Friday, June 17, 2016

Friday Afternoon Tunes (New and Old) for Your Mind Grapes

Four tunes have been getting a lot of love in TR's earbuds of late during his commute. I thought I would share before Rob took away my posting privileges for negligent behavior. And excessive body odor. The tunes are more poppy than you might expect, but when times are tough, as they've become for me for a couple reasons, some fun tunes are welcome. And they result in fewer headaches than drinking eleventeen scotches.

As an unabashed fan of Bill Simmons, nee The Sports Guy, nee The Boston Sports Guy, I pay attention to his posse of cultural critics who opine on all things sports, music and pop culture. This includes his podcasts, which serve as a coping mechanism for my mundane commute (along with these bad boys, of course).

As a result, I watch the After the Thrones show on HBO. I also dragged my wife into it. After her initial questions (Why are these guys so nerdy? They're gay, right? Is that Mallory girl the oddest looking person ever?, to which I replied: No idea, nope, yep), she became hooked b/c Greenwald and Ryan are astute and witty, if not telegenic.

I enjoy those two guy's gaming of throning on the telly, but I also (mostly) dig their music critiquing. So when the two came up with their "Memorial Day BBQ Playlist" on one podcast a few weeks back, I efforted up the tunes on my iPhone and gave them a listen. Turns out most are pretty good! The one that has wormholed its way into my brain to occupy space next to Thin Lizzy's Angel from the Coast these days is a catchy tune from an up-and-coming Philly rock band called Mercury Girls.

Here is All That Heaven Allows:




How do we follow that up? How 'bout with my favorite 18 y/o pop tune whose title is a cock ring reference! Sure, the tune is, like the strippers Zman makes it rain on,  "barely legal", but I'm slow to get into shit, so back off.

Here is a live version from Coachella in '15 (I think). And while the live version is disjointed, it packs in some extra whimsy. As I get older and face more, varied stresses in my life, I find brief forays into whimsy to be welcome. If you want the straight studio version, get it here.



Moving on (and even farther back in time), here's a deep cut (to me, at least) from Marvin Gaye. I found this one while wallowing in Apple Music one day. The ability to search for a tune you know/like, and then review playlists where that song was included, is a neat little feature to find related tunes you don't know. It allowed me to dig into some hip, hip stuff.

Here is Can I Get a Witness:



And we'll close this out with an instrumental from Umphrey's McGee. I'm not too attentive to the jam band scene these days, and am not too knowledgeable with these guys, but this is a fun tune that slots right in with much of the stuff we used to crank a lot at Unit M 20+ years ago. It doesn't break new ground, but sometimes that's just fine. So go to Unit L, borrow Dr. Crusher so you can take a pull from a 5' tube, and then crank this.

Here is Glory:



Happy Friday folks. Feel free to crank all of these at your cubicle, in your car, on the commode, or in your bedroom while you are sweet, sweet love. Or when you break into tears immediately after orgasm. Everybody does that, right?

47 comments:

rob said...

we'll allow it, tr

zman said...

Mallory Rubin IS really weird looking and annoying! zwoman gets annoyed when I say that.

T.J. said...

I tried to give her a chance, but yeah, Mallory Rubin is annoying. And should never do podcasts.

rob said...

apparently i should know who mallory rubin is

T.J. said...

Know your Ringer staff, rob

zman said...

Her head is immense from front to back. She appears to have no ears. She wears her hair like Morticia from the Addams family. I like geeky women but she's too far out there, she's beyond geeky and into full fledged nerd territory.

rob said...

prince be, set adrift on the memory bliss in the sky

rob said...

if you haven't watched episode 4 of the oj 30 for 30, be advised that it includes graphic images from the crime scene. like, as graphic as anything i've ever seen on free teevee.

zman said...

So many MCs die young.

Mark said...

Drew Magary already warned us about the graphic images, Rob.

I like Mallory Rubin. Jerks.

PM Dawn sucked.

Bought my daughter some new Jordan's today.

Mark said...

