Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Staff Member Guestie

Not-all-that-grumpy old man Dave Fairbank has been made an official member of the G:TB staff, but he professes not to understand this newfangled blogging technology, though I guarandamntee that he had to deal with any number of content management systems during his professional career. Furthermore, I've tasked the Doofus Overlord with training our newest hire, but he's too busy strutting the runway in Milan:


In any event, here's a Corona Diary from OBX for your reading pleasure.

My wife’s phone pinged at 7:30 a.m. Her friend’s text message was brief: I heard Publix is re-stocked with TP and cleaning products. You might have a chance if you go now.

We weren’t to the point of using old magazine pages and bleach-soaked rags, but opportunity is opportunity. We hustled the half-mile to the grocery store. As we approached, we saw people lined up in front of the building, waiting to enter. Nearly everybody wore masks. My wife parked, put on her homemade mask, and jumped out to get in line. One store worker was at the door, letting in a few people at a time. A couple others retrieved shopping carts in the parking lot and wheeled them back into the store.

Some shoppers emerged with carts full of groceries. Most came out carrying small plastic bags and oversize packages of toilet paper and paper towels under their arms. My wife went straight to the paper and cleaning products aisles. They were stocked, but emptying rapidly. She grabbed a bundle of TP and the last two canisters of Lysol disinfectant wipes, one for us, the other for her friend. When she reached the checkout counter, a worker informed her that the wipes were just one to a customer. My wife asked a woman behind her in line if she needed wipes. The woman said she did. My wife told her, I picked up the last two and had to set one aside, so there you go.

Score!
My wife was in and out in less than 10 minutes and came back to the car a little frazzled. The tension and anxiety within the store were thick as August humidity. She wanted no part of an extended trip, not first thing in the morning, not among that scramble of shoppers. The mission was toilet paper and wipes. Everything else could wait.

Similar scenes are playing out all over the country, thanks to the pandemapalooza. Everybody’s off-balance, a little shaggier, a little crispier. Normal, always a moving target, might as well be a flock of swallows – African or European, laden or otherwise.

It feels peculiar here, on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. We’re a community of about 35,000 people spread over roughly 100 miles. But we have a disproportionate number of grocery stores large and small, particularly on the northern end of the island, owing to the tourist economy and numbers of visitors and rental properties. In the summer, when the island bulges with 150-175,000 people, it’s not uncommon to go into grocery stores and find depleted stocks of certain items – meat, paper products, beer. Frequent deliveries guarantee that shortages are generally no more than a day, or perhaps just hours. Tourism, y’all. Early-morning grocery rushes and empty shelves in March and April, however, are sure signs that something’s amiss – never mind masked shoppers.

Normally at this time of year, everyone would be gearing up for the season. Businesses and restaurants hiring, musicians lining up gigs, visitors trickling in when the weather’s decent. All that’s on hold. Some restaurants and bars have closed temporarily. Those that are open offer take-out and delivery only. Traffic and people flow feel more like January than springtime.

Our county, Dare, permits only residents and essential personnel – medical, delivery, construction and maintenance workers. Officials even prohibited non-resident property owners for the past month, which frosted many of them, as well as those who depend on their business. Non-resident owners will be permitted in starting next week. There’s no sign yet of allowing visitors. Gov. Roy Cooper issued a ‘stay home, stay healthy’ order weeks ago and has indicated that he’ll need to see at least a couple weeks of flattening the curve and significant diminution of new virus cases before he’ll consider opening beach communities to visitors.

I don’t have answers. I feel for folks who depend on tourism and the summer months for their livelihood, as well as anyone in the restaurant and service industries whose lives have been upended. Some local folks itching for the county to re-open point to the fact that we’ve had fewer than two dozen cases overall and no new cases in more than two weeks, and that most of those cases originated outside the county. That indicates we’re pretty clean and that measures we’ve taken are working, though it’s foolish to think we’re immune. Without comprehensive testing and tracking, it’s a little like bird-watching at night. Given that we’re about two steps up from a rural community six to eight months of the year, if some asymptomatic person or people came here and went all Johnny Appleseed with the virus, it would quickly overwhelm the local medical structure’s capabilities.

The summer here almost certainly will be different than any we’ve seen. My wife and I are more fortunate than many, and I don’t think we’ll have to make a lot of 7 a.m. grocery store runs. But I’m still going to hold off dumping old magazines in the recycle bin. Never know.

20 comments:

zman said...

Trips to the grocery store are like journeys into a sci-fi movie. Our local store makes every one wear a mask. Many people have those blue-and-white disposable masks like a dentist wears, or those white N95 masks carpenters wear when doing a lot of sanding. But many people just wear a scarf or a bandana, while some have a full respirator mask with integrated face shield like you wear when painting a car. I've even seen a guy in a shemagh. At this point I wouldn't be surprised to see someone decked out in Reggie Ledoux's gas mask. We were lucky to have a friend send us four homemade masks and a neighbor gave us another.

The grocers also provide disinfecting wipes at the door so you can wipe down the handle of your shopping cart. They used to provide gloves but I don't know if they still do.

They still play recorded messages over the PA system, but instead of encouraging you to try their fresh pasta or rotisserie chicken, they say "Social distancing is critical to stopping the spread of the covid-19 virus. Please do your part by staying at least 6 feet away from other shoppers and following the direction of the arrows on the floor." It's surreal. If someone stops their cart in the middle of the aisle you have to wait for them to decide whether to get Lucky Charms or Cheerios because passing by them will bring you too close. The whole shopping etiquette changed.

I've been describing the feeling as claustrophobic. That might not be the right word given that everyone is far apart, but the mask and the gloves and constantly thinking about proximity issues that I never worried about before make me feel enclosed in something.

rootsminer said...

