Sunday, December 02, 2018

Sic Semper Tyrannis

We've been friends for a long time, Gheorghies. I've known some of you for 30 years. (30. Damn. Years. Jesus.) We've been through a lot. We've laughed, cried, puked, embarrassed ourselves and each other, fought, hugged, and laughed some more. I trust all of you implicitly.

This bucolic little town has a dark secret
Which is why I feel it's safe to tell you this story. I'm letting you into my world. My messy, disorganized, haphazard, lazy, immature world. Don't judge me, for I bear my flaws as a lesson to those of you less imperfect. I do this as a vehicle to teach you of the oppressive nature of government, the logical extension of Thomas Hobbes' philosophical rants, lest the Man come for you.

As a preface, allow me to quote to you from the Code of the Town of Leesburg, Virginia, section 34-72:

"It shall be unlawful for a customer to forego repair of water leaks in the supply line or within the premises when identified by town personnel, including but not limited to fire sprinkler systems. The penalty for foregoing repairs shall be denial of discontinuation of water service."

I was not aware of this section of the Town Code, as it will become painfully obvious.

We have 3 1/2 bathrooms in our home. For longer than I care to admit, two of them had toilets that ran constantly. I didn't repair said toilets because I'm a) lazy, b) forgetful, c) really lazy. The Town of Leesburg, on two occasions, contacted me to let me know that my water usage patterns indicated that I might have a leak of some sort, and that I should contact a plumber. I ignored the Town of Leesburg, not because I'm some sort of Ammon Bundy, Fuck the Government type, but because I'm really fucking lazy.

I paid my water bill on time, every time, even as it was expensive in comparison to my neighbors. (Not so expensive as to overcome my unique personal inertia, though. It didn't hurt that much just to pay the bill.) I discharged my obligation to society, paying for that which I received in terms of utilities.

Possibly the Water Gestapo. Water Nazis at least.
Two nights ago, my wife texted to let me know that the Water Gestapo from the Town of Leesburg had shut off our water, citing the aforementioned Town Code section 34-72. Luckily, she was able to reach them before the end of the business day and tell them that we would repair the leaks. The reinstated water service within the hour. No harm done. Except for the fact that my children won't look me in the eye out of shame.

We had a plumber in today who repaired both toilets and fixed a malfunctioning handle in a third toilet, all for $140. Had I known that's all it would've cost, I'd have had those repairs done a long time ago. As it turns out, I'm not only lazy, I'm cheap. At least when it comes to the mundanity of modern homeownership. I fucking hate spending money on home repairs, my friends. And while you'll say I should be able to make those kinds of repairs myself, and you'll be right, the fact remains that I can't. The obvious irony, I know, is that I spent way more on wasted water than I did on repairs. Don't @ me.

So I stand before you today as a lazy, situationally cheap, and extremely unhandy person, and I ask your understanding.

And for the life of me, where the fuck is a Republican small-government type the one time I really want one. Let me pay my fucking bills and run my faucets wide open if I want, you over-officious jerks.

I'm not proud, friends.

11 comments:

zman said...

You should tell this story to people who live in drought-plagued areas like California.

rob said...

as noted, not proud

rob said...

the ending of the liverpool/everton game. holy shit.

Professor G. Truck said...

we subsidize the price of water, you dickweed. if you had to pay the actual cost of what that water is worth, you would have fixed your shit sooner. also, shame on you. i fixed two running toilets last month and i've got the patience of a flea. that being said, i admire your lazy perseverance in the face of shame and adversity.

new post up at park the bus! pretty much the opposite of this one.

http://box5689.temp.domains/~parkthe3/dave-cooks-for-a-week/

zman said...

Did the world really need a double chalupa?

Mark said...

I too am lazy and unhandy but I hate paying people to fix shit at my house more so I’ve forced myself to learn to fix (relatively) minor things over my years of home ownership. Home ownership remains highly overrated.

TR said...

Hahaha - Giants suck ass.

Whitney said...

69° here today

Catpell said...

looks like i picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue but the right season to stop watching the giants.

Whitney said...

Um, they won

rob said...

it's said that friends tell you what you want to hear, and good friends tell you what you need to hear. i'm blessed, gheorghies, to have good friends. i wrote this post as a hastily-conceived vehicle to make fun of my flaws. in so doing, i revealed at least two more flaws - a lack of perspective, and a failure to understand the full picture. my good friends zman and dave called me out on those things, and rightfully so.

i'm going to leave this post up as a monument to my ignorance. there are many of those scattered about my personal landscape.

i give thanks for good friends, and appreciate the deserved chastening.

and that's...one to grow on.

when does gheorghemas start?