Saturday, November 01, 2014

Week Something or Other Picks!

Another week and another 1-2 performance by yours truly. Well, at least 1-2 in the G:TB betting ledgers. I wisely pulled off my Ole Miss pick in terms of actual wagers and rode with South Carolina and Tennessee plus the points last week so I'm feeling better about my current view of the college football landscape. Cue an 0-3 from me this week to destroy whatever confidence I gained last week.

Arizona +7 at UCLA
Am I excited about the rumors of a possible RichRod-Florida marriage? No, not really. This is a guy that I referred to as DickRod during his time at Michigan. Does any of this have any bearing on my thoughts on this game? No. UCLA is bad. Their offensive line is a total mess and Brett Hundley is nothing more than a better version of Jeff Driskel (good athlete, terrible pocket presence) in my opinion. UCLA has struggled mightily in close road wins over Cal and Colorado the past two weeks. They'll be at home today but I don't think it makes much of a difference. Arizona. Bear Down.

Florida +13 vs. Georgia
(Full Disclosure: The line is down to 10.5 but I bet this on Wednesday) If it's Halloween Weekend that means it's time for the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party. Technically we're not supposed to call it that anymore but we don't play by The Man's "Rules" here at G:TB. We do, however, realize that Florida is a bad, bad football team. Their performance against Missouri two weeks ago was among the most embarrassing I've ever witnessed from a Gator Football team. So why am I taking Florida here? A hunch if I'm being honest. Florida is finally starting a new QB. A true freshman QB but at least it's someone other than Jeff Driskel. You could clearly see the team had lost all confidence in winning with him as their QB and it bled into every phase of the game. I expect an inspired performance today. An inspired performance that results in a loss, of course. But a loss by less than two TDs.

ECU at Temple +7.5
Ive been riding ECU most of the year and they've been good to me. Temple has lost badly on the road each of the past two weeks. So obviously I'm going with the Owls here. ECU's offense is pass heavy. Temple is actually one of the nation's best defenses in terms of pass efficiency. Temple is a dramatically different team on the road than at home. This is like the Florida pick, some analysis involved but more of a hunch. Hootie Hoo! Go Owls!!

Good News: Halloween is over. Bad news: I sent my bride away for 2 days to enjoy some time without kids. Yeah, I know, I'm a great guy. But that said, I've got little time to pontificate this morning. Tball pictures at 8:15. Whaa? Followed by game at 9:00. Gots to get going. Now, rest assured should I get some time throughout my day to fill in the blanks, I shall do so.

Duke +3 at Pittsburgh
This is one of those you should probably bet on Pittsburgh cuz this doesn't make sense to me. Did a key player at Duke injure himself? The line began at Duke -1 early in the week but seriously, I would have taken Duke in this game if they were giving 3-4.
Duke

North Carolina +15 at Miami
Jim Kelly is the honorary captain for The U today. That might mean something if those kids knew who the fuck he was. I'm sticking with another team from my old stomping grounds, the cheaters of North Carolina.

Auburn +2 at Mississippi
Gotta go with Auburn here despite Mississippi's very impressive 6-1-1 ATS record.

61 comments:

rob said...

jmu -2 at home against w&m, danimal. who do you like?

Danimal said...

Rob, no idea but when in doubt, go with the laycocks.

And +13 Florida? That line must be on a gator website.

Mark said...

Nope. That's where the line started. I grabbed it on Wednesday. Dropped as low as +10 now back to +11.

Temple is now +10 by the way.

Danimal said...

Good pick up. I'm with you. I might take uf moneyline for a few small clams.

Mark said...

Best bet in that game was O/U. Started at 51 which is ridiculous. Now at 46.

Penn St-Maryland starting off salty. Scuffle at midfield pregame and the Maryland captains refused to shake hands with PSU during the coin toss.

rob said...

penn state has zero respect for the terps. like a big brother to an annoying little.

rob said...

and james franklin has all kinds of incentive to drub the terps after the way he left college park.

Mark said...

Maryland choosing Edsall over Franklin will haunt that program for years. I wish Florida would throw a ton of cash at Franklin. He'd kill it in Gainesville.

Mark said...

