Friday, December 21, 2018

Twelve Days of Gheorghemas: Day 8


On the seventh day of Gheorghemas, Big Gheorghe gave to me:

Eight Bud Lites with Andy
Seven Book Categories for Reading
Six Cylinders for Shlara
Five Givings of Thanks
Four Badass Women
Three(+) Decades of Love’s Labor
Two Things You’re Needing
And a Fat Guy in a Sweet T


This first paragraph written from TX BBQ restaurant bar in IAH. That’s frequent traveler talk for Bush. Bush Airport. Houston.TR knows what’s I’m talkin’ ‘bout. Wednesday night the 19th after two full days here touching some bases. Upon unpacking Monday night, I realized I only had one pair of dress socks, so when you leave the house and get that inkling that you forgot something, look in your bag and figure that out. Today’s PRO TIP.

Flying to ROA tomorrow afternoon. That’s Roanoke. Virginia. Sup Rootsy. Solo. Two nights. Glutton for punishment. But not really. Going to have eight Bud Lite’s with Andy. It won’t be a literal 8, for he anyway, more like 1 over eight pulls. Consuming a 12’r of BL’s during a VATECH tailgate Saturday is of the past.

Looking forward to the rendezvous. Dreading it too. When I with complete randomness picked the 8th day, I knew I had to tie it to my bro Andy. Would have been the case for the first, fifth, eleventh. Just would have been. Why? Because it is all I think about. And all I never think about. It’s why I am waiting until this very last minute to put the tip to keyboard.

On my 16th bday, Andy married one of my sisters, Kim. Kim and Andy met while Andy’s mom was in Rockingham Memorial Hospital in Harrisonburg, VA some thirty years ago. Kim was her nurse. A few years later they were hitched, and hot damn I finally had a brother.

Andy is a Hokie. As is his sister. Brother. Brother-in-law. Sister-in-law. And his two boys. Until this year, Kim and Andy never missed more than one Hokie game in a season. They’d travel to bowl games too when it allowed. And all games mind you are and have been preceded by world-class tailgating. We are talking about a 30-year span of excellence.

Great guy. Great father, husband, sibling, brother-in-law, son. Truly. Smart chap too. Chemistry nerd followed by an MBA. Completes every crossword puzzle and rubic’s cube with downright ease. Artistic as well -can draw any cartoon. A solid sense of humor and ability to have a good time made he and I pretty compatible. He is very Gheorghian.   

As I write this, I go a few minutes and all is well. And then it is not – extremely dusty in here! To the point I have to shield my face & eyes from the bartender and foreign couple sitting right next to me while I ponder ordering one more Manhattan before boarding.

My sister Kim recently got healthy after years of dealing with some very rare disorders. Sparing you w/the details but Cervical Dystonia preceded by Spasmodic Dysphonia (which another sister has also), a million doctors, stress, years, dollars, marital hardships, and as I said, eventually back to a close to normal thanks to a couple of very small batteries placed in the head. Praise lawd Jesus she’s good to go and damn it, I, and my family, are very, very, happy for she and equally Andy.

That was a year ago. Within what was a month or two, my boy Andy develops breathing issues, seemingly benign until it becomes a bigger problem, breathing that is. Since breathing is a sort of a big deal, Andy went to the doc, or docs more accurately. Pulmonary Fibrosis. Can be treated, managed, but could get worse. It did. Duke visits ensue, several. Lung transplant needed but need to do more tests to confirm. Let’s put you on some pharma to assist with the symptoms. Breathing becomes more difficult and thus heart is working harder. Heart getting weaker. Heart gets bad. Lung transplant need now trumped with heart transplant need. You wanna try and live a few years – how about the old lung and heart transplant? Pretty straightforward really. We just replace your heart and your lungs in one fell swoop.

