Friday, April 02, 2021

Back in Purple

"Yip, yip yip yip" is amusing when it comes from the Martians of the Muppetverse. It's less fun when it describes a professional baseball pitcher who - inexplicably and suddenly - can't throw strikes.

(Did I just sneak a Muppets reference into a post where it had no business showing up? Yes. Yes, I did. It's the little things that make this place genius, friends.)

As I sit in my living room watching the Red Sox host the Orioles in the season's first game at Fenway Park, I'm as far removed from my rabid baseball fandom as I've been in years. But the game (and that place) still bring a smile. And the first week of the season still heralds spring and summer, which my toes - frozen from walking my dog in 25 degree temperatures this morning - desperately need.

One of the best stories from yesterday's MLB Opening Day happened in Denver, where the Colorado Rockies took on the defending champion Los Angeles Dodgers. Colorado beat the Clayton Kershaw and the Dodgers, 8-5. That's interesting, but the cool part of the story was the way the game ended. Daniel Bard struck out two and pitched a scoreless ninth inning to record the save for the Rockies.

Bard quietly pitched pretty well in 23 games with the Rockies during last year's bizarro season, posting a 3.65 ERA and striking out more than a batter per inning. Quietly for me, I guess (see above), since he did win the 2020 MLB Comeback Player of the Year award. Before that, you have to go back to 2013 to find evidence of Daniel Bard's baseball career. And therein lies the story.

The Red Sox drafted Bard out of UNC in 2006 after a stellar college career. He reached the majors in 2009, and played a key role as a setup man as the Sox won the World Series. Bard struck out 63 in 49.1 innings that season. He was even more effective in 2010 and 2011, appearing in more than 70 games each season with a sub-1.00 WHIP. Bard looked for all the world like the heir apparent to the mantle of next great closer.

Until he stopped being able to throw strikes. He lost his control, and the Sox spiraled themselves in 2012. Bard walked more men than he struck out that year. He pitched twice in Boston in 2013, and was out of the game - seemingly for good.

Anna Katherine Clemmons wrote a terrific feature on Bard's comeback yesterday for Charlotte Magazine. It tells the story of the time Bard spent away from the game. Or at least off the mound. While he battled mental challenges, he used his experience to mentor players in the Arizona Diamondbacks system. When the players he was coaching saw him throw, they wondered why he was coaching and not on the mound.

Finally, he decided to give it another shot. At the time, his wife Adair was nervous, “I knew it was a serious thought, which made me excited and terrified at the same time.”

The Rockies signed him, and Bard showed that the electric stuff of his youth was still there. And he showed that he could control it. I'll give Clemmons the final word, "However this season unfolds, Bard has his family, his comeback, and his shift in perspective. One key to control, it turns out, is letting go of it. It’s a game, he tells himself nowadays. Just go throw the ball. If you enjoy it, keep doing it. If not, do something else. “For a long time, I put a lot of pressure on myself that I had to live up to this expectation,” he says. “But life in general—baseball especially—only has as much meaning as you assign to it.”

(Okay, not exactly the last word. As I posted this, I noticed that we already had a 'daniel bard' label. I found that odd. So I searched it, and found this post from 2014. In it, I lament Bard's painful fall from grace, and hope that he finds a way back to the bigs. And so he did. Right on, Daniel Bard.)

Also, I did want an excuse to post this:

26 comments:

Mark said...

How come nobody (Rob) told me there was a docuseries following Tottenham’s last season on Amazon?

rootsminer said...

I should be filming a documentary right now. I hauled and old, small, HEAVY (mostly concrete) safe out of our building on a pallet jack today. Put it up on free craigslist. There will be more than a few tweakers tryin to wrangle it this weekend. It really could be great entertainment.

rob said...

so paul pierce had an interesting evening

Dave said...

grains, sugar, dairy, legumes. yikes. i'm trying to survive eliminating grains and sugars (but not fucking beer, fuck that).

i didn't drink last night and i didn't eat sugar or grains and fucking CRUSHED the NYT mini. a new era of dominance has begun!

Mark said...

Paul Pierce is a fucking legend.

rootsminer said...

Well, someone took the safe away. I am amazed. There's little chance there was anything in it, and unless they're cracking the combination it's going to take a lot of effort to find out. Not installing a wildlife camera to document the myriad aborted efforts was a huge missed opportunity.

In other news, I'm stunned that the former pres took advantage of his donors-all of the emails seemed so legit!

rob said...

baylor just comprehensively kicked houston's ass in the first half. be interesting to see what sampson can do to solve that defense.

Whitney said...

Miley Cyrus looking like Vince Neil in 1984

Mark said...

I was pretty surprised Baylor took them apart like that. I was anticipating a tight game. I’m anticipating another blowout. Just hoping for a classic on Monday night between the, clearly, two best teams all year.

rob said...

the hoops gods owe us gonzaga/baylor. that could be epic.

Mark said...

Happy to be wrong this far in UCLA-Gonzaga. Definitely didn’t think UCLA could hang with this pace.

rob said...

i'm rooting hard for gonzaga. that first half made me nervous. ucla are playing hard and well.

Mark said...

I’m a a Tiger Campbell fan as a PG. Just wish he could shoot.

Mark said...

I’m an enormous Jalen Suggs fan.

rob said...

yeah, that kid has a whole lot of game. that entry to timme was sick.

rob said...

timme's seal wasn't bad, either

rootsminer said...

What a game. Has cfb ever had a final four game that compelling?

Mark said...

OWOWOWOOWOWOW

rob said...

that was fun

rob said...

rootsy, how soon we forget. unc and villanova ended on a buzzer-beater just 5 years ago.

rootsminer said...

That was the championship game, right? I was mainly commenting on how cfb semis are often massacres.

Mark said...

Rob- rootsy said CFB. I’d say he’s right as far as semi finals go. Been some a couple good ones but nothing like tonight

rob said...

reading is fundamental. carry on, y'all.

rob said...

the teej has risen! and hopefully had a good birthday breakfast.

Whitney said...

Got my second shot on Friday and it is still kicking my ass. Still glad to have it.

Whitney said...

Happy birthday Teejus