Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Guest post for a good cause

Every once in awhile we step away from the general dipshittery, and Squirrel Week, to post something of a little more substance. This is one of those times. Guest post below from FOG:TB Emily...

On April 16th I'm going to do something kind of gross. I'm going to ride public transportation barefoot. Why? Because that is way less gross than hookworm, and by doing so, I can bring awareness to children's health and education around the world.

Ask anyone that knows me, I'm not a huge fan of kids in general but follow me for a moment - if I can find 5 people who will dedicate some of their resources (sometimes just a few minutes of their time) then I can help provide something like a school uniform to a child who cannot afford one. This in turn can increase school attendance by 62% which can increase that child's future earnings by 10%, making them an active citizen and ultimately this can turn into a huge positive impact on their community, the world (and me). I think of it as a small thing I can do that can turn into something much greater.

Maybe, if I write a blog post, so that you know why I'm barefoot and include that nearly 16 million children in the United States... that's 22% of all children - live in families with incomes below the federal poverty level ($23,021 a year for a family of four), or that in DC alone one in three children that ride the metro with you, are currently hungry (about double the national average), just one of you will be inclined to do something to help. That something might even be to tell one person who can help - now isn't that easy?

Have you heard the starfish story? It is how I live my life because some days, I can find myself overwhelmed with how much work I have to do to create positive change. Today, I've decided to go barefoot on the metro on April 16th. It may seem like a jump, but if I do this, maybe one less child will be hungry that day. It's worth a shot (and hopefully I won't end up with hookworm – but if I do, I’ll just go to my doctor).

Want to join me in reaching my goal to recruit 2,000 teammates? All you need to do is go here: http://www.onedaywithoutshoes.com/challenge put in #barefootfendys (this is IMPORTANT so I can track my teammates!) and your email address and then skip the shoes on April 16th.

Consider yourself thrown in the ocean, my little starfish.

xo,
Emily

What is #barefootfendys? A group of really awesome people going barefoot for a good cause. Sometimes these folks are sophisticated and mature and sometimes they are just a hot mess - but no matter what, they are lovable.

This woman has absolutely nothing to do with this great charity effort, but TJ is too much of an idiot not to include the image in the post.

20 comments:

T.J. said...

Wanted to make a Rex Ryan joke, but didn't want to ruin a nice guest post. So I'll just mention Rex in the comments.

Clarence said...

Teej, are you joining in on the barefoot ride?

Clarence said...

Good talk, Russ.

rob said...

nobody needs to see those flippers unleashed, clarence

T.J. said...

We will have to see, Clarence. Not sure these feet should be allowed out in the wild.

Greg said...

I've got no problem going barefoot all the time. The Indian Harbour Beach Wal-Mart does though. "Land of the Free"? Pfft!!!

Geoff said...

So...testified before congress for the first time today. #shamelessselfpromotion

http://thehill.com/blogs/regwatch/labor/292973-labor-rules-assailed-at-testy-house-hearing-

T.J. said...

"promulgated hastily"!

rob said...

'testy house hearing'? this is related to clarence's gonad yogurt franchise, isn't it?

T.J. said...

got a bit nutty up there, eh?

rob said...

i bet geoff's makeup sex with rosa delauro was spectacular.

rob said...

i also bet i just made geoff throw up in his mouth a little bit.

Geoff said...

I got yelled at pretty aggressively, but feel like I won the exchange. Calmer than you, congresswoman.

rob said...

i insist you read this story from grant wahl:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130410/real-madrid-fan-jose-mourinho/

T.J. said...

for someone who doesn't like to be told what to do, you're awfully bossy

rob said...

i'm very complex, teej. i contain multitudes.

T.J. said...

yes, you are GTB's very own Matryoshka doll

Clarence said...

Geoff's Lebowski bastardization was the highlight of this post. No offense to Zola Budd.

Mark said...

Don't go talking abad about the IHB Wal-Mart, Greg. And they're probably just weirded out still from when you showed up there after my wedding at 4 am trying to buy beer. Just a guess.

mayhugh said...

I went to Youtube to see if there was any footage of the Congressional testimony and was directed to a gent of the same name who is apparently a renowned antiques dealer in South Africa. I was only slightly disappointed. But sounds like you laid the wood Geoff. Bravo.