A double organ transplant? How’s that shake out? It requires a move to Durham well ahead of time. You prepare, get ready. And then wait (do you hope?) for someone to die, hopefully younger and healthier than you that has agreed to be an organ donor and happens to match your needs. And then if that works out, you’ll probably be in the hospital for at least six months, maybe a year. And if it doesn’t work out, you’ll know pretty soon. Could be just a few weeks, days even. Mid-50’s, grown kids. Conundrum for some, others not so.

What say you Andy?

I think we’re going to go ahead and proceed to tap out pards, says Andy. I might be paraphrasing.

The bottom line since you are asking is…absent a miracle this is Andy’s last Christmas. Possibly his last month. We don’t know. Ask me in 24 hours. Or don’t, rather.  It’s okay though, really. Andy is handling this like a champ, worried more about those around him than himself.

I always amused Andy, made him laugh a lot through the years. Sometimes at me and sometimes with. Hoping either to happen here shortly. Will let you know how it goes as I write this last bit from hotel in Christiansburg, VA.

To echo Z’s sentiments yesterday, thankful for GTB. Could be called Gheorghe: The Outlet. It has been a good one for everyone here no doubt.

37 comments:

rootsminer said...

Man Danimal, that is a heavy dose of reality. I'd suggest a meetup, but it sounds like you have much more important things to do while you're in the area. I hope you enjoy the time with your brother and sister, and that they are filled with love and laughter. If there's anything I can do for you when you're in the area, let me know.

I am having an annual get together with my brother and some old buddies tomorrow evening. Last year turned into a shitshow that rivaled the time Whitney came to town on my 39th birthday.

TR said...

Damn. Heavy stuff. Maybe today’s the day to get all this stuff out. It’s the winter solstice, the darkest day of the year. Find a friend tonight, have some low-key fun and appreciate the little things.

I started my day at 430 AM, cleaning puppy vomit off my comforter and wondering my 5th grade kid didn’t ace his math test despite studying hard for it. Maybe we should all be so lucky to only worry about puppy accidents and our kids’ schoolwork.

Unknown said...

Wow. Danny Boy, I'm so sorry. That is gut-wrenching. Life is so unfair sometimes.

I like TR's advice for tonight.

rob said...

as i've shared with the g:tb family, i'm dealing with a bunch more professional stress than i'm accustomed to. i'm grateful to z and danimal for reminding me that my troubles pale in comparison to the challenges so many others are facing. the very best to andy and your entire family, danimal. may laughter and joy be the predominant memories of this christmas for all of you.

Marls said...

I love Dan’s stream of consciousness writing. I hate what it tells us today.

Dan - our actual thoughts and actual prayers (not the Trump Twitter kind) are with you, Andy, Kim and your whole family.

This year has been a constant reminder of the important things in life and the reasons not to ignore them during our precious time here. I’m lucky to have GTB as a way to connect to those important things - even Dave.

Squeaky said...

Danimal, such a tragic tale. Have a blast with Andy and cherish the weekend.

Shlara said...

Just reading this post from Danimal and yesterday’s post from zman. Sending you lots of positive vibes from NoVA.

(I was going to send you hugs but I figure someone on here would pervert that somehow...)

Dave said...

tough one dan, yikes.

on puppy vomit note, our puppy got carsick-- she is prone to this-- and vomited into the tennis ball hopper in between the van seats. the balls and hopper were very difficult to clean. lot of surface area of tennis balls covered in vomit. i eventually gave up and put the hopper on our front lawn, where it is being soaked by the rain and cleaned?

rob said...

tribe at uva tomorrow in the final ooc game for the good guys. i predict...pain.

rootsminer said...

If UMBC can do it, why can't the tribe? Also, pain don't hurt.

zman said...

Sorry Dan. I hope Andy has an excellent Christmas.

Dave, you putz, if anything vomits on a tennis ball you should throw it out. They can’t be cleaned.

Mark said...

Damn, Danimal. Sad for your whole family but happy you get to spend some time with Andy this Christmas.

Whitney said...

Can any balls ever truly be cleaned?

It occurs to me that Shlara may possibly have been referring to me.

Whitney said...

