Monday, June 20, 2011

Gifts that keep on giving...

Last week my wife asked me what I wanted for Father's Day. I'm not sure why, she almost all gets me one of two things if she's stumped for gift ideas. A bottle of whiskey or a tattoo gift certificate. You are assured of a positive reaction from me if I'm receiving one of these two items. Anyway, my wife asked and I showed her a picture of some shoes I was looking at online. "These will work.", I said.

This led to a discussion about how many pairs of shoes I already own. I was told I own far too many shoes already. I responded that I'd just thrown out nearly 10 pairs a couple of months ago and, on top of that, there's really no such thing as having too many shoes. Of course, my wife responded that anytime a man owns more shoes than his wife, then it's a problem. That I agree with. But it's not my problem. After this, I decided to put all my (casual) shoes together and see if the amount of shoes was really as "ridiculous" as I was being told it was. Upon further examination, I actually don't think I have nearly enough shoes.



So, as expected. I received a tattoo gift certificate for Father's Day. Like I said, that's always a guaranteed winner with me. Oh yeah, I did end getting a new pair of shoes for Father's Day.



Happy Father's Day, indeed.

20 comments:

rob said...

jordan's making slippers now?

zman said...

Is this a subtle way of saying you're having a baby? Mine will only wear Jordan III's.

You need to infuse some color into your sneaker collection. These are a personal favorite:

http://tinyurl.com/3lbbpj4

rob said...

i noticed that, too, zman. that's a whole lot of white kicks.

rob said...

those lavers are sweet, z. where would one find them?

zman said...

The internet. If you're into non-typical Rod Lavers, you should google "rod laver consortium series" and see what you get. The red ones are key - they're terrycloth and thus perfect for summer. Assuming, of course, that you aren't afraid to walk around in red terrycloth sneakers.

And you can never go wrong with typical Rod Lavers, which are readily available in a few new colors directly from adidas.

T.J. said...

What are you, Imelda Marcos?

Squeaky said...

I see a new but short lived tumblr account: G:TBsneakercollections.tumbler.com

Mark said...

You'll notice there are a pair of Lavers second from the right in the front row.

And yeah, most of my shoes are mostly white or black. Much of this is due to the fact that about half my shoes are for basketball and I'm not playing in multi-colored basketball shoes. I will throw in some grey or navy blue casual shoes from time to time as well.

Mark said...

And yes Z, the wife and I are indeed having a baby.

zman said...

Congratulations. Sleep now while you can.

T.J. said...

Dammit - now the guys having babies will outweigh the divorced dudes here.

WHAT HAPPENED TO MY G:TB?

Danimal said...

congrats mark.
had a shoe collection similar to that, about 20 years ago when i worked at foot locker.
no chucks heh? gotta have a pair of chucks.

Clarence said...

Teej, once we sit you down and tell you how babies are made, then you will understand why there are so many of them.

rob said...

right on, mark. congrats to you and the missus. may i suggest you memorize the book zman presented in the previous post.

T.J. said...

This guy?
http://bit.ly/mkENQI

Mark said...

Had a pair of black chucks. Wore them out. Bought a pair of low top black Vans to replace them. Felt like switching it up.

Wife has already ordered the "Go the Fuck to Sleep" book. I plan on reading rap lyrics to my kid.

Marls said...

Happy 69th birthday to Brian Wilson.

zman said...

Smile.

rob said...

i first read this post on my iphone - after seeing it on my computer i realize what that second picture represents. that's awesome.

Danimal said...

ditto rob...first thought they were some sort of correctional shoes and immediately felt bad for mark. i pictured a tattoo'd, physically challenged hoopster playing pick-up games at the local Y. am pleased that i was mistaken.