One more thing: I really enjoy how much Katie Nolan curses.

rob said...

katie nolan is the best. i heart her.

Mark said...

We know, Rob. We know.

zman said...

When KRS-ONE, the face of the stop the violence movement, publicly kicks your ass, takes over your stage, and performs three songs ... yeah, you probably kinda suck.

Mark, what did you get? I got zson low top 5s that he hasn't grown into yet. He's still rocking 1s.

Clarence said...

PM Dawn... biggest hit borrowed a beat from Paid in Full and its prime sample from Spandau Ballet. And still it wasn't that good.

TR said...

I though the OJ crime scene photos would be worse, considering her head was allegedly nearly severed. There was a lot of blood for sure.

Whenever Marcia Clark is on TV, all I think is "moley moley moley".

Mark said...

Black and purple 12s. I bought her some 1s a couple months ago that she still wears too.

Marls said...

Fox's butchering of major championship golf is glow puck levels of bad

TR said...

I'm the only guy who liked glow puck.

Danimal said...

Paul Azinger a huge improvement on Norman. He's my numero uno on tv. And Joe Buck does not annoy me as he does others. Faxon good. Inkster good. This sideline cat, Shane Bacon, well he's of a different ilk fer sher. A solid grade above last year. Oh, and Holly Sonders.

Danimal said...

On the lanai. Rain a comin. Fan on. Beer. Kids inside doing who the fuck cares.

Mark said...

Taking the kid to movies in a bit then dropping her ass off at Grandma's so I can get really drunk.

T.J. said...

I, too, enjoyed glow puck.

Danimal said...

Here comes the Speithster

Danimal said...

As my old man would say, it's rainin like a cow pee'n on a flat rock.

Danimal said...

Or Spiethster rather.

zman said...

Glowing puck wasn't that bad. The blue and red lines tracing the path of the puck were too distracting.

zman said...

Purple flu game joints >> glowing puck.

Marls said...

Glow puck apologists...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=grOttsHuuzE

It just did not add that much and as ZMan points out the red line was atrocious.

Marls said...

Does Faxon comb his hair with a greasy spoon?

Danimal said...

Just realizing Curtis Strange is on the Fox team. Meh.
Gun to the head at this moment and I'm taking Lowry or Westwood. Landry might finish top 10. 4+ shots back...Day, Zach, Oooooustheizen.

Danimal said...

I think he uses a whisp.

Danimal said...

Am an hour or so behind live....so am feeling good about the Lowry/Westwood statement, not so much on the Landry one. He's butter.

Danimal said...

Fox either has a mic in the cups or they are dubbing in the sound of a ball falling in. If the former, golf clap.

Marls said...

They actually use the sound of Aikman's balls falling into Buck's mouth.

Mark said...

Pretty cool scene at the Orlando City game tonight. Crowd is awesome and Pride flags are waving all over.

Marls said...

Jacksonville Sharks in a battle with Orlando tonight. I assume Danimal is there.

Mark said...

And a stoppage time game winner. Nice.

Mark said...

Oh...not a game winner.

Danimal said...

Yeah. Not there. Lanai still. Raining still. Beer still. Happy Father's day eve ya'll!

Danimal said...

Watching OJ #4. He had kind of a good team didn't he?

zman said...

Just got home from the ER. zson was jumping on the bed and took a header onto the dresser. Lots of blood but no concussion. Two hours later they just glued the gash shit.

Marls said...

In college your were a fan of shitty gash.

Whitney said...

Hi, gheorghies. Marls, what's up with the grammatical pants-soiling?

Also, just remembered I owe you a call. Way worse gaffe than grammar. My bad.

TR said...

610 AM tee time at the county course, but you can bet I'll be teeing off a minute early, telling the 97 y/o starter "it's the principle, motherfucker."

TR said...

A few buddies in town do the early 9 holes with me a few times each summer, and tee times are about this time. I've tried to convince them to call this outing "69ing", but have not found a receptive audience. Apparently, the crowd here is a special kind of immature.

rob said...

chile hung a touchdown on mexico last night. siete a cero!