GTBers and FoGTBers, I have an opportunity for you…
1. Do you like to grow facial hair?
2. Do you like to compete?
3. Do you want to ensure the next generation of GTB writers is properly prepared to take over the blogosphere?
I know your answer to every question is a resounding YES.
So, here are the details:
What is this all about?
826DC is raising money by hosting a moustache-a-thon during the month of March. I'm on the board for 826DC and would love your support.
826DC, the newest chapter in the 826 network, is a nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6 through 18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write.
The organization was founded 10 years ago in San Francisco by author Dave Eggers. Each of the centers has a quirky storefront—in SF it's a Pirate Supply store, in Ann Arbor it’s a Robot Supply & Repair shop, and in DC we have the Museum of Unnatural History where we sell primordial soup, missing links and other such things. You may be familiar with us from Dave's TED Prize speech, or this Funny or Die video by 826LA advisory board member Judd Apatow. Or you may know about 826 from reading the HuffPo tribute to Christopher Hitchens - he was on the 826DC advisory council. Or maybe you purchased the Very She & Him Christmas album by the a-dork-able Zooey Deschanel (with the proceeds going to 826National.)
There are many reasons to love 826—so pick one that works best for you. To kick things off, I will sponsor any GTBer who participates.
And, if the Doofus Overlord agrees, we can post photos on the blog every Monday to compare and contrast progress.
What do I need to do?
• Shave any and all facial hair on Monday, February 27, 2012 (prior to the kickoff)
• Grow a moustache from March 1 – March 31.
• Ask people to sponsor your moustache by donating money to 826DC.
• Come to March Moustache Mondays, the weekly check-in/happy hours, at Meridian Pint (3400 11th St NW) at 6 p.m. every Monday in the month of March. (or take a photo every Monday and send it to Shlara or email@example.com.) An awesome weekly prize will be distributed at each of the check-ins/parties based on who raised the most money for the previous week.
• Celebrate at the end of Moustache-a-thon party on March 31!
How do I win?
Grow the best moustache AND raise the most money. Solicit contributions from everyone you know and everyone you wish to know. This is the totally legit reason you've been looking for to get your co-workers, driinking buddies (I'm looking at you Igor), students (Dave), and friends to support your hirstute habit.
What kind of moustache should I grow?
When we think of moustache, we think of hair on the skin between the upper lip and the bottom of the nose. There are many styles of mustache, including the Fu Manchu, handlebar, and walrus. Mutton chops encouraged! Goatees and beards strongly discouraged!