Monday, January 29, 2024

The Things I'd Carry

rob's The Things We'd Carry post posits "I'm not one to spend a lot of money on cars or fancy watches or other ostentatious trappings of success."  If you read my posts you know I like cars and watches so color me ostentatious.  And I posit that fancy watches can hold memories just like the stuff in rob's post.  For example, go to 6:15 in this interview with Alton Brown.  Or this clip from Pulp Fiction.

This is my 1965 Omega Seamaster Chronograph, reference 143.646.  It's a special watch, if you're into watches, because it has a 321 movement, the same movement in the Omega Speedmasters worn by the Apollo 11 astronauts, which is also known as the Moonwatch.  The only movement certified for use on the moon!  It's sort of like an air-cooled flat-six, if that means anything to you.

Aesthetically, I love the domed crystal, small (by modern standards) size, and the way the 3-6-9 markers are cut away by the chronograph registers.  I like to imagine some apprentice who was too junior to be allowed to touch a dial, let alone a movement, cropping them with giant shears so that they fit perfectly with the subdials.  There's a whole online fetish around cropped numerals, if you're into that.

It's also a special watch because my father received it as a high school graduation present from our Mitsu Bacsi (or our Uncle Nick for you Muricans).  Mitsu Bacsi wasn't really our uncle, he was my grandfather's best friend but we called him Bacsi anyway because Hungarians like to appropriate people into their family, it's a cultural thing.  Mitsu's wife was Swiss and during a trip back to her motherland they got watches for all the zfamily.  I think this was a much cheaper proposition in the 1960s than it is today.  The Seamaster originally came on a beads of rice bracelet but it pulled the (copious) hair on my father's wrist so he threw it out (they now sell for hundreds of dollars) and wore it daily for about 20 years until he did some business with Seiko and wound up with one of their watches.  He pulled the Seamaster out of a drawer another 20 years later, had it serviced in Switzerland, and gave it to me for my 31st birthday.  I wore it daily for about 10 years until I realized that it's a relatively valuable (maybe $5k-$6k) and elderly timepiece, and got some newer watches to wear daily.  It's now a special occasion type of thing, or I wear it if I feel like I need a little extra oomph to get something done--I have Dad and Mitsu Bacsi with me while I negotiate with some jerk or interview for a job.

Dedicated GTB readers will recall the story of Mike's watch.  Mike mentioned giving the watch to zson, but eventually all those involved agreed that it made more sense for Shirley to have the cash than for my half-man-half-monkey son to have a $150,000 watch.  So I bought this Tudor Black Bay 36 that I will give zson at some point.

Tudor is a Rolex affiliate, sort of the Chevrolet to Rolex's Cadillac, so it follows the spirit of Mike's intent.  The size, handset, and dial color are all great, the ETA movement is reliable and easy to service, and it's an automatic so you don't have to wind it, just wear it.  I wear it regularly so it will have a few dings when I hand it over.

To commemorate leaving a miserable job, I bought myself a Sinn 756 Diapal.  It's a chronograph that also tracks time in two time zones.  It isn't a proper GMT, the second hour hand is based on 12 hours, but if you work with people in another country (which I've done) and wanted to time things like the number of hours you've been on the record in a deposition (which I've done) and you want a durable travel watch that can do both things, this is your huckleberry.

Sinn is a German company with a reputation for rugged tool watches but they don't have much name recognition in the US.  The 756 features a modified Valjoux 7750 movement so it has some Swiss engineering, but its design and materials are very Germanic--the German navy makes submarines using the same steel that Sinn uses for their watches.  It's not super wide, 40 mm, but it's stupidly thick at 14 mm.  It wears well but it doesn't like to stay under your cuff so it's prominent.  I'm giving this one to zdaughter someday because a girl named Esme should have an oversized watch from her father.

You may think that mechanical watches are frivolous and wasteful, and I see where you're coming from.  But I promise you that your kids and grandkids aren't going to cherish your Apple Watch or Casio G-Shock.  Hopefully mine will rely on these when they need a little extra oomph as I have with the Seamaster.  I'm taking them with me.

rob had a lot of photos in his bag of holding.  I'm not into them.  It rarely occurs to me to photograph something other than food and zcats.  That said, almost all of the art in zhome is photographs taken by my other Hungarian fugazi uncle, Bela Bacsi.  His brother married my grandfather's sister, which makes us absolutely nothing.

But he was a righteous dude and a nominally famous photographer.  This interview involves a photo he took in Chicago for Life Magazine.  Go ahead and read it, I'll wait.  I have that same photo in my dining room and it's important to me for several reasons.  

First, it's a damn good photo.  Many people have commented on it, it's striking in person and gives off a strong communal vibe.  The details are great.  At most two of the chairs are the same.  Everyone holds their knife Euro-style.  It's hard to see below, but the three boys at the bottom of the image are sharing two chairs.  The baby is mischievous.  


