Thursday, August 02, 2007

Several Days Late and Many Dollars Short

I know, I know, this place has been a DeadZone this week (but not the lame USA network/Anthony Michael Hall DeadZone...the cool and creepy Christopher Walken DeadZone): Whit recovering from too much boozery, Rob holed up in the only part of California without TV or the interweb (yet Rob's phone keeps calling me), me recovering from some awesome SARS/Ebola/West Nile mix and Dennis, well, honestly, we never know where Dennis is or what he's up to. What does any of this have to do with you? Nothing really, just a lot of words that serve as a buffer between yet another goofy title and my usual nonsensical rantings...

Sure, it's been almost a week, but I would be remiss if I did not tip my cap to all the attendees of last Friday's DC Blogger Happy Hour. A good time was had by all, I am sure of that, though most of the evening is fuzzy...Unsilent Majority showing up in a Derrick Thomas jersey set the stage nicely, the Brothers Mottram of Mr. Irrelevant did not disappoint (I am still laughing at Jamie and the Blog Show closed captioning), Awful Announcing was in the house, I found Rob a new friend in Dan at Red Sox Monster, Blog Show producer Littles is indeed a huge Lebowski fan, Miss Chatter does a much better job covering the Nats than we could ever do (and she has a money iPhone) and if memory serves Agent Steinz even showed for a few minutes, just long enough for me to (once again) implore him to set up a G:TB/Gheorghe sit-down. I know there were others there as well, but honestly, too much cheap beer (and perhaps a handful of Red Bull Vodkas) means I can't remember at all...

You want good rock whistling AND a random Gorky Park reference? Then the Scorpions "Wind of Change" is where it's at...

I never thought this day would come, but in the last six months it appears the Albany Times Union is actually pulling its weight as a real newspaper. I know, hard to believe, but the paper most often referred to in my youth as the Times Useless was the first to break the Orlando steroids story (Hi Gary Matthews!), a probe which also eventually linked to Chris Benoit, and their recent coverage of this Michael Strahan training camp soap opera (brought to my attention by Geoffrey) has been pretty decent (speaking of Mr. Strahan - Michael, shut up, take your $4 mil and play ball...well, once you've skipped 90% of training camp that is).

In sorting through all these baseball trades and the prospects dealt, I stumbled upon my new favorite minor leaguer (he was not part of any of these deals...I just found myself searching the South Atlantic League site...I know, get a life): LHP Antonio Bastardo, Lakewood BlueClaws (a Phillies affiliate)...3-0, 2.10 in July and 6-0, 1.42 overall, 63 K in 61 IP, only 11 ER all season long. Honestly, how many Philly fans do you think will own a "Bastardo" jersey as soon as they realize this guy exists?

Mr. Litos, we like the switch to WordPress, now how about a Tribe Tuesday (or Thursday)?

Ah yes, my beloved Jankees - I mean, what is there to say? Hottest team since the All-Star break, scoring runs at a blazing clip, albeit crushing some god awful teams along the way. Seven back of the Red Sox in the AL East, three back of the Indians in the Wild Card. Rob might not be worried (or need to be worried, really), but the Yankees finally have it turned around. Or so I hope...I know just talking about the Yankees on G:TB means I've probably cursed them and cost them a playoff spot. Well, if that's the case, let me just say I think it's great how well Josh Beckett and Daisuke Matsuzaka have pitched this year and what a lucky break that they've managed to avoid any major injuries (think that will work?).

Finally, I am amazed, yet pleasantly surprised, by the sudden reemergence of B-movie legend Bruce Campbell. You should know who Bruce Campbell is, but if not, I'll wait... go ahead, Google him... there, he's the Evil Dead guy. And if you have never seen Evil Dead or Army of Darkness, you're really missing out. Anyway, Bruce is back on the USA network's (wow, two mentions of the USA network in one post?) summer action/comedy/spy/whatever series "Burn Notice", playing heavy drinking ex-CIA spook Sam...but, even better, Bruce also has this fantastic Old Spice commercial running:

24 comments:

T.J. said...

Rocket had a tough outing this afternoon...thank god only 3 of those 8 runs were earned.

T.J. said...

I'm thinking Greg is a big fan of that commercial...

Whitney said...

Bruce Campbell did the finest ever portrayal of a man with a chainsaw for a hand that I have ever seen. Bar none.

Mark said...

Ahoy. He's got another Old Spice commercial with a 75 ft. picture of ship with approximately 36 masts. It's quite good.

Geoff said...

Whitney, I think you are forgetting about Hume Cronyn's turn as "Old Chainsaw Fingers" in "The Pain and the Yearning." And, I think Sinbad played a guy with a chainsaw for an arm over a 3 episode arc on "A Diff'rent World."

Whitney said...

Point taken, Geoff, but it was "Diff'rent Strokes" and "A Different World." That's like typing it "Goodbye, Mr. CHiPs."

T.J. said...

The Fax of Life? Purrfect Strangers?

T.J. said...

UNLV head coach Lon Kruger had open-heart bypass surgery yesterday in which SIX bypasses were performed. I'm not sure I've ever heard of a sextuple bypass...perhaps Lon should've asked for a trade-in ticker while he was there?

rob said...

here's a wakefield/clemens bet update after yesterday's action. since the bet was initiated:

wakefield, 8-2, 4.95 era, 1.32 whip, .268 baa

clemens, 3-5, 4.23 era, 1.32 whip, .268 baa

that's not a typo - they're dead even in whip and baa. clemens leads on the strength of his era. those 5 unearned yesterday helped quite a bit.

T.J. said...

Joe Morgan feels, and I quote, "wins are most important, because, yeah, you know, I played with Johnny Bench...so Wake is winning."

Mark said...

Puurfect Strangers got me.

Any word on whether Kruger had his unibrow removed while he was in the hospital?

Geoff said...

And by my count, the Nats have 54 games left...and have to win just 15 of those to keep TJ from winning that bet. now that would be an epic collapse.

Cathy said...

Hey, were you at last night's Nats game? I swore I saw you walking into the stadium.

Great to meet you at the happy hour!

T.J. said...

I was indeed...what do you think - 5,000 max at the stadium last night?

I eagerly await Happy Hour V.

T.J. said...

This was the reported attendance: 26,223 (58.3% full)

Um...no.

rob said...

never thought i'd see a girl (woman? what are we supposed to call you people) other than jerry's sister commenting on g:tb. teejay, you sly devil.

T.J. said...

Someone, Chandy is (even more) sad...

Geoff said...

And by "someone" TJ means "somewhere"...a common mistake.

rob said...

ah, yes, chandy. how could i forget?

Geoff said...

and what happened to Bruno? Where's "forumforem" these days?

T.J. said...

I saw "canelover" over the weekend.

T.J. said...

Nice...

ESPN's latest entertainment project is Bobby V in Japan, a feature on former Rangers manager Bobby Valentine's exploits managing Japanese baseball. The film, produced by Throwback Pictures, airs next spring.

T.J. said...

Don't look now, but the hottest team in baseball? Your hometown Washington Nationals, winners of 6 in a row.

Dave said...

Hello everyone I want to introduce you guys to a group a private investigators who can help you with information you need in any situation in life and they are ready to follow you step by step until your case is cleared just contact +17078685071 and you will happily ever after
Premiumhackservices@gmail.com