Friday, January 11, 2008

Help, I've Eaten My Offense and I'm Crapping My Trousers

Rick Majerus just lead his Saint Louis Billikens to an NCAA D-1 record 20 pts. Read that again to make sure you're interpreting it correctly. That's 20 points...by the entire team...for the game. I'm not exactly clear as to how a group of Division 1 basketball players can do this. But, I can tell you though, that putting up 7 in the first half is a great start.

I had the chance to meet Mr. Majerus at Five Star basketball camp in high school (Fun Factoid/Prank Gambling Nugget: a 6-pack to anyone who can guess the MVP of that week's camp. Hint: 6' 11" white guy, could play any position, and was maybe the biggest bust in Div-1 hoops history) and at the time he seemed like he really knew his stuff. Of course I was 16 and assumed any college basketball coach was a genius, so I could have had the proverbial wool over my eyes, but Jesus Christo hombre. Did the World Wide Leader leech the X's and O's right out of him or has the game passed him by?

Even still, whether he's still got it or not, I'm pretty sure I could throw together 10 guys right now that could score 25 against...George Washington (5-6 Overall)?! Pi-Lam '97 and '98 would have easily dropped 30. Shouldn't the college hoops parity encourage players to have more pride in their work?

This is unacceptable, Ricky.

10 comments:

rob said...

joey beard

Dennis said...

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

rob said...

niiiice. he wound up having a decent little career at boston university, but that ain't duke.

rob said...

you can give that 6-pack to teejay. i'm quite sure he's earned it.

Geoff said...

I know it's only January 11th...but that's the leader in the clubhouse for best title for a post in 2008.

Whitney said...

I'm not up on my "college basketball" trivia like you dudes (sitting around listening to Rob and Chris Marston play the "College?" game is both humbling and annoying), but the part of the article about St. Louis's scoring ineptitude that stunned me most was the pre-shot-clock low-scoring record. In 1973 (not exactly peach-basket era), Tennessee knocked off Temple by the score of 11-6. That's right, 11-6. Wow, would I have asked for my $2 back.

T.J. said...

Oh OJ, when will you learn...

rob said...

i went to an alabama-huntsville vs. belhaven (naia) game when i was a kid where the final score was 20-10. uah was much better than their opponent, who played a 4 corners the entire game. bizarre and awful.

Geoff said...

But you were probably out of there in under an hour....which is nice.

rob said...

what's nice is that it only took me 5 minutes to find information on a 30 year-old naia basketball game. the internet, she is magnificent.