Wednesday, February 03, 2010

This Week in Wrenball

In a year marked with flabbergasting achievements and giddiness run amok, the Wrens added another feather to their already full cap (just don't tell the NCAA) on Monday. W&M became one of five CAA schools earning slots in the televised portion of the made-for-ESPN Bracketbusters event when they were selected to play the Iona Gaels on Friday, February 19 at 9:00 on ESPNU.

The Tribe (15-6, 7-4, RPI 51*) have a little work to take care of in conference before they head to New Rochelle, starting with a rematch with Old Dominion this evening in Norfolk. ODU, who line up against Northern Iowa in one of the tastier Bracketbusters matchups, fell to Northeastern in Boston on Saturday. The Monarchs are a game behind 10-1 George Mason in the CAA standings. W&M fell, 58-55, to Blaine Taylor's squad just 10 days ago.

W&M heads to the Dirty South (I don't know what that means, but all the kids keep saying it) over the weekend to take on Georgia State. The Panthers are amongst the CAA's lesser lights, but the Wrens aren't a team that can take anyone lightly.

David Schneider's 11 of 13 night at the free throw line offset his 1-for-8 effort from the field in the Tribe's 54-51 win over Drexel on Saturday. The win elevated the Tribe into a flat-footed tie with VCU and Drexel for 4th place in the CAA. The gap between 4th and 5th is bigger than that between Barney Frank and James Inhofe, as the top four seeds get first-round byes in the conference tournament. W&M faces ODU, Northeastern, and George Mason in its final 7 games, in addition to Georgia State, Delaware, Towson, and UNC Wilmington. Anything worse than 5-2 over that stretch probably means Team G:TB is taking Friday, March 5 off work to head to Richmond instead of waiting until the following day.

Apologies for the quarter-assed effort, but the Man has had his designs on my time this week. I promise to put more ass into it soon.

9 comments:

TR said...

I love carpet...I love desk. I love lamp!

T.J. said...

http://lolplants.com/

T.J. said...

Mark, will you be live blogging ESPNU's 9 hours of Signing Day coverage?

T.J. said...

Pour out a little for your 1950's homies...51 years ago today the music died. http://bit.ly/9np92U

Mark said...

I won't be liveblogging, but I do have a NSD post set to run at 10:30. I'm also receiving texts on Gator commits.

TR said...

This Signing Day nonsense is pretty much ESPN fabricating an event to pump up its own coverage.

My favorite signing moment of all time was when Marbury had a press conference in high school to announce. He wore gear from one school, and then took it off to reveal Georgia Tech. I forget if it was a hat or a shirt (and I forget the other school), but he tried to make it suspenseful and ended up looking like a pretentious dildo. Glad to see he's changed his ways.

Mark said...

I have to disagree with your take on ESPNs coverage TR. There's a real demand for coverage. Recruiting is big enough to support 3 separate recruiting services (rivals, scout and espn) as well as two nationally televised high school all-star games. While NSD may be nonsense, plenty of people care a ton about it and recruiting is an essential element of success in college football. People care, pathetic or not, they care a lot.

As for Marbury, his antics at his signing are par for the course these days. I've seen kids take off a jacket to reveal a jersey only to rip off said jersey (Hulkster style) to reveal another team's jersey.

TR said...

I understand recruiting, but acting like today is an "event" is a stretch.

Of course, the NFL just turned the draft into an all-weekend Kiper-ganza, so what the F do I know. I resent the sentiment that I need to gobble every item that's out there or I'm not a hard-core fan. The NFL is great at pushing the "you need to be invested in every tiny detail about your team or you're not hardcore" mentality.

I could give a shit about seeing rounds 3-7 on TV. Other than the random marquee name, it's ton of talking heads trying to fake knowledge while they read off cue cards to tell us about a guard from UTEP with good footwork.

Mark said...

Well, I agree with that. Everything in sports is over saturated at this point. NSD is an event to some. To me, it's just a day where I spend an inordinate amount of time on message boards.