric like the Native Tongues. They were an eclectic group of young guys (Very young. Some members were just 18 at the time of the albums release) who loved emceeing and the emerging hip hop culture in the Bay Area and came together to release a song, and album, that would become an unlikely classic.

If you've never heard '93 'Til Infinity, I encourage you to listen.



To this day, I still get goosebumps when I hear the first notes of this song. It changed my life. No, really. Up to this point I had only listened to rap from New York and Los Angeles (though the release of Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik in 1994 would soon thrust Atlanta's hip hop into my ears and life). I had never really listened to so called "underground hip hop" prior to this. I probably didn't know it existed. I had heard a few songs by Del (MIstadobalina and Catch a Bad One come to mind) and liked them but nothing like this. This album and my desire to hear more acts in hip hop like this changed everything. This song and the accompanying album (which is a great listen from start to finish for me to this day) exposed me to all types of MCs and groups I'd never heard of and dramatically affected my tastes for years to come.

Somehow, I had never really thought about all this before a few weeks ago. I'd also not thought about how long ago this album was released until then either. Not until I found out that Souls of Mischief would be going on the 20th Anniversary of the '93 'Til Infinity tour this summer. After I stopped feeling old as hell, I looked up tour dates and discovered that said tour would be stopping in Orlando at my favorite live music venue, The Social. That stop is tonight. I'm sure I don't need to tell you where I'll be later.

22 comments:

zman said...

Have a good time. I'm waiting for the Das Efx reunion tour to hit the Teaneck Armory.

Marls said...

Drew, if that show ever happens, let me know.

Dark and Stormy's being served up on the Marls family balcony in case anybody is in the greater Long Isalnd City area. Clarence can vouch for the views.

Dave said...

summer mark! awesome.

my cousins and dad are still on the beach, sipping vodka and gin from solo cups. i nearly pissed myself packing up the beach stuff. thanks dale's.

Marls said...

Just watched a seaplane do a touch and go after a police boat cut in front of them. We alone lost several douchbags on their way to the hamptons.

rob said...

dope little post. always learn stuff when mark posts about rap.

Mark said...

Noted hip hop fan Greg is with me tonight. Should be an interesting evening.

Marls said...

Watch out for joe kickass

Mark said...

I'm counting on his arrival tonight, Marls.

Mark said...

Intro DJ is on. Break battles going on. Sample of artists played so far: Tribe, Wu-Tang, Black Moon, Slick Rick, KRS-One, Outkast, Gangstarr. Hughes & SWV approved.

Danimal said...

Hi Gheorghies.

Jet lag is neat. Season 5 of Children's Hospital has begun.

Mr KQ said...

Took nephew Liam Quinn(son of bro of KQ) to Nats game last night. He's a HUGE Mets/Harvey fan. Ended up with a Harvey foul ball from Span. On the way out as we passed by set of Ray Knight and Johnny Holliday, noticed during a commercial Knight was signing a hat thrown up by a kid. Told nephew to go around the side and give a go. Throws it up and he signs "Ray Knight 1986 World Series MVP".

Good night for the kid.

Marls said...

Also a good kid.

zman said...

Would be cooler if you saw Michael Knight and KITT.

Clarence said...

Mets / Nats today. Thanks for seat recs. section 116. 5 rows above Mets dugout. Sweet.

rob said...

just ate bacon three ways: espresso glazed, honey chipotle, and sriracha. teejay's wife can cook some shit.

Mark said...

Sriracha? Woah. I need my wife to get her hands on that recipe.

Mark said...

Despite my rap snobbery I often find myself loving songs I shouldn't. I've discussed Hands on the Wheel here before. The latest guilty pleasure? Bible on the Dash. So bad...but so good.

rob said...

the teej, shlara, my kids and i are headed to gheorghetown tomorrow to catch some kenner league action tomorrow. kinda excited.

Mark said...

That's awesome. I'm jealous. Very jealous.

zman said...

I'm catching some hot dinosaur action in Secaucus tomorrow. Field Station: Dinosaurs bitches!

Danimal said...

Caught up on GTB posts. Nice piece by Zed. And had to laugh also at Dave's follow up.

Z.....honestly I am not a fan of today's Zoot color schemes. I have a pair of the Ultra TT's from last year which are a more pleasing to my eye red and black. It is my second pair of the TT's. If I were to get a pair today it would be the Kalani's. it should be noted that a good friend is on the Zoot elite amateur tri team. Every couple of months he lets his pals know he is placing an order. We tell him what we want and we get it at half off. Otherwise I wouldn't be as quick on the spend.

I would venture to guess in the next couple of months at least some of these color schemes will change, and we might even see some new models. As you can tell, with the offering of only 12 different models for men they are a small company, marketing by way of people like my friend.

If interested in a pair, I can get anyone the friendly discount. Sizing runs true to form. Will see him this a.m. So will find out when next order is. You don't need to be a tri guy to wear these...they are one of the few shoes that are better sockless. Light as mick ultra and pretty snappy too.

Dave said...

zman, here is your prep for field station dinosaur:

http://tinyurl.com/lswc4mh