Sunday, February 24, 2019

WikiMEdia

Got on a random internet bender a couple of nights ago and started compiling a list of people I know who have Wikipedia profiles. I've defined 'know' fairly loosely to mean that I've actually had a conversation with them. I've actually had drinks with majority of the people on my list. Good effort by me to understand what's important.

Because I don't really want any of these folks to Ghoogle themselves and find out that I have a secret blog life, I'll post the first sentence of each of their profiles with a link to their Wikipedia entry, and maybe a little bit about how I know them. Given the gaps I increasingly find in my memory, I bet you'll remind me of others I know.

I met this guy through his sister at a Rhett Miller show at The Hamilton. He does a killer Mike Tyson imitation. From Wikipedia, "[He] was born in New York City;[1] his father...was a champion boxer at Georgetown University and later a character actor."

This fellow is a current colleague, and one of the reasons I believe so strongly in the integrity of the FBI in its dealings with the President*. Wiki says, "[He] is an American law enforcement officer and a former Deputy Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation."

From a similar background (and the same state of origin) as the previous dude, I used to work with this guy before he moved on about two years ago. He was one of the folks who originally arrested El Chapo. That's a hell of a story. Here's Wiki, "[He] is an American law enforcement officer and business executive who was the first head of Homeland Security Investigations for US Immigration and Customs Enforcement, serving in that role from 2010 to 2014.

Closer to our hearts here at G:TB, I was on a first-name basis with this guy when he was in charge of my alma mater's athletic department. Says the 'pedia, "[He] is a former American college athletics administrator and professional basketball player."

This guy is part of the swamp, and has been for a long time. His firm does lobbying work for my company. According to Wikipedia, "[He] is a Minnesota politician and lawyer. He was the U.S. Representative for Minnesota's 6th congressional district as a DFL member from January 4, 1977, to January 3, 1993, in the 98th, 99th, 100th, 101st, and 102nd Congresses, serving as Whip-at-Large and as a member of the Committees on Energy and Commerce and Post Office and Civil Service."

I work with this woman, and she's remarkable. "[She] is an American community leader, politician and activist." She was also the first African American and first woman to be the mayor of Minneapolis.

This gentleman is the CEO of my company. He's a good dude, and "[he] is an American business executive."

This dude is the only actual rock star I know. He was a good friend in college, and though I've lost touch with him, every time I see him, it's a genuinely good time, and never cumbersome. He's actually not on Wikipedia himself, but he is in his band's page: "[It] was an American rock band." The "was" is a little bit sad.

Finally, at least of the people I know I know, this guy's probably the most famous, and definitely the wealthiest. Or at least he was before he passed away in 2003. I met him at a cocktail party during graduate school, and several times thereafter. We were on a first-name basis, and he used to ask me how Tiger Woods had done earlier in the day whenever I saw him. He offered me an unpaid internship in Manhattan with his firm, and to this day I wonder what would've happened had I accepted it. "[He] was an American lawyer, sports agent and writer."

This has all the makings of a recurring bit, so take notes, my friends. And tell us all who you know.

30 comments:

Marls said...

What about Bron Bron and Gheorghe?

rob said...

i feel like everyone on the list would recognize me on sight. don't think that's true with bron and ghitsa, as much as i wish it were.

Marls said...

Monty has one

zman said...

This is a fun exercise. Do you know a partial owner of the Dodgers?

rob said...

that's why we're crowdsourcing this bad boy. i used to live with a partial owner of the dodgers.

Mark said...

It’s 85 degrees here right now. My wife is at the beach. I’m wearing flips flips and fixing to jump in the pool. Coastal Florida is so nice.

Whitney said...

Shut it, Mark. Weather here has been dreadful.

TR, I’m the lead crybaby you mentioned in the prior post comments. The Mr. Rogers doc is the best thing I saw in 2018. Except for my friends at the 25th annual OBFT.

Mark said...

No really, Whit. It’s fucking beautiful here today.

Whitney said...

Damn you

TR said...

Queef Latina presenting at the Oscars!

T.J. said...

U.N.I.T.Y.

TR said...

Bette Midler’s not afraid to show some cleavage.

rootsminer said...

Damn wind kept me from getting to warmer climes today. Will try again tomorrow.

Also, I once snorted gin with a world record holder. Ouch.

T.J. said...

ah yes, snorting gin. that was quite a week

rootsminer said...

Teej, I don't know if you got hooked, but I only did it the once. Did you go on a weeklong gin snorting bender?

T.J. said...

definitely ran it back more than once, since I am a moron incapable of moderation

then of course there was the time years later that we crashed the house as graduates and snorted jello shots off a cafeteria tray at 3am

good times

zman said...

Gin snorts are terrible.

Whitney said...

Gin snorts would appear on my list of things I’ll never do.

That list could fit on a cocktail napkin.

rob said...

you've snorted tequila salt, probably more than once. for what it's worth.

rootsminer said...

Z, were you down for the gin snorts weekend, or did I goad you into it another time?

It's been within the past year that I would even drink gin again.

zman said...

I too snorted gin with an Olympic gold medalist, largely because he is an Olympic gold medalist and because his sister (a Pi Lam little sister) did them and called me all sorts of names if I didn't. Peer pressure. I think I'm allergic to juniper so the snorts were not fun.

Marls said...

I like to think that FOG:TB, Slick 50, named his daughter after gin snorts.

rob said...

he named his daughter sapphire?

Whitney said...

Tanqueray, but they call her Tanq.

Whitney said...

We did indeed snort salt, most recently in Dublin. It's part of a Stuntman Shot. And it's awful.

The Stuntman

1 shot bad tequila
1 lime wedge
Table salt

1. Snort a line/mound of salt
2. Drink the shot of tequila
3. Squirt the lime into your eye

The Urban dictionary attributes it to rugby tradition, though more than one account has these three steps followed by a punch or smack to your own face by a comrade in arms. No thank you. We had plenty of that with the "There's No Reason for That" game at beach week that had us smacking each other in the face way too many times.

zman said...

Sapphire is the hidden jewel of the Bronx.

Marls said...

Sapphire, jock jams, spicy sausage & a beernami - that was a hell of a day.

Mr KQ said...

Back on Jack Rugby Radio Fairfax Ch 37 tonight 8pm. Special guest Mick Galwey capped 41 times for Ireland. Also won an All Ireland championship in Gaelic football at age 19. Apparently likes the craic but who doesn't?

rob said...

anyone got any hot bloggy content for tomorrow?

Danimal said...

Just about ran into Steph Curry and Iguodala in their golf carts. They are currently playing some golf somewhere in Miami.