Sunday, January 28, 2018

Power to the People/Fashion is Dumb

Leeds United are one of England's most historic clubs. Founded in 1919, The Whites are one of the founding members of the Premier League, though the club has toiled in the lower divisions since being relegated in 2004. They currently sit in 9th place among the 24 teams in the Championship, one rung below the top.

That's all preface to a lesson in customer service, played out in near real time this week.

The business side of Leeds United decided that it was time to replace the club's somewhat dated, and muchwhat dreadful badge, seen below:


Let the record show that Leeds has historically had really awful design sensibilities, when it comes to the club's badges. From a goofy-ass bubble-lettered 70s mess, to an out-of-nowhere peacock through the 80s and early 90s, Leeds' badges kept pace with the club's spotty performance.

1973-76
1976-77
1981-94
So Leeds weren't exactly operating from a position of strength when they commissioned a new badge. 

Leeds supporters are known for a salute, itself vaguely white supremacist, or at least authoritarian. But famous nonetheless as the Leeds Salute, an emphatic thumping of one's left breast with one's right fist, arm parallel to the ground. And the designers of the new crest wanted to honor that legacy.

Which gave us this:


Leeds supporters, to put it mildly, were nonplussed. As ESPN put it, "Leeds United have unveiled their new club crest and the general reaction, to put it in the kindest terms possible, has been of intense mockery." In that article, both fans and other teams mock the new crest, though old-school Columbus Crew fans didn't understand the fuss.


To the lasting credit of the bosses at Elland Road, the voice of the fan carried the day. From a statement the club issued just two days after the unveiling of the new badge, "Leeds United would like to thank our supporters for their feedback on the proposed new crest released yesterday. 

The volume and depth of opinions expressed reinforced the level of passion our fan base has for our club. While the current board of directors are custodians of Leeds United the fans will always be at the heart of everything we do, and you will be listened to. 

We conducted thorough research into the  desire for a change to the crest to symbolise a new era for the club. 

However, we also appreciate the need to extend  the consultation with supporters and we are committed to working with you to create an identity we can all be proud of. We will release further information on how supporters can get involved in the process next week. 

Marching On Together.”

I think that means they're gonna drop the new badge and find something better.

And now that we've shitcanned the G:TB Peeps Diorama Contest, I believe we need a new gimmick. Please offer your ideas in the comments.

Gheorghing On Together



60 comments:

zman said...

So, Federer.

rob said...

he seems pretty good. someone that understands tennis should post about him.

rob said...

my sources tell me that this is fashion week at gtb.

Mark said...

Had snapping turtle soup this afternoon. It was delicious.

rob said...

i ate a grasshopper taco last night. also quite tasty.

Mark said...

Are we sure it’s not food week at G:TB?

T.J. said...

Courtesy of zman I’ve got a new fashion item tomorrow

zman said...

We can't muster any snapper or taco jokes?

Took zson to AMNH for the first time and it had the expected impact. If you get a chance to go make sure to see the Titanosaurus. It is preposterous.

zman said...

At dinner my sister-in-law's wife stated "Jimmy Carter was kind of a pansy." And it wasn't a compliment. I had no idea how to react so I just ate more chili.

Mark said...

I could go for some chili.

Whitney said...

‘86 Mets
‘82 Skins
‘91-‘92 Nicks

Randomly I also really enjoyed the ‘01-‘02 Terps.

rob said...

i, too, enjoyed that terps team. less so whitney's first entry. jerk.

rob said...

childish gambino is a talented motherfucker

rob said...

rihanna and pink, also talented motherfuckers.

Whitney said...

So you’re watching the Grammys, eh?

rob said...

family enchilada and music night

Mark said...

Pink is an asshole. I told her that much at the ‘02 Gravity Games.

rob said...

tough but fair

Mark said...

I don’t want to like Lil Uzi Vert. But I kinda do.

Mark said...

The Pink thing is a good story, Rob.

rob said...

can we tell it on the gheorghe? disguise the identities? call her 'fuschia' and you 'mork'?

Mark said...

That Kesha performance was...Wow.

rob said...

yeah, that was a giant public 'fuck you', and great art on top of it.

Mark said...

