Friday, January 19, 2007

GTB Friday All Skate

Wanted to pop in early this morning and thank Dan over at the DC Sports Bog for sending along my latest cubicle decoration, the Gilbert Arenas Donut poster. It replaces a 2004 wall calendar my predecessor left up and I was simply too lazy to take down. So the Agent Zero poster joins the Gheorghe autograph, the Mia Hamm autograph, the Jets coffee mug and the Khalil Greene booblehead as the only sports paraphernalia in my cube.
**********

And here are my Brandon Lang winners this week (from yesterday's comments):
Chicago (-1) vs. New Orleans
God wants them to win. And maybe Spike Lee too. Saints.
Indy (-3) vs. New England

I'd like to see Manning win this game. Which of course means he won't. Patriots.
**********

There is a new scourge of FM radio...an unbelievable plague infecting Top 40 stations and VH1's Top 20 countdown. I know you've encountered it, because it's impossible to avoid. It is prevalent in the work of various douchebag bands, with Hinder and The Fray being the current leaders in the clubhouse. It's what I now call "Whiny Rock", and it's highlighted (of course) by that whiny-ass tone to the song, the whiny-ass lyrics and the complete disregard for enunciating anything while you whine for 4 straight minutes. You know what I mean...roll the clips (damn it YouTube):
- Horrible, rotten whiny Fray
-- Suck-ass Hinder
I don't want to give the impression these are the only two offenders, let's also recognize these clowns:
- Nickelback
-- The All-American Rejects
I blame Grey's Anatomy for this.
**********

REVERSE SKATE
**********

This is bound to entertain Whit - I have some weekend college hoops picks for you to scrutinize, as part of my Battle for the Aggro-Crag (Full disclosure: I had never heard of this Nickelodeon show GUTS or this crazy Aggro-Crag thing before - I thought Double Dare was the only money game show on Nickelodeon). I am, however, happy to get involved in any pick 'em league run by a guy who has met OJ Simpson. Proving once again I am a terrible gambler, I went 4-4 last week, putting me squarely in the cellar...the Week 2 picks:

Saturday
*LSU at Arkansas - Big Baby Davis. 28 and 14. Four fried chickens and a Coke. LSU.
*Texas at Villanova - Kevin Durant really is as good as you've heard. It's not a stretch to think he will cause Curtis Sumpter to blow out his knee for the 11th time. Texas.
*Wisconsin at Illinois - Lando Tucker will own the Illini tomorrow. Wisconsin.
*Arizona at UCLA - How have we not cannonized this Chase Buddinger kid yet? Arizona.
*Oklahoma State at Texas A&M - I hated A&M last year. Nothing's changed. Okie St.
*Boston College at Clemson - BC just had to kick two donkeys off their team, one of them being the 3rd leading shot blocker in the country. Clemson needs this win more. Clemson.

Sunday
*Maryland at Virginia Tech - Maryland, consistently inconsistent. Va Tech has another solid home win in them. Va Tech.
*Marquette at Pitt - Pitt is the king of the Big East. Aaron Gray is a really big, really goofy white dude. Pitt.
**********

Rob: The Founder of Gheorghe: The Blog here to make a cameo appearance. Since Teejay's bound and determined to get more people to come to this remote outpost, I figure it's a decent time to tell our new visitors why Gheorghe: The Blog exists. The text below is from the very first entry in these pages, born from my extremely bored mind in November 2003. Still rings true today:

"Mission Statement, or What's a Gheorghe, and Why Should I Care?

I don't trust anyone that can't laugh at himself. I think that Crash Davis was dead on, right up until he started talking about Susan Sontag, at which point I tuned out. I'm hopelessly addicted to the Boston Red Sox, even though I know it's not good for me. I believe that sports, like society at large, is full of self-important, egomaniacal windbags at all levels, and I intend to use this space to tilt at the windmills that threaten to suck all of the joy out of the things that I love.

This space is named, with love, for the most fun athlete ever to draw a paycheck from a professional franchise. Gheorghe Muresan, late of the Washington Bullets and New Jersey Nets, stood 7'7" and weighed 330+ pounds. He shuffled around a basketball court like a slightly more mobile version of Frankenstein's monster, with a splay-footed gait and elbows and knees that flailed about as if independently operated. His elongated, comically expressive face conveyed the unmistakable glee and amazement with which he viewed his place in the NBA’s firmament, even as he made the often numbing journey from rookie to veteran. He played a handful of NBA seasons with a modicum of success, being honored as the NBA's Most Improved Player in 1997-98. Most importantly, though, he played basketball and approached life with a pure, unadulterated joy that was, and is, unmatched by any other professional athlete.

