Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Feast Your Ears

As a child of the DMV in the 1980s, you were force-fed the Redskins, Don & Mike, and three different varieties of Top 40 music. If you were adventurous, or 'urban', you listened to WPGC. But if your rebel base was in the suburbs, your only option for musical insurgency was WHFS.

Weasel!
Eclectic, unflinchingly uncommercial, and often just kinda weird (the station featured a deejay named
Weasel, who had neither a voice for radio nor a face for television - just a love of music), HFS played the music its deejays wanted to hear. And the music that musicians wanted to hear. When I was in high school, it made me feel cool to be on the cutting edge of progressive music, and that's entirely because I found HFS.

Later, when I was a young adult, HFS beat the rest of the market to grunge, to alternative hip-hop, to all the music that mattered. The annual HFSestival always boasted the best festival lineup in our area.

It is no exaggeration to call HFS the soundtrack of my youth.

I remember vividly driving to work one morning when the signal abruptly changed from alternative rock to Spanish-language music. I pressed the preset key a few times, assuming a glitch. It wasn't until I got to work and checked out the then-nascent internet that I learned that HFS as I knew it was no longer.

My own personal Day the Music Died.

Imagine my happy surprise when I found out this week that a local team has filmed a documentary about the history of WHFS. Entitled, 'Feast Your Ears: The Story of WHFS 102.3', the film is in post-production, working to secure rights to the music featured within.



"Weasel playing the rock and roll," and me 16 years old again. Can't wait to see this film.

27 comments:

rootsminer said...

One Sunday evening around November 2002 my former jug band did a live spot (4-5 songs + a skit we wrote) on the local country station. The very next morning the station started playing 24/7 Christmas music and then became a lite rock station. I still feel partly responsible for killing J93.

Danimal said...

Don & Mike. For the most part I liked those guys though Don was a little full of himself. Are they still on anywhere up there? How 'bout the Sports Junkies?

Winchester did receive transmission from the likes of 101.1, 105.9, and 106.7 but I do not recall 102.3. Or did we?

Danimal said...

Did fly through much of the Grammy's last night - no props here for Miley Cyrus and Elton John's performance of Tiny Dancer? Not a Miley fan, but am coming around. She's got chops and looked great. She actually wore a full dress like they used to in the old days.

Whitney said...

102.3? HFS was 99.1 when I was a commuting listener from ‘93 until its demise.

TR said...

Guy in that photo looks like Filch from the Harry Potter movies.

Fun fact - that actor also played Walder Frey in Game of Thrones. Would’ve been funny if somebody spliced his “all you care about is nice tits and a tight fit” monologue to Robb Stark from early GoT into a scene where his Filch character was yelling at Ron, Harry and Hermione.

Yeah, I just nerded out pretty hard.

rootsminer said...

I've avoided seeing any of the Harry Potter movies to keep the characters in my mind as they are in the book. My boys have been cracking up lately at a video where Harry puts on the invisibility cloak and exclaims "My dick fell off!"

Also, if your kids are into HP and haven't heard Jim Dale read the audio books, I highly recommend them. They've been bedtime relaxation in my house for years.

rob said...

danimal, don’s wife died in a car crash a few years back, and he retired. mike has a fairly popular podcast series, but isn’t on the air.

whit, it’s my understanding that hfs started as 102.1 in the 60s before relocating to 99.1 by the time i was in high school.

rob said...

and if anyone remembers robb spewak from the don & mike show, he has his own podcast. he also lives near me and is the football public address announcer for the tuscarora high school huskies. his daughter is friends with mine.

Danimal said...

Okay, 99.1 I remember, as well as Robb Spewak. Rob just hanging out with all of sorts of luminaries.

rob said...

new quarterback for the washington football franchise

zman said...

I wish they had a camera trained on Pelosi the whole time with subtitles for what she's saying. I think I just caught her saying "Can you believe this?"

zman said...

Trump can't pronounce scourge.

Whitney said...

Z, I give you credit for watching

zman said...

zson wanted to watch. I'm supervising.

rob said...

yeah, i wouldn't watch this with bea arthur's dick

TR said...

Bae Arthur’s dick is on the screen!

Oh wait. It’s just Steny Hoyer’s face.

TR said...

The whole thing is pretty awful. It sounds like his dentures are starting to impact his thpeech.

He’s gonna lower time to build infrastructure, and lower prescription drug prices. And kick out those illegals, all of which are in MS-13, I think, based on what he says.

His hair looks spectacular.

zman said...

He snorted 500 mg of oxy before the speech, hence the slurring. And hence the lower drug prices. I love how everyone is pro business except for the pharma business. Because it doesn't have high R&D costs, so it's a great are for price controls.

TR said...

He is a total fatso.

Marls said...

Only 239 TR.

Shlara said...

One of my HS BFFs was an HFS deejay after college: Gina Crash.
She's on a Baltimore AM show now
I still miss HFS

rob said...

no way! she’s awesome.

Marls said...

I wonder if somewhere on Jorge: El Blog there is somebody lamenting the subsequent format change from Spanish/Caribbean music to Bloomberg news

rob said...

i believe that's peter john: el blog

Danimal said...

What is the temperature among our Redsk*ns fans on the Alex Smith trade? And non fans alike?
I see a nominal disparity between the two, and certainly not a top Corner and 3rd round pick worth. If it were Smith to the Jags, that would make more sense fer sher.
I'll hang up now.

Whitney said...

There is more at play than just the players and picks in the deal. Washington, because of its own shortsightedness and stupidity, were really in a position where they had to part ways with Kirk cousins. This allows them to do that without embarrassing themselves by starting colt McCoy or Brock Osweiler next year.

My least favorite part of this trade is Fuller. It reeks of champ Bailey. That’s an overstatement considering Fuller’s lack of development thus far, but that’s just what happens to Washington. This will definitely bite our team in the ass. I guess the RGIII Rams trade had faded a little too far into the rearview, so here we go.

T.J. said...

GTB Fashion Week continues with a new post