Sunday, December 30, 2018

Gheorghemas Interlude: Shit to Make You Smile

As we wind down what has to go down as one of the worst annums in recent memory (Red Sox World Series championship notwithstanding), I want to leave us on a high note. Over the past several weeks, in addition to the usual heartwarming holiday fare - like Gheorghemas - a number of noteworthy and happy-making things crossed by desk.

FOG:TB LeBron James was caught on camera dadding the shit out of it after his son's basketball game. While I might argue that a parent's first job post-game is to ask his kid if they had fun, tell them that you love them, and leave the coaching to the coaches, we'll give the world's best basketball player a pass. I love how he boosted his kid while pointing out how his efforts contributed to the team's outcome.



Lin Wang died in December. He was a cat-litter chemist from Muscatine, Iowa. Charles Barkley showed up at his funeral, and said a few words. The full story, from Wang's daughter Shirley, is remarkable.



Here are a handful of Liverpool players surprising kids at a local school, not all of which are fans of the Reds.



I'm a sucker for military parent/child reunions, maybe because I had a few of those myself as a young man. They never fail to bring a tear to my eye. You can argue that they're exploitative, and when they happen in public venues like ballgames, I might agree. But this one was great.



I miss President Obama. Hell, I miss President Bush at this point - either one. I cannot for a moment fathom the current occupant of the White House doing this, which is all the more reason for the sentiment in the first sentence of this paragraph.


And finally, in a bit of a departure from everything else in this post, Christmas Day marked the 25th anniversary of the release of Tombstone, one of the all-time stop-and-watch movies. Whitney really nailed it when he scored me that autographed Doc Holliday lid. In honor of the occasion, one of too many terrific scenes from the film.

20 comments:

Marls said...

Dave - you might point out to them that there is now a Guiness brewery and taproom in Baltimore. I’m sure the Guinesss folks installed that tap.

zman said...

K-Swiss reissued the Si-18?! How did I miss that?

Whitney said...

Awesome post, dude.

And Marls... third time’s a charm when it comes to spelling Guinness.

T.J. said...

A swiss miss by zman, if you will

Whitney said...

A+, Teejer

zman said...

Martina Hingis?

T.J. said...

Ursula Andress?

TR said...

We have met with friends/family for a week straight. Lots of fun, but my liver is ready for a rest.

I am in max sloth mode today. Sunday NY Times, Man U football, 10 hours of NFL, a pot of coffee with fresh-ground beans and lots of leftovers in fridge.

TR said...

We had a night without fecal surprises from both our dog and the one we are watching. But the day is still young...

rob said...

it occurs to me that we essentially started the year with tr writing a post about a fecal deluge, and we're ending it with a similar bookend. shit sandwich is a pretty good way to succinctly encapsulate 2018.

Marls said...

It ain’t my fault the Irish can’t spell

Mark said...

Mark Richt bailing on Miami three years in isn’t something I saw coming this time last year. Interesting hire upcoming for the administration in Coral Gables.

Whitney said...

Leaving the Sunshine State in 30 mins. Been a remarkably pleasant 4 days down here after 3 in PA, considering lots of family and alcohol were involved. 84° to 48° wont be a gentle transition.

rob said...

tribe wins, 71-61, over towson. 2-0 in caa play, with two solid defensive performances. no idea what to make of this.

Whitney said...

Skins lose, completing the the-injuries-were-horrible-and-yet-somehow-they-still-have-no-excuse-if-you-watched-the-games 2018 season. Aaaaaand they — and Kirk Cousins — let the Eagles into the playoffs. Neat.

Mark said...

I’ve only stayed up this late to wish my wife a Happy Birthday. So I might as well do it here. She continues to be better than I deserve. Lots of tattoos have been purchased for you.

rob said...

my wife is getting ready to ring in the new year with dieter and the global elite at the brandenburg gate, while i'm preparing to chaperone a house party for teenagers. one of these is not like the others.

TR said...

Wife and I agreed to go to a neigbor’s house w/ kids and it has turned into a gathering of folks we actively dislike. Plan is to use the “we crated our dogs” argument and be in bed by 1030 PM. Hopefully we won’t be furiously defecalizing any dogs in our tub tonight.

Dave said...

game night new year's at our house tonight, if anyone wants to stop by. bananagrams, scrabble, texas hold'em, etc. party ends at 12:01.

rootsminer said...

I thought I was free and clear to stay home tonight, but one of my wife's coworkers decided to continue with her annual karaoke party. I will be crushing Achy Breaky Heart at some point this evening.