Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Nutella and the Power of Youthful Enthusiasm

Breakfast of champions
My 12 year-old daughter is a huge Nutella fan. She eats it on toast for breakfast every single day. (We make her eat fruit, too - we're mediocre parents, not terrible ones.) If it were up to her, she'd eat it for lunch and dinner, as well. Other than her iPhone, Nutella is probably her favorite thing in the world.

So you can imagine how excited she was when she learned that there's a restaurant in Chicago that exclusively features the hazelnut spread, and nothing else. It's all Nutella, all the time, at least in her telling. And because such a place exists, she requested - nay, insisted - that we visit this magical place.

As it turns out, she's not exactly wrong. The Windy City outpost of Mario Batali's Eataly Italian food emporium does, in fact, feature a Nutella Bar. So does the one in New York, as it turns out, but my kid found the Chicago location first.

Because I love my kid, and because I've never been to Chicago, her Nutella obsession has turned into a family summer road trip. Air trip, I guess. We booked an AirBnB reservation in Logan Square and we're winging our way to the Midwest in a few short weeks to gorge on Nutella.

I'm telling you all this because a) none of you can be bothered to put up a post and I'm on a train to New York with time to kill, and b) as mentioned above, I've never been to Chicago, so I'm wide open to your ideas about what to do with a family of four. I'm sure we'll do a few of the cliche tourist things (my wife wants to go up in the Sears Tower, for example), but I'd love to find a few other things to do, places to see, and restaurants to hit. You're a bunch of worldly lads and ladies, so I know I can count on you for advice.

The floor is yours, Gheorghies. Watch out for the Nutella mess.

12 comments:

Clarence said...

Does it go without saying that Wrigley is a must?

Ask Steiner for good suggestions.

rob said...

wrigley is a must, but wrigley is sold out. the new york metropolitans are in town, and the secondary market is ugly.

rob said...

i don't think we're making a big enough deal of the fact that coastal carolina is one win away from being college baseball national champions. someone look up the last time the big south had a national champion in any team sport.

Clarence said...

Architecture river boat tour was fun and different.

Go up the tower for my perspective on the world.

TR said...

Greektown for a fun, albeit touristy meal. They light cheese on fire!

Danimal said...

Millennium Park...walk around. Must see The Bean.

Clarence said...

And flick it.

Danimal said...

During my 2 hr drive to Lansing airport this a.m. I caught the very end of the Lenny Dykstra interview on Mike and Mike. I know, I know, you guys are too cool for that show. Before I knew it was Dykstra I was trying to identify the voice. I thought it was someone of Lloyd Bridges age (is he dead) and with a history of brain injury. Now I see a pic of him on the home page...holy smokes.

With some extra time I did a quick drive thru of Michigan State's campus. Just thought I'd let you know.

Danimal said...

Nutella. I'm pretty sure that stuff has more sugar per serving than your standard candy bar. Not judging though. Pretty sure it is in our pantry.

I can't wait to re-unite with the Bradley family at O'Hare.

TR said...

Tough times for Danimal. Ryan Lochte did not qualify for an individual event in the Olympics. He'll swim the 4x200 relay and, most likely, spread his VD in Olympic Village the rest of the time.

TR said...

Mark Cuban's face

Squeaky said...

Don't think this was a funded research option at W&M. Maybe some self study. http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/06/most-women-shave-their-nether-regions-for-hygiene-doctors-facepalm/?comments=1

For an Ars article there are some awesome comments. Yeah, nerdy guys living in their parents basement.