Second, Bela Bacsi provided me with tons of support, encouragement, and wisdom when I was getting divorced and I will always be grateful to and fond of him.  He was married a few times himself, being an accomplished stickman in his youth and a sly dog in his dotage, and he always took it upon himself to wingman me with the waitress whenever we went to lunch.  "He's a lawyer, very successful!  You should give him your phone number!"

Third, I did a piece of legal work for Bela around this photo.  zwoman and I went to dinner at a higher-end chain restaurant in NYC.  They recently renamed a few of their flagship locations, and along with the check they included a postcard announcing the renaming.  The front of the postcard was this photo (I'm telling you it's a damn good photo) so I called Bela the next day and congratulated him on getting this bit of work.  It turns out they didn't license the image, they just used it, and Bela Bacsi was ripshit to put it mildly.  We worked out a deal with the restaurant (they were stunned that an 88-year-old Hungarian guy had spies on the ground and I shamed them mercilessly) and I refused to take any money for the work, despite Bela Bacsi's protestations.  But I do have a copy of that photo.  It goes in the bag.  You can find his photos and books online if you want something for your wall or shelf (or your bag).

That's really all I need to keep.  I have a few other important items (things zkids made for me, a photocopy of my grandmother's handwritten manuscript about her life from 1929-1945, my grandparents' license plates from the 1940s and 1950s) but they aren't as interesting to write about (except for the manuscript, which I cannot summarize) so I'll travel light with three watches and a picture.  I probably don't even need a bottomless bag.

20 comments:

OBX dave said...

Z and his automotive and timepiece knowledge are treasures. He also under-rates his ability to spin a yarn. I'd listen to him tell tales about watches and family, never mind legal encounters and previous jobs, for quite a while.

Danimal said...

What OBX Dave said. Less knowledgeable am I on the mechanics, for I am just a caveman, but the appreciation for these things is shared. I love, love, love that Seamaster and that's before knowing the story behind it. Priceless. Will carve out some time at lunch to read Bacsi's interview.

rob said...

hell hath no fury like an octogenarian hungarian scorned

rob said...

for the record, z, i don't consider any of these watches ostentatious. but i take your larger point.

zman said...

No offense was taken and I enjoy getting on my high horse and riding it around the internet.

I probably should have looked at the service records before I wrote this post, but the Seamaster was made in 1958, not 1965. zfather got it in 1965. Maybe watches sat around a lot longer back then, or Mitsu Bacsi got it used. I don't know.

Lots of stuff was replaced during service (the crystal, crown, hands, pushers, bezel, etc.) but they return all of the removed parts except for the lume (the original lume was radioactive). I'm not sure what to do with all of it but I have it.

rob said...

i'm also a small-wristed fella on whom large-faced watches look a bit like flava flav put his clock on my hand.

Whitney said...

He prefers Flavor Flav. Get it straight, man.

And I’ve got the same type of forearm but the missus gave me a nice watch for Christmas and it ain’t too Flav-ish.

zman said...

I too have the wrists of a 12-year-old girl so I keep 'em 40mm or smaller, 34-36mm is ideal for me.

rob said...

my apologies to the entire flav family

rob said...

wrexham, against the run of play!

rob said...

the comments jinx is real!

Shlara said...

another excellent post Z
you are wasting your time and talent being a lawyer

zman said...

Everyone's tired of watches.

Thanks Shlara, I say the same thing to myself every day. Unfortunately I don't know how to do anything other than write halfassed blog posts and lawyer. I'm considering opening a sneaker store though.

rob said...

the magachuds are amping up their attacks on the "rigged" nfl while trumpworld vows "holy war" on taylor swift and orange julius caesar claims he's more popular than the singer. as foretold in the ancient runes.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/donald-trump-more-popular-taylor-swift-maga-biden-1234956829/

Whitney said...

So dumb. And so mistaken.

I’m surprised people who consume and spew as much bile and venom don’t have more serious digestive issues. Maybe they do.

Whitney said...

In far more impactful news, I got a memo that the Cheesy Western is coming to Richmond. Joyful.

zman said...

Shouldn't the MAGA Cinematic Universe be rooting against the Niners, because rooting for the Niners would mean they're aligned with Nancy Pelosi and they can't be on her side of anything ... right?

T.J. said...

Nick Bosa's MAGA-ness makes the 49ers the choice of Trump World

Marls said...

It really is amazing that our digital world allows firebrand clownshows to make ridiculous statements and monetize them via clicks and followers all while the media amplifies it all with clickbait headlines for further financial gain further pushing folks into their tribal silos. We are getting exactly what we deserve as a society.

Whitney said...

Why do I deserve this??? I’m not an angry, mean person!!