Saturday, December 15, 2018

Gheorghemas Interlude: Shit I've Had to Drink This Month

I was in Louisville last night, at a generally nondescript Marriott, except for one thing. It had an exceptional bourbon menu. After perusing it for way too long, I settled on a Four Roses Single Barrel. It was remarkable smooth for a 100 proof tipple. Several whiskies didn't carry menu prices, listed only at 'Market Price'. I asked after the Pappy 15, only to stifle a laugh when I was told that that market rate was $175 per pour. My company was paying, but my hypocrisy apparently does know some bounds.

It's been a good December for me, tipple-wise. And so as we wait for Day 5, soon to be here, a brief rundown of the terrific stuff I've had to drink of late.

Mr. KQ treated me, Marls, and Jerry to a tasting of several amazing beers from Aslin and The Veil, including Selfish Predator from the former, and Dirt Nap, and Dirt Dirt Nap Nap from the latter's Richmond location.

The Richmond area is also home to Center of the Universe Brewing, which makes Shut Up, described as an Imperial White Stout. At 11%, it gets hard to describe after more than one. But it tastes amazing, all vanilla and warmth. I'm drinking one right now.

I take my daughter to cheerleading practice many Tuesdays, and I complain about the 25-minute one-way drive. But only to make a point. In reality, I don't mind, because her gym is a stone's throw from Ocelot Brewing. And a friend of mine did the design and installation of Ocelot's HVAC system, so he gets free beer for life. He meets me there a lot, so I drink for free, as well. Their Lean on Me double IPA is in my kitchen, unlike Cliff Clavin.

Finally, I was in Minneapolis earlier in the month, and my new team bought me two four-packs of Surly Furious. Sucking up to the boss? Absolutely. Did it work? Equally so. At least until they miss their number in the first quarter.

May your imbibing be as good as mine has been this happy season.


4 comments:

Marls said...

Mrs. Marls and I took Whit to Ocelot during a office park brewery crawl. Good times.

TR said...

Wife and I have back to back Xmas parties this w/e. I went limping into the Friday party after a hectic work week that left me very underslept. Of course, wife and I lose track of time and lose count of our drinks. Home late, not enough sleep, and a busy day before another family party.

zman said...

I have my dreaded neighborhood progressive Xmas party tonight a leg of which I had to host last year, and which was attended by a few FsOGTB including GTB lurker Hoopie. I will either drink little and go to bed early or drink way too much and embarrass myself into the wee hours of the morning. There is no inbetween.

Mark said...

Pertinent to this post: I’m in the middle of my boozy lunch and just got my second beer. It’s a new version of the Sweetwater 420. It’s called Sweetwater 420 strain G-13 IPA. It’s a very good beer and it smells like really good weed. Like uncomfortably so.