Wednesday, April 06, 2005

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's . .

So, I was fortunate to score some box tickets to the Wiz-Celts game last night at the ol' missy. And boy was I in for a treat. Not because the game was anything special (Wiz looked like poo poo against the "8-less" Celts) or the catored spread in the luxury suite was oh so scrumdeliumptious. No, for none of these reasons was my evening an unexpected surprise. The treat revealed itself as I pulled into the parking garage on 6th Street around tip-off. As I rounded one of those painfully tight curves leading downward into the catacombs of MCI Center, I noticed a figure walking towards me in the middle of the roadway. It was a gangly looking fellow in a really bad suit shuffling up the parking tunnel where people clearly are not supposed to be walking. Was this guy completely lost, drunk, both? Who knew? As I drove further down the ramp and the distance between the man and my car shortened, another fact fell into place. This man was really tall. He was kind of slouching as he walked, but there was still no mistaking his height. It appeared he was actully ducking to keep his head from whacking the clearance sign hanging above the tunnel. I'm somewhere between 6 and 9 feet from pummeling this wayward giant when it becomes clear who was stumbling towards me . . .

The man somehow managed to squeeze by me between the driver-side of the car and the concrete wall beside him. Still not sure how I didn't trample his size 18's as I pulled by - hmm? Anyway, I wasn't as fortunate as you might think - as he squeezed by, ASS TOWARDS THE WALL - I got an unsettling view of his crotch through the window in super slo-mo. Will probably haunt me for years to come. Quite uncomfortable at this point as you might imagine, so I couldn't get any good documentation. So, I just continued on to my parking spot and place in the unnamed corporate box.

However, fate dealt me second ace on this particular night. During a timeout, Wiz down 15 or so, I walked out into the box-level hallway to make a phone call. I yapped for a minute or two and then, without even a hint of a closing remark, snapped shut the phone, Huggy Lowdown-style. Immediately kicked the trusty PCS phone into camera-mode and snapped this picture of our story's unnamed protagonist . . . see if you recognize him . . .

Dennis set record for longest link ever

2 comments:

T.J. said...

God bless Big Gheorghe.

Whitney said...

I was in the Cap Centre the night Gheorghe scored his career-high of 31 points for the Bullets against the Charlotte Hornets.

Yikes. Every single thing in that sentence is now obsolete. You think maybe I was drinking Bud Dry that night?