Thursday, February 17, 2005

Terrible Terrapins

I know Jay Bilas and the gang at ESPN have declared Maryland a "lock" to make the tournament based on two wins versus Duke, but I'm pretty sure if the Terps lose out to finish 15-12 and 6-10 in the ACC, they'll be eating those words. Of course, the Terps probably won't do that, but Gary's boys seem to turn in a sleepwalker every third game or so, and I refuse to believe they're a shoo-in yet. They lost by 19 last night in Raleigh to get swept this season by the Wolfpack -- who are 3-7 in the ACC when not playing Maryland. The Terps are 1-7 on the road this season. The Terps lost to Clemson (2-9 ACC). The Terps are lucky that the cockamamie ACC schedule (thanks to the new additions) dictates that they only have to play Wake Forest and Georgia Tech once each. I'm a Maryland fan and I'll keep cheering for them, but if I'm a committee member, those two wins against Duke do NOT suffice. If Gary Williams can't inspire his team to win at least two of the four remaining contests (at UVA, Clemson, UNC, at VPI), maybe even three, I see the NIT in Maryland's future.

5 comments:

Jerry said...

You're a Maryland fan? Really? Why?

I'm apathetic towards Maryland, I just think it's funny that their fans were whining about a lack of respect in the preseason because they were ranked something like #12 in the country in SI.

Dennis said...

Maryland hoops and Gary Williams can all sip on my slimy brown poop.

Whitney said...

I was a UVA fan as a kid, as all kids who grow up in UVA (and not raised by Tech grad parents) are trained to be. It was cool in the Ralph Sampson era -- I still have a basketball signed by Ralph - estimated 2005 value: almost as much as the ball would be worth with no signature.

I eventually grew to loathe much of what the "Wahoos" and their followers are all about (ugh), and when I moved up here, it was easy to root for the Terps because they were local, they had none of the attitude of the UVA douches, they had a rising-from-Len-Bias's-ashes program, and every UVA friend was horrified that I could possibly root for white trash Maryland. Good times watching Joe Smith, Exree Hipp, Keef Boof, etc. Plus Gary Williams is fun to root for -- an alum who gives his all, sweats like a spaz, goes to Dewey, drinks like a disabled vet, and hits on skanks like it's written into NCAA code. Then they got better and better until they won it all. I'm still shocked they pulled it off. What a coup for Gary Williams.

And Dennis -- you can probably rid yourself of the "slimy" with more greens and an occasional spoon of Kaopectate.

Dennis said...

Wait, you left out, treats his players with no respect, trash-talks to his peers publicly, humiliates his reserves by cursing at the bench when the team he puts on the floor f's up, and don't forget, he recruits crack babies!!!

Whitney said...

It was implied.