Hola, los gheorghies

zman said...

My balls are immaculate. Maybe because I don’t keep them in a hopper.

zman said...

Nice shutdown, by the way.

Mark said...

Hi gheorghies. The wife and I just finished a 2+ hour gift wrapping marathon. It’s late but I’m having another drink. I’ve earned it.

Donna said...

So sorry, Dan, for what Andy and you all are going through and facing it all this Christmas. May joy and much laughter abound even in its midst.

Dave said...

it's been raining for 48 hours here. i really think those tennis balls are getting cleaned of vomit. then we just need some sun and then freezing weather. i'm going to smell them tomorrow. i'll update you guys as necessary.

Whitney said...

Ball-smelling. A Christmas tradition unlike any other.

T.J. said...

damn danimal, this one hit hard - here's to you and Andy enjoying some belly laughs and Bud Lights

Danimal said...

Thank you for the words my friends. Was a great visit with my sibs and parents joining. All are in good spirits. Heading out of the 540 now. After being gone just about all week, looking forward to seeing the fam.

Mark said...

My wife went to jacksonville this morning to see her friend and attend an Xmas party that involves my kid. So I get a couple days to myself before an onslaught of family time around xmas, which is nice. I have to build that kid a bunk bed today though. Not as nice.

TR said...

A pair of interesting upsets in the Premier League today. I’d be more excited if Man U wasn’t 69 pts behind in the tables.

rob said...

i kinda wish man u hadn't fired jose. they played today with a freedom and joy that they never could've under the special one. they still won't finish top 4, but jose would've kept them boring and joyless for a long time.

Whitney said...

UVA 72, W&M 40. Not so good, Al.

Mark said...

Bunk beds finished. I need beers. And then more beers.

Mark said...

The story/video of a HS wrestler being forced to cut his dreads or forfeit his match is infuriating. That kid’s coaches failed him at every level.

Whitney said...

I’m slated to get picked up by my old man at 8am tomorrow and drive to PA. I love the man but that’s a lot of 1x1 time for two guys who generally empty the convo vault by the third cocktail when we hang. Particularly because he’s a fierce backseat driver and I’ll be operating his vehicle, of which I’m told there is no substitute. $69 to any gheorghie who takes my place on the sojourn.

Whitney said...

That sounded bad. I want to hang with him for the holiday in the Keystone State. The drive time I think may be maddening.

TR said...

The Ravens’ D has been fantastic tonight.

Whitney said...

It just got even better

rob said...

tribe score overshadowed by the 70 army put on houston. in football. zoinks, scoob.

Mark said...

I understand Whit’s conundrum. My old man is a great dude and a large part of who I am...but he’s also a handful at his age. Accomplished, confident and old school as hell.

I chose to build the bunk bed without him today because I needed to be in charge. That probably says as much about me as him. My point being, I curate our long term interactions while also knowing I’m missing out on my time with him.

I have little doubt I’ll soon regret that. Life is not easy.

Hi Gheorghies.

rob said...

i truly don't mean this as a rebuke to whit and mark, as i completely understand the dynamic they describe. but i'd give a lot to spend several hours in the car with my dad right now - and it would be a pain in the ass, just as much as he was.

and hello, gheorghies.

Mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Whitney said...

I actually thought about rob’s dad as I wrote my apologetic rejoinder to my original post. What a thoughtless message I issued considering those who would give a lot to have such interaction with a lost loved one.

If I’m honest, my pop and I spent the bulk of my life ages 8-46 at a distance. Divorce does that, in many cases, and it’s a divide I desperately fear as I parent my kids now. I’ve learned more about how to be as a parent by what both of my folks did wrong than I ever did by example, and that’s from someone who still loves mom and dad.

The honest truth is you can’t pick your family like you can pick your friends. You people and the others I hold dear share at least some semblance of worldview. Anyway, I’ll try to do better to acknowledge that having parents and siblings and children in my life when others mourn their losses mightily is important.

As Norman Dale said, I love you guys.