Gheorghe's spirit and the joy with which he appears to approach life offer lessons for all of us about the important things. This space will celebrate those in sports and elsewhere that live with Gheorgheness, and skewer those that think they are more important than the game - be it sports or life. Gheorghe: The Internet Magazine, had a brief, meteoric run several years ago, flaming to earth in a blaze of apathy amidst rampant rumors of financial mismanagement. Gheorghe: The Blog rises like a phoenix from the ashes, or at least like a Weeble, to carry on the Gheorghian mission."

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

That song by The Fray makes me want to punch strangers in the face repeatedly, and listen to some Slayer.

Geoff said...

Not surprisingly, I enjoy both of those songs. Almost as much as I like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndqNAU9lOLw

T.J. said...

The worst part? There are TWO songs by the Fray that suck balls. I almost just killed myself "researching" the songs...

Geoff said...

The other one is Over My Head...what you'll like even better is that "How to Save a Life" was relaesed in 2005, did okay, but was then re-released after being used in Grey's Anatomy...and then it went to #1. I also really enjoy Grey's Anatomy...and dudes...with huge penises...

Geoff said...

Here you go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN162wtU910

T.J. said...

Yes, I believe Grey's is a huge culprit in this...but what amazes me is how many of these bands/songs there seem to be RIGHT NOW, always on the radio, taking precious airtime away from my favorite, "Smack That" by Akon.

Geoff said...

I blame this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ff_HufQ2vA

T.J. said...

Yep...he's the Bin Laden of Whiny Rock.

Anonymous said...

All these whiny bands could learn a thing or two from Akon. That guy knows how to romance a lady...

T.J. said...

He also knows how to "kick it like Tae Bo"...

T.J. said...

"Step one you say we need to talk
He walks you say sit down it's just a talk
He smiles politely back at you
You stare politely right on through
Some sort of window to your right
As he goes left and you stay right
Between the lines of fear and blame
And you begin to wonder why you came..."

Whitney said...

Blame Blink 182. They took punk and put the angsty teen spin on it -- and they did it great for a pair of albums. Their imitators think that a droning, fuzzed-up electric guitar (fuzzed up with distortion, not actual fuzz like my man Billy Gibbons) makes you rock. Well, it doesn't if you pathetically pout about losing a girl or the state of the world over it. But radio DJ's will love it.

Whitney said...

Also, Teej, it's not accurate to damn Grey's Anatomy like that. According to the Interweb, they play a lot of current music that's either good, popular, or both. Some of it may be this suck-rock of which you speak, but much is not:

Wilco "Hummingbird"
Gnarls Barkley "Crazy" & "Gone Daddy Gone"
Grant Lee Phillips "Under The Milky Way"
TV on the Radio "Province"
Interpol "Evil"
Beck "Think I'm In Love"
Son Volt "World Waits for You"
The Postal Service "Such Great Heights"
Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Gold Lion"
Rilo Kiley "Portions for Foxes"
Ben Lee "Catch My Disease"
KT Tunstall "Universe & U"
Snow Patrol "Chasing Cars"
Nouvelle Vague "I Melt With You"
Bow Wow Wow "I Want Candy"

I don't watch the show, but I can't argue wioth the soundtrack. In fact, I kind of can't believe they can afford it. Supposedly 25% of what it cost to make "Dazed and Confused" came from paying royalties to the soundtrack copyright owners. Perhaps the laws have changed?

T.J. said...

Get that t-shirt lawyer on the phone again...

rob said...

pop radio makes me weep for the future and pray that satellite radio gains a foothold.

T.J. said...

I thinking posting the mission statement is at least good for three more readers.

rob said...

that's what i was thinking, too

T.J. said...

Just wait 'til this Weeble Super Hero image pops up...

rob said...

i also posted the mission statement on the minute chance that dan the bogger hooks us up with gheorghe. i want the big fella to be clear about the fact that we have much love for him.

rob said...

i'm not certain, but i feel like i've heard 'moment of zen' somewhere before.

T.J. said...

Ya think?

T.J. said...

The Tribe freefall continues...

rob said...

i dunno - losing by 8 at hofstra's nothing to be ashamed of, especially when the tribe was up 69-68 before the pride ripped off the game's final 9 points. for the first time in a long while it feels like the tribe's actually building towards something.