Wednesday, June 01, 2016

A Gheorghe Divided

Other than the fact that most games will end long after I've fallen asleep, either by choice or biological destiny, I'm incredibly excited for the NBA Finals. In truth, this might be the most I've anticipated a final series since the '87 matchup between the Celtics and Lakers, way back when I actively cared about professional hoops on a full-time basis.

I've got a bit of a problem, though (in addition to the aforementioned somnolence issues). I want both teams to win.

Recent media-driven mini-backlash aside, it's impossible to dislike the Warriors. They're what we say we want in our champions: innovative, exciting, skilled, free-flowing, and even somewhat humble (by the standards of modern professional athletes). Though they made the game look impossible easy for long stretches this season, they surmounted significant adversity during the playoffs, summoning reserves of grit and resilience to match their skill and intelligence in overcoming a very game Thunder squad. They showed guts last postseason, too, fighting back from series deficits twice on their way to the title.

Steph Curry is a unicorn, quite possibly too good to be true. Klay Thompson's capable of shooting the ball even better than Curry for long stretches - it's not an exaggeration to say that the Warriors are sitting home right now if not for Thompson's play in Game 6 against the Thunder. Draymond Green is a crazy person, and he needs to stop kicking people, but I'm still in the tank for him. Steve Kerr's mastered the very difficult act of making a high degree of arrogance about his team's capabilities seem downright folksy. How do not admire Shaun Livingston for the way he's battled back from a grotesque injury? Andre Iguodala suppressed his ego to be a role player, and he might be the best in the league at that particular role. Name an unlikable player on this roster. Unless you hate Brazilians or North Carolina alums, that's an impossible task.

As for the Cavaliers, it's easy to understand the sporting public's mixed emotions. Everyone wants to take shots at the king, and despite Prince Steph's meteoric rise, there's still only one King. LeBron has his momentary missteps, unquestionably, but there is no denying the fact the he remains the most unique basketball weapon of all time. And our fondness for him is both well-documented and unlikely to change because he says things on occasion that may seem either manufactured or arrogant. The dude's been literally worshipped by the American sports-media complex since he was 16. You'd be a little weird, too.

I'm not just rooting for the Cavs because of LeBron, though. I love a good narrative, and the prodigal son returning to Cleveland to deliver a championship to the longest of long-suffering fanbases is as good a story as we get in sports, non-Leicester City category. LeBron paying off his debt to his hometown by vanquishing the best team in NBA history? That's some epic shit, right there. They'll write books and stuff.

And while I do like the Warriors' bit players somewhat more than I do their counterparts in navy and wine, it's impossible not to admire Kyrie Irving's fearless basket attacks, or Kevin Love's understanding of spacing and willingness to play the Chris Bosh role. Delly's both irritating and amusing, and J.R. Smith is alternately thrilling and be-musing. I always liked Tyronn Lue as a player, even back to his Nebraska days, and he's stepped into a tough spot and never seemed over his head.

But I've written all those words, and I still don't have an answer. I want LeBron to bring a title to Cleveland, and I want the Warriors to validate this jaw-dropping season. I guess I'll have to arm-wrestle myself.

18 comments:

zman said...

I love brazilians. Thank you Sex and the City!

TR said...

W&M alum/business kingpin/gravity bong guru Todd B. almost certainly has a highly placed PR firm pimping his name. This is the second news story in the last couple years that highlights him excessively in an otherwise mundane news story.

I wonder what promises his publicist team made to the Post to get his pic in there.

http://nypost.com/2016/05/31/adweek-clio-awards-put-up-for-sale/

TR said...

In somewhat related news, Zman and I saw We Were Promised Jetpacks last night. They are fronted by a guy who looks a lot like the guy I referenced in my previous comment. Tremendous show, fun crowd, and a surprisingly mild hangover today. High energy, earnest Scotsmen and those who follow them make for a fun crowd.

For you DC folks, they are playing in Vienna on July 2nd. I think Zman would second my strong white call on going to see them.

Clarence said...

I'm fully for the Cavs. Just because Cleveland needs this. Like really, really, really needs this.

zman said...

Blinding white for WWPJ. Their sound guy did a great job so you could hear the lyrics clearly. zwoman says our bedroom smells like a bottle of whiskey and I'm moving a little slower than normal, but otherwise I too am in surprisingly acceptable condition.

I too am pulling for the Cavs. If Cleveland has to suffer through Trumpapalooza at the RNC then they deserve something good. And I don't like the idea of the Warriors being historically "better" than Jordan's Bulls.

T.J. said...

Based on the numerous NBA pods I have listened to, Kyrie and Love's defense (or lack thereof) will be a major key in this series.
That being said, this Cavs team is 6-9 times better than last year's Finals squad, and LeBron almost willed them to a win then, so sure, why not this time.
Go Cleveland.

Squeaky said...

Danimal, sorry to here about the losses. Getting to this age starts to suck when you end up going to more funerals than weddings.

Zman, glad they delivered for you. They always seem to rock the place.

I'm rooting for the Cav's as well. That town won't see a football championship any time soon. So they need something to celebrate.

Squeaky said...

Also, hit me up if you want the new De La Soul single.

zman said...

I got the link, I've been waiting for the new album for what seems like more than a year. I don't understand the holdup.

zman said...

Charles Bradley tomorrow night at the 9:30 Club!

Squeaky said...

This kickstarter is for doc/concert film of Daptone records. It's bit pricey but there are a ton of outstanding artists involved. Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings, Charles Bradley , the Budos Band, sugarman 3 and others.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/192634647/living-on-soul-a-daptone-records-film

Clarence said...

Squeaker, some of us are doing our part to provide multiple weddings for you clowns.

Squeaky said...

Clarence, bring them on!

zman said...

Charles Bradley soundboard!

http://daptonerecords.com/

mr kq said...

KQ and I saw WWPJ last time through. That lead ginger brings it. Def up for 7/2 show if we're around.

Mark said...

I'm late here but I won't be rooting for Cleveland. I don't feel sorry for people just because they live in a dump of a city. And most of those fans are also Ohio State fans so they've seen their fair share of success.

I've also become a bit of a Warriors fan over the past few years. I thoroughly enjoy the skill and intelligence with which they play basketball and think any great success they have is ultimately good the game of basketball itself.

Mark said...

Big basketball day. NBA Finals game 1 and, more importantly, the return of the summer scrimmages with the best local high school team.

zman said...

These 9 pm tipoffs are going to be the death of me.