Thursday, March 07, 2013

Senior Salute

It's Senior Week all over the college hoops nation, as graduating players are feted by their schools in their final home games. It will come as no surprise that we greatly enjoy the ceremony and the emotion of the moments.

We were particularly moved last night when G:TB fave Elena Delle Donne played the last home contest of her spectacular career at Delaware. The 6'5" do-everything forward scored 24 points in 17 minutes as the Blue Hens pummeled Georgia State, but it was the pregame that stole the show.

In addition to her parents, Delle Donne was accompanied by her sister older Lizzie, whose cerebral palsy and autism have left her blind and deaf. Delle Donne's difficulty being separated from Lizzie and the rest of her close-knit family was one of the major reasons she transferred from Connecticut to Delaware at the beginning of her college career. (See the 1:10 mark of this video, that I can't figure out how to embed, for footage of the Delle Donne family's on-court moment.)

We also learned yesterday of yet one more reason to root for Delle Donne. She's one of us. According to former teammate Vanessa Kabongo, "She's not a quiet kid; she is silly. She's definitely a silly person off the floor; I can say that." (If Greg's looking to settle down, I think we can arrange a meeting.)

Big ups to Elena Delle Donne and the rest of college basketball's senior class. As we prepare to get overly geeked for March, thanks for giving us so much to love over the past four years.

16 comments:

rob said...

marls, in the span of the last week i got the leitch rt, had a tweet favorited by jim mcilvaine, and had an extended meeting with michael chertoff. i'll let you guess how i rank those three in terms of personal enjoyment.

Whitney said...

Everyone else reads "McIlvaine" and hears "Mac-La-Vane!" in their head a la the You're the Man video, right?

rob said...

duh

Dave said...

zman, gwen c is ian's sixty year old piano teacher from down the street -- she's a sweet old lady and it must be her grand daughter who also reads SoD. my fans are farflung . . .

zman said...

Indeed. The infant prevented me from commenting on the phallic nature of today's SOD image.

T.J. said...

NY Post reporting Mo Rivera will retire Saturday morning. Adios to the best closer ever.

rob said...

cosign. probably my least-hated yankee. obviously, i have no favorite yankee.

Clarence said...

My Yankees-loving neighbor keeps calling Rivera the best ever.

I tweak him by saying that Bruce Sutter was better because he played on some garbage teams and Rivera played on $200MM teams, meaning that the Fruitbat simply had to just get 3 outs with a 3-run lead every night while Sutter labored with bad defenses and tenuous one-run leads in hitter's parks. This agitates him greatly. Naturally, I selected Sutter at random. I also said Jeff Reardon was better for the same reasons. This made him think I was pulling his leg. So I said Goose Gossage was also better because he got tons of two-inning saves. As a Yankees fan, he liked that I mentioned Goose, and he stopped thinking I was pulling his leg.

Hey, when you're drinking your neighbor's beers and listening to them blather on about the Yankees, it's okay to have some fun at their expense.

rob said...

fruitbat is one of the great nicknames

Mark said...

Is Vanessa Kabongo related to Myck Kabongo?

rob said...

she's his sister. i cannot believe i missed that.

Clarence said...

Rivera to retire Saturday morning... uh, Saturday, November 23rd. Let the eight-plus months of talking head fellatio begin.

(And you may tell yourself, this is not my beautiful wife. And you may say to yourself, my god! who the hell is blowing me?!)

Jerry said...

You're just the kind of guy who would drink with his neighbor.

Mark said...

Dont be too hard on yourself, Rob. I'm happy to be the G:TB Canadian basketball corespondent.

zman said...

Is it odd to drink with neighbors? In my neighborhood we drink on each other's front lawns all summer.

Mark said...

I try to hang out with my neighbors as little as possible (with the exception of the hot Puerto Rican girls who I lived next to in grad school). Luckily, my appearance makes this pretty easy.