Friday, March 09, 2018

Mark Your Calendars

Or, as the case may be, Mark, your calendar. Z, you too. Anyone that's looking for little cultural edification really.

Washington D.C.'s cultural hub, the Kennedy Center (which, honestly, features adventurous and eclectic programming) kicked off its inaugural Hip Hip Culture series last year. Helmed by Artistic Director and Artist at Large Q-Tip, the series is guided by the Center's Hip Hop Council, which features such luminaries as Questlove, Common, Fab Five Freddy, Grant Hill, MC Lyte, and Black Thought.


Of interest from a cross-cultural perspective, the Council also includes sneakerhead, DJ, director and cultural maven Bobbito Garcia. On June 22, the series hosts the U.S. premiere of Garcia's film Rock Rubber 45s, "a cinematic odyssey exploring the connectivity and community surrounding the global basketball, sneaker, and music lifestyle". And if you're coming for the screening, you might as well stay for the after party, which features guest DJs Rich Medina, Stretch Armstrong, DJ Spinna, and Garcia himself.

There are a bunch of events this spring and summer that look to be worth attending. In late March, August Greene (including Common, pianist Robert Glasper, and percussionist/producer Karriem Riggins) takes the stage. A week later, the KenCen celebrates Ta-Nehisi Coates' Between the World and Me with a multi-media performance based on the book.

If any of our readers are up for hitting the Kennedy Center, holler at me. I'm always down for some culture.

20 comments:

Danimal said...

Tiger leading!

rob said...

you guys want to hear me bitch about my weekend plans? cool, cool.

tomorrow morning, my little one has to be at a venue an hour from our house by 7:30 for a cheerleading competition. that means we're probably getting up around 5:45. that sucks.

sunday morning, my older one has to be at a venue 1:15 from our house by 7:00 for a dance competition. that means we're leaving the house at 5:45, which will feel like 4:45 as a result of the daylight savings time change. it also means we're probably getting up at 5:15, which will feel like 4:15. that really sucks.

oh, and next week, my little one has to be at a soccer field an hour from the house at 7:00 for an 8:00 game i have to coach, so we'll be leaving the house around 6:00 am. immediately after the game, we're driving to trenton, nj for another cheerleading competition. the next morning, we'll get up in new jersey and drive back to stafford, va for a 3:00 soccer game. with a little luck, we'll get to see dave and maybe a few other jersey gheorghies. so it'll suck, but a little less so.

kids are mad overrated.

T.J. said...

sounds to me like you shouldn't live in bumblefuck leesburg, pal

rob said...

we'll see how you feel about that with the north koreans nuke dc, my friend.

rob said...

with, when, whichever.

T.J. said...

we're all gonna die, roberto

rob said...

at some point, that's inevitably correct

zman said...

Anyone else have to get their 7-year-old son to the USS Intrepid by 6 pm on Saturday, fully fed, with sleeping bags and toiletries, for Cub Scout activities on the deck of the boat that night, then sleep in the bowels of the boat and get up at oh-five-hundred-hours for breakfast and be out of there by oh-six-hundred-hours?

And it's daylight savings on Sunday too?

TR said...

Fuck all of y’all’s complaining. Half my town is out of power, including me. ETA for its return is next Wednesday.

TR said...

And b/c I’ve been in Texas all week, my wife’s inconveniences have somehow become my fault. My flight home is already delayed. I get to land at 10 PM, take a taxi home, scrape my car, get clean clothes from my freezing cold house, then drive 45 mins to the home where we are staying for the w/e.

Mark said...

It’s a beautiful day in Florida. Sorry about y’alls luck. My wife opened her car door into her face this afternoon and is currently waiting to get a stitch or two in her eyebrow at the urgent care.

In other news, I met Bobbito at the courts inn west 4th in the village a few years back. Not surprisingly, he was really cool. I’m down for the event around his film and the after party if tickets aren’t outrageous. Tj, Rob- want to look into that?

rob said...

alright, tr. you win.

just bought tickets for me and my kid to see childish gambino in dc on 9/19. she's gonna lose her shit. in a good way.

rob said...

the after party is free. the screening is $20. that seems reasonable.

TR said...

I win at eating shit. Sweet.

zman said...

Tiara can always stay with us. We have power.

rob said...

zpower, that is

Mark said...

Let’s make the Bobbito film and after party a summit.

Z- you in? TR, you should really meet me at some point. Whitney- it’s been too long. Marls- let’s get hammered and try and break into Union Station again.

Let’s do this. I’ll gladly ditch my family for a weekend this summer.

Mark said...

So that’s a no? Cool, cool.

TR said...

I pretty much have no life from April thru June. Each of my kids will play rec baseball, travel baseball and travel soccer. I head coach two of those baseball teams. And I try to tend to my full-time job. Weekends are disasters for me.

rob said...

i'm down