I live in a musical bubble that doesn’t include much (if any) pop music. That was the first time I’d ever heard that song. I’d have it no other way.

rob said...

funny, i was just saying roughly the same thing to my kids. i don't know any of the pop songs on this broadcast.

TR said...

The Sting-Shaggy duet was the saddest Sting duet since his duet with Puffy after Biggie died.
I'm sure his cardigan resonated with the kids.

My wife asked who Shaggy was. I started singing Boombastic. She asked me to stop shortly after I said "Meesta Luva Luva."

TR said...

U2 needs to go away. Bono needs to take the Robin Williams mask he's wearing and to back to Ireland.

Mark said...

Fuck Sting.

Mark said...

That Bruno Mars song winning over 4:44 is a travesty. That sample alone should’ve won.

Mark said...

And TR just made me choke on my water.

TR said...

DJ Khaled is the man. He's basically a hype man on songs. I could do that. My kid liked his dancing. Not sure how he became famous.

And those are all of my Grammys hot takes.

One more - Bruno Mars is a lesbian in a man's body.

rob said...

do you guys know i have a thing for anna kendrick?

Mark said...

My wife described Bruno Mars as pretty lady. She also had s thing for Anna Kendrick, apparently.

Khaled came to be because he’s a good producer. His personality and social media presence took it from there.

Whitney said...

My disdain for the Grammys is documented herein ad nauseum, but I really enjoy you guys’ Grammy comments. Keep ‘em coming.

Whitney said...

For the record, Sting was a GTB Top 20 Douche and Bono was honorable mention. Gotta agree, even as I saw U2 last year and fucking loved it.

TR said...

Anna Kendrick appeared to be wearing her dad's pants.

Is there a real record of our top 20 douches?

Whitney said...

Also, Marls and my fave Aimee Mann won a Grammy tonight for best folk album. It’s not really a folk album, and it’s by some distance not her best work. So of course she wins this award. See my annoying rants on the Grammys to understand exactly why this is just so perfect.

Whitney said...

Well, TR, there is always this:

http://gheorghe77.blogspot.com/2009/09/music-month-ends-with-splash.html

Shlara said...

I don't know any of these songs tonight, but I'm really enjoying the show.
Kesha is my new spirit animal.
That song + her performance tonight is straight fire.

Donna said...

Our fam knows none of the Grammy music pretty much. Except when one song was announced as nominee, my 10 yr old said "hasn't that been like 2 years" --that's for you Whit!

Whitney said...

Thank you, Donna!

Mark said...

I’m not surprised Redbone didn’t win but I’m still upset.

Marls said...

I’m shocked that a bunch of Grammy voters who likely have the same age demographic as G:TB are just as out of touch with pop music as we seem to be based on the comments.

TR said...

Redbone sounds like a name for a dog penis

Marls said...

Leon DogPenis

Dave said...

i think that badge would be fine if there were a sparrow or some other kind of songbird perched on the guy's arm.

Dave said...

wow. i just read the comments. now i watched the grammys!

rob said...

i was told there’d be more dumb fashion today

zman said...

Clown Penis.

Whitney said...

Z, that kind of name-calling upsets Rob.

TR said...

I get the Clown Penis joke!

Shlara said...

Gheorghies, I'm getting serious about plans for the CAA tourney.
March 4-6 (Sun-Tues) in Charleston.
Who's on the bandwagon?

zman said...

Oh you get the Clown Penis. Joke.

rob said...

shlara, let me consult my social secretary. i want to be in.

rob said...

so reuters, which is a division of thomson reuters, where your friendly neighborhood tiny dictator is employed, just broke the news that the parent company is in advanced talks to spin off a big chunk of this business. that's some serious editorial independence, 'cause it's gonna cause a shitstorm at the office tomorrow.

rob said...

'the business'. not 'this business'. bygones.

Marls said...

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

rob said...

i'm unlikely to be materially impacted, but it's going to be an interesting few days. we'd heard rumors, but didn't expect to hear anything until next week.

Marls said...

My comment was unrelated to the proposed spin.

Glad you won’t be impacted. That said, there are times that I wish we would be purchased.

Marls said...

Is there a way for us to sell off Greasetruck Studios from G:TB in a tax fee spin? I think we could really unlock some shareholder value.