Friday, April 24, 2020

Going Back to New Orleans

A goodly number of gheorghies are NOLA fans.  You know, the Northernmost Caribbean City. I'm talkin' New Orleans, boys and girls. Nawlins. 

I miss it. It's been three years since I was in my favorite city in the entire world.  Post-COVID, if it ever happens, I'm going back post-haste.

Ten (10) times since April 1998, I've ventured down for the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, a long weekend of revelry unlike much else. Sometimes with fellow gheorghies in tow.  Music, food, people, and drinking in astounding doses.  Devilish debauchery, beautiful sounds, and laissez-faire life. Le Bon Temps Roule. Good gracious, do I love it.

Sadly, JazzFest is another amid a long, long list of cancelled events in 2020.  Who wants to join me there in '21?

In the meantime, there's no reason not to enjoy the Fest in spirit.  NOLA radio station WWOZ has lined up the cubes, and they kicked off yesterday.  They're playing Fest outings of yore by an wide assortment of old favorites. It's a killer backdrop to doing work or writing G:TB posts.

It's not the same as laying out the blanket and parking it before the Fais-Do-Do stage with a belly full of Crawfish Monica and Abitas, ready to soak in some smooth sounds of squeezebox, sax, and spoons whilst sitting in the sun. But it's a start, and it makes me smile. Seriously, who's with me next year?

Tune in to WWOZ here.

Oh, and don't forget that the Crescent City is an hour behind. And a million miles ahead of the rest of the world in having fun.


18 comments:

zman said...

Remember when everyone was complaining that 2016 was the worst year ever?

Whitney said...

Here's a comedy bit that I think would be good, but I don't have the technical skills.

Take the audio of 100 most asinine things Trump has said as President (it will take time to pare it down). The disinfectant bit would be way, way up there.

My first thought was to simply have Barack Obama read them onscreen as if they were his words. Juxtaposition is fun. But it could also be like the bad lip reading thing and have the most intelligent presidents (video era) saying them. GHWB or FDR appearing to say the dumb-assed, super dumb, dumb stuff that Trumpus says would amuse.

But Obama might agree to this.

Whitney said...

But the goal of this post was to listen to music that takes us way from it all. Like Calgon.

rootsminer said...

I love WWOZ.Thanks for the heads up. I missed Toots and the Maytals yesterday but Snooks Eaglin from '94 is on point.

Squeaky said...

This is a tremendous list and would have been a blast to wade through all the past performances of every selected artist. I've been lucky enough to have seen several of these acts, albeit outside of the fest.

There were a ton of great bands that didn't make the cut. I'd like to see the list of the smaller less renown bands as well.

zman said...

Buckwheat Zydeco used to play at The Bayou, a weird Cajun restaurant in Fleetwood, NY, former home of the Money Earnin Mount Vernon crew. I saw them there once with the woman who later became my ex-wife. She made us leave early. There were many early signs.

rootsminer said...

I may just plan my weekend around catching some of these sets. What a list.

Whitney said...

Buckwheat is an all-timer. I saw this 2003 set. His take on Beast of Burden always brought the house down, so they say.

Whitney said...

Bonerama tomorrow at noon EDT. Always fun.

zman said...

Sounds like a nooner to me.

rob said...

mark, you see that percy harvin wants to play again?

Whitney said...

Hoping he wants to be near his hometown.

rob said...

charlotte *is* nice, i hear

Whitney said...

Boo

Mark said...

I did, Rob. He’s been training in Gainesville with the track coach.

Mark said...

Antoine Winfield Jr. to the Bucs. I couldn’t be more pleased.

TR said...

Belichick having his dog in his seat on the video is Machiavellian. Or a funny coincidence.

Danimal said...

Brisket on. Taking kids to beach for a couple of hours. May throw a line in the water since I need to be doing something. Major shrub trimming later. Happy Saturday.