Monday, March 05, 2018

House Money

I didn't think the Tribe was going to win last night. Towson had beaten us in five of our previous six meetings, both times this season, and did it by getting in our faces, pushing us around, and bullying us. For as talented as the Tribe obviously is on offense, I didn't see us taking a punch and responding.

I failed to reckon with David Cohn's stones, nor did I expect us to play rock-solid defense, or out-rebound the Tigers. And for all of that, I apologize.

This evening, W&M takes on the CAA's clear best team, regular season tie with Northeastern notwithstanding. Charleston has two first-team all-league players in Grant Riller and Joe Chealey, and a second-teamer in Jarelle Brantley. The Cougars finished 14-4 in league play, led the conference in defensive points/game, defensive shooting percentage, and turnover margin. They're the anti-Tribe.

And a week ago, the Tribe hung 114 on them in Williamsburg.

Earlier in the season, Riller dropped 37 on W&M in Charleston, as the Cougars beat the Tribe, 82-77.

My point, I guess, is that tonight's a crapshoot, and we're playing with house money. And we've got David Cohn. So, out in a blaze of glory it is.

20 comments:

zman said...

Banditos Yankees!

rob said...

the tribe is 18-7 against the spread this season. i did not know that.

Marls said...

Tough sledding for the Tribe having to face the league’s best team in what is effectively a home game for Charleston.

rootsminer said...

I've got a buddy in Charleston who enjoyed watching the Tribe so much yesterday that he bought a ticket for tonight's game too. Plus, team of destiny and all that.

On another note, the son of our Green Leafe closing time buddy, Tyler Mahan Coe, has a great podcast about 20th Century country music called "Cocaine and Rhinestones". Even if you're not a fan of country music, it is riveting.

Whitney said...

¿Bandidos Yanquis?

Squeaky said...

Took the weekend off from technology. Well except for Rocket League and Mario Odyssey on the switch with my son. I'm inland as much of you all know. So we are in good shape. But the coast is still a mess. Looking forward, not really, to the potential of a foot of snow on Wednesday.

TR said...

How many players' stones have you reckoned with, Rob?

zman said...

Squeaky, you should ask JP to text you photos from Plum Island. The erosion is preposterous. His bayside house will be oceanside in no time.

TR said...

I would’ve gone w/ a link to JBJ’s Blaze of Glory, but that’s just me. I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass and a lollipop in my mouth.

zman said...

My wife's in the driveway with an ass in her cock!

rob said...

gotta save something for when they win tonight, tr

Whitney said...

So besides Shlara, who's going to Charleston if the Tribe wins tonight?

zman said...

I'll do the Smurf, the Popeye, and the Jerry Lewis but I'm not going to Charleston.

Whitney said...

Z...
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-jerry-lewis-the-untold-story-of-the-beastie-boys-single-that-never-was-20140807

Squeaky said...

Zman, I've got to grab a beer with him. It's been way too long.

Shlara said...

I've badgered Marls + Rob to go to Charleston too
The flights are cheap
The hotels are affordable and close to the airport and the arena
The only problem is that I don't have any W&M gear to wear

Who else is joining the party?

Marls said...

Game over man.

Shlara said...

Ugh. I have got to stop caring so much about Tribe basketball.

Marls said...

The Charleston band has an accordion. That’s fantastic.

TR said...

I don’t really care about Tribe basketball, but I’m rooting for you clowns to have some success. Sorry folks.