The tension is palpable everywhere. We've started doing pick up at the grocery store, but I still mask up and go to the food coop near my house approx once a week. I don't wear gloves to shop, but sanitize as soon as I'm out of there and scrub like a damn surgeon when I get home.

If only we had someone in a highly visible position of authority in our country who could suggest that wearing a mask isn't a sign of weakness, but an act of compassion for everyone around us.

Whitney said...

D-bank, our friend the OB-ex glider Bruce, whom you know, was on a Z call the other day and was shaking his head ruefully at the notion of a summer with no tourists down there. He simply said, "They can't survive it."

Tough times all around. Here's hoping that things change for the better significantly and soon enough to salvage some summer down there and everywhere else.

And selfishly, Dave, I'm gonna need you to do what it takes to kick COVID's ass down there so we can come down the second weekend in July.

Donna said...

We go every year to OBX with grad school group. Reservation is June 13th. 10-bedroom house. We asked realty for transfer to Thanksgiving week already because some families just don’t think we can do it and most of us doubt island will open to tourist by then (though Dave you may have better guess)...owners of house want us to wait until 5/15 to do transfer. Guess they’re hoping island will open so they make more/some money!
Our 12 year old daughter has made 100 masks and counting!
We used to go to the store twice a day, not kidding. Now we’re at about once a week to ten days. I buy 6 gallons of milk per trip. It’s a bit like we live in a dystopian novel with the masks and sanitizing regimen.
I did a funeral with 9 people there and streamed live. So strange.

TR said...

I wear gloves and a bandanna when food shopping. I love the bandanna look. When I pull it down to my neck, I have a strong survivalist look w/ my beard (which is now out of control). Especially when I add shades. Unfortunately, I have few survivalist skills.

Supermarkets are weird for sure. I go 2x per week b/c I want fresh fruits and veggies for cooking/salads. The oddest thing to me is when I notice the crappy soft rock they always play. I never figured the soundtrack to the potential end of the world would feature Mister Mister and Gloria Estefan. I started wearing headphones recently to avoid the depressing songs.

And the weirdest is when you and somebody else sense a potential crossing. Folks will either speed through or pretend to stop and stare at a shelf to let the other person pass.

TR said...

NJ parks and golf to re-open Saturday. One small step in the right direction...

TR said...

Donna’s daughter is making masks. My kids are killing slugs. Sounds about right.

Whitney said...

Parks opening... Dave can stop whining/freaking out.

Marls said...

Get on your feet...

rob said...

our wegmans plays a pretty cool alt-rock soundtrack. r.e.m.'s 'end of the world' was a particularly timely selection last time i was in the store. i feel fine.

rootsminer said...

Why aren't the grocery stores playing any Rick James?

Seriously though, I do love when the store has some funky stuff playing. At least in normal times.

zman said...

King's plays 70s music. "Night Fever" came on one time and I couldn't help but bob and weave a little bit. I looked over and saw another shopper (who appeared to be a heroin addict) in a bandanna also bobbing and weaving. We made eye contact, continued dancing, and he said "Everything's gonna be alright man!" in acknowledgement of the funky tunes.

That's grocery shopping these days.

TR said...

Zman - I’ve become a Stop & Shop devotee in the last few weeks. So much bigger that it’s less congested. And much cheaper. But they’ve been out of tots and frozen garlic bread for a while, which has my kids bummed out. Their music is butt.

OBX dave said...

Alas, Gheorghies, I have zero juice in pandemic fights, county influence, or damn near anything else. The mayor of Kill Devil Hills is a friend, and I will ask if he can goose things along for OBFT and Donna's grad school trip.

Yes, Roberto, I blogged and navigated posting systems in my prior life. That was five-plus years ago. Took me days to learn and weeks before I even attempted to attach anything or link to other pieces. I had about a 70 percent success rate. Never did anything remotely fancy besides type. I prefer not to crash your site, or be a blindfolded guy walking around a yardful of rakes.

Dave said...

my activism has opened the parks!

before the pandemic, i never went to the grocery store. it just wasn't worth it to send me. now that I'm not supposed to go, i go 2x a week. and i take a REALLY long time in there-- i can't find anything. the mask makes my glasses fog up, which doesn't help. garden state farm market closed, so to get fresh fruits and veggies, you've got to go to the store. and I'm not letting some delivery guy pick out an avocado or romaine lettuce or a pear. it takes a discerning eye. i really hope i had this thing in February, because if not, I'm going to get it . . .

Dave said...

ShopRite is cheaper than stop and shop . . .

Dave said...

we have a stop and shop in town, and a shoprite next door. trader joes always has good produce. I'm an expert now!

the only place that's packed beyond belief is Costco, i haven't been able to get in there.

Mark said...

Publix!! I Stan for Publix. Florida is 25% better just because of Publix.

I’m the family shopper (at Publix) because I’m still dealing with healthcare professionals. As for the the soundtrack at your local grocery...you people don’t wear headphones whilst shopping? Animals! I’m grooving to house music all throughout my jaunts through the produce section.

TR said...

Nobody listens to techno!

I love Publix b/c when I’m in one, that means I’m on vacation in the south. There is one near Sea Island and one in Ft Myers, on the way to Sanibel. Been to both numerous times.

Really hoping you Southerners open up your condos on VRBO or Air BnB this summer. I need a getaway and some ocean time. And I am not in the CNN worrymonger camp that shits on any phased opening. We need to slowly inch back to normalcy and see how it goes.

Mark said...

Nice Eminen reference.

Publix is the best. I am still getting a decent amount of ocean time. I think you dirty northerners will be good to visit by late June.