Thursday, June 23, 2016

Dork Rock and Art Rap

Young man grows up on the south side of Chicago, raised in that city's rap tradition, develops a keen social conscience and forges his own path as an artist. Familiar story, to some degree, following the example of Common and Kanye, among others.

This one, though, has a twist that spins it directly into G:TB's wheelhouse. (I miss The Wheelhouse, for what it's worth.) Open Mike Eagle's favorite band as a young man was They Might Be Giants. And it wasn't just an infatuation. As you can see in the clip below, Mike deeply embraced the dork-rock pioneers' message and music.



I've been a TMBG fan from way back. When I was 18, I saw the band at the old 9:30 Club, in what was my first club show. (I was there with my then-21 year-old girlfriend. Did I mention that my girlfriend was 21? That was cool.) I've since seen TMBG at least ten times in all sorts of venues, and never been disappointed by one of their live shows.

And now I've got to find a way to see Open Mike Eagle, who's art-rap style is a liquid, lyrical, and hypnotic flow. Check out Ziggy Starfish (Anti-Anxiety Raps) from his 2015 A Special Episode EP. His newly-released record, Hella Personal Film Festival is getting some Spotify run in my house, too.



15 comments:

Danimal said...

Watched Simmons' new show this a.m. It's fine. It being on HBO should have been enough for me to know not to watch with children around. Whoops.
John Salley becoming more of a presence on ESPN. He's a good add. Overdue.

T.J. said...

happy nba draft day

Mark said...

I'm not a Salley, fan. Though I'm sure some of that has to do with his frequent presence on Mike & Mike. I loathe that show.

I'm excited as usual for the NBA Draft but I won't be doing my usual draft preview. Just too damn busy at the salt mine. I will say, however, that I'm going to be so bummed when the Magic select Skal Labisserie. And I LOVE (probable) second round pick Kay Felder. Would love Orlando to grab him but I highly doubt they will.

Whitney said...

Saw Jason Isbell in a theater venue last night. Very solid.

Torn between Steel Pulse and Violent Femmes tonight. Bad weather in the forecast gives me the good feeling that I will be listening to some American music tonight.

Danimal said...

I myself am going to see Rebelution this evening at St. Aug Amphitheatre.

rob said...

rebelution is the most jacksonville band name ever

Whitney said...

Rob, I have seen They Might Be Giants with you in more venues than I can remember... Lisner Auditorium, Radio Music Hall, Norva, 930 Club, streets of DC, somewhere in Richmond, etc etc etc. And all alone at the '64 World's Fair.

Danimal said...

You've obviously never heard of Leonard Skinnerd

Danimal said...

rebelution is a band from California rob. reggae, in case you were wondering. mon.

zman said...

I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw Molly Hatchet.

rob said...

i didn't see that coming, danimal.

clarence, i think that may cover all of the bases. i can't think of another. in addition to those places, i've seen them at a bookstore in arlington (and met them - got a great picture with my the johns and my wife/kids when the little ones were 3 and 1).

mr kq said...

That '64 show rawked.

TR said...

My draft sleepers are Isiah Whitehead (highly skilled 6'5" PG from Seton Hall) and Robert Carter Jr. ( 6'8" stretch four from Maryland).

I know y'all cared deeply about my insights on this topic.

rob said...

they're not sleepers, but i love kris dunn and domantas sabonis.

T.J. said...

nba draft open thread coming later today...