Sunday, July 03, 2011

It Puts the Billy Lotion in the iPod

G:TB previously told you about Aloe Blacc. You're a fool if you continue to deprive yourself of his modern take on classic soul. Go get "Good Things" immediately. If you're not careful you might get yourself laid.

Willie Evans Jr., possibly the best MC to ever come out of Jacksonville, apparently reads our posts as he recently made a (free!) album using only samples from "Good Things." He called it "Billy Lotion." I suggest you give it a listen.



My favorite track is "Rap Games," for which Evans made a video based on the Aloe Blacc video based on my TR/FD lovechild post. I would characterize it as bangin' to quite bangin'.



If this isn't enough for you, here's Willie's explanation of the story behind the origin of "Billy Lotion":

The good people over at High Water Music asked me to stop playing Tekken 6 long enough to explain/talk about Billy Lotion. Billy Lotion is essentially the product of Sucio Smash letting me hear Aloe Blacc’s most recent album and then saying “What if you made a beat cd out of this album?” After listening to (and being blown away by) the album I sat down, partook of the shrubbery and made beats. It’s pretty much that simple. This is basically a pet project that, through the magic of the ‘SucioPrism’ is now in your hard drive and hopefully on your phone/ipod/pad/blah. Please enjoy. And buy 1000 copies of my next album. I’m obligated to say that. But do it though. – Willie Evans Jr.

I only play to buy one copy of Willie's next album, "Introducin,’" which comes out on July 19th, but I think he won't mind.

18 comments:

Danimal said...

Fast Times on 265....DTV.....Danger is my business.

rob said...

djokovic looking strong to quite strong

zman said...

Nadal just wants to get off the court at this point. He's all out of whack.

zman said...

Or not.

Clarence said...

Drank beer all day yesterday on the Tennessee River. Did some tubin', swam in a salt water pool, and drove golf balls into the river. Ate wings and sausage. Redneck Riviera.

Capped off the day by drinking a holy shitload of moonshine. Much of it was apple pie flavored. Back for more today, planning to take the host up on the offer to take some back home.

rob said...

sing alabama songs, too?

Clarence said...

This is Tennessee, dude. No Alabama here.

Also, no Jewish people. Or Muslims. Or people who are "spiritual but not religious."

Clarence said...

Djokovic looks like the kid in Wizards of Waverly Place.

zman said...

Sergio Tacchini gear still isn't cool.

TR said...

I refuse to believe this person is anything besides an ebony adult film star who hangs out with Lexington Steele.

Dave said...

saltwater pool? why have a saltwater pool in Tennessee?

i like the music but hate that video-- nearly made me have an epileptic seizure.

moonshine at the obft?

Mark said...

Z put me on to Willie Evans Jr. a few weeks ago. Dopeness. Partook in the shrubbery made me chuckle. Speaking of shrubbery...

Clarence said...

There are a few folks 'round these parts who could answer to "Roger the Shrubber."

Dave said...

i like my shrubbery slightly higher, so i get a two level effect.

Clarence said...

Loud roaring boat just blew by on the river. Everybody at this party knew who it was, because the same loud-assed boat blows by all the time and annoys people. Guess who?

Albert Haynesworth.

zman said...

It would've been cooler if it was Fred Smoot's boat.

Mark said...

Or if the boat was named Stomp You Out. As much fun as it sounds like Igor is having, I doubt I could handle it. I hate Tennessee that much.

Squeaky said...

Do not contact the great Yojo via text. Wife truly owns said phone. And with night out, bails at 8:15pm never to be heard from again. no mini/quasi g:tb drink up on the cape be damned.

Way to late for me to be up.