Will Muschamp is 0-7 all time in the Florida-Georgia series (0-4 as a player and 0-3 as a coach). That's worst record in that series of all time and its going to get worse today. At least I can drink.

rob said...

today is arrogant bastard day: http://www.arrogantbastard.com/bastardday/

fitting in lots of ways for team gtb.

rob said...

are we doing team gtb facial hair for movember?

Mark said...

Pitt's kicker's last name is Blewitt. And boy is that appropriate.

Mark said...

I have some arrogant bastard in the wine/beer fridge. I guess today's the day.

mayhugh said...

That game was not extremely fun to watch, and Penn State's offense is poop on a stick, but that's a big win for MD and Edsall. Things are going to get tricky for them over the next couple weeks and they needed a win early in the stretch.

And I don't know how you FL guys do it. The pace of life is so slow down here. I was bagging my own groceries when the cashier called his bagger over, who proceeded to work at about 1/4 speed. And I'm pretty sure it took 7 individuals to prepare my coffee order (incorrectly by the way) at Dunkin Donuts.

rob said...

i like the eagles -51.5 over the all blacks. home crowd makes the difference.

Dave said...

i love arrogant bastard. that stuff works.

lots of hightower commentary! does he do this as a full time job? is there enough rugby to commentate?

rob said...

man, the all blacks are too good.

rob said...

-51.5 is in real trouble.

Mark said...

Mayhugh- you're near Tampa so you should be able to get Cigar City beer. It's a Brewery in Tampa. I especially enjoy Florida Cracker. Drinking one right now.

Mark said...

I must be hallucinating.

TR said...

Question for you FCS pundits - if W&M wins out, do they make the tourney?

rob said...

maybe

Marls said...

We'll never know.

Mark said...

That UGA side is empty.

Hi there, Kelvin Taylor.

rob said...

nice jinx, tr

Mark said...

Oh Fuck Georgia. I'm as happy as I've been in quite some time. I'm also drunk.

Danimal said...

I too am am now happy even though the youngest just shit her pants. She's in bed now....will worry about the pants thing tomorrow. Big win for Muschamp. I really do believe he could eke a year out for himself. I did take gators to win btw. Thank Jesus.

zman said...

zdaughter recently developed the habit of pooping herself twixt the hours of 3 and 4 am. I can't begrudge her the diaper change (she's six months old) but I really want to recalibrate her intestinal clock so that she poops at a more convenient time. Any idea how to do that?

Danimal said...

Z...our three had the same habit until they graduated to hard foods and fewer meals. If the glorious prunes aren't in the diet, you might do so.

Danimal said...

This ole miss auburn game is a good one.

Danimal said...

Those of us with young cheeldren say to those without, enjoy your daylight savings time, we'll be up between 430 and 6.

Danimal said...

Not to mention R-Kansas and MSU.

TR said...

A bit late on this, but the Boz 30 for 30 doc is incredible. I remember those days pretty well. Enjoyable return to that era.

And Ole Miss is showing some heart. I wouldn't have been surprised if they got trucked, considering how bad that loss was.

Danimal said...

Had what I thought was a tweener left in my bottle of Black Bush. Made the decision to pour the entirety. Isn't really close to a tweener.

Danimal said...

I almost forgot. How 'bout those JMU DUKES?

Danimal said...

I understand the difficulties of preparing and defending Navy's option, but Rutgers, Western Kentucky, and Air Force did so. Jesus h.

TR said...

Another apparent brutal lists for the Rebs.

TR said...

Lists, loss, whatever.

rob said...

english translation, please?

Mark said...

Ole Miss is done. That about right, TR?

rob said...

gonna be down to the tide to keep auburn out of the playoff, then? fucking auburn. luckiest team in america over the past two years.

rob said...

so that's a no on the team gtb movember facial hair thing, then?

Danimal said...

Rob...there is a difference between "who do you like" and "would you like to make a wager on the JMU WM game?" C'mon man.

rob said...

i realize that, danimal. just talking a little smack amongst friends. but still, you should've anticipated a wagering opportunity. you could have a bottle of ron z headed your way.

rob said...

wizards on pace to win 54.

rob said...

someone at adidas greenlighted (graylighted?) these ucla uniforms. in other news, job opening at adidas.

Mark said...

Rob- You excited for Jeff Driskel as a Red Sox prospect?

Danimal said...

If Mark would have asked me the question, sure. You? Not so much. But now I know your code. Got it.

Danimal said...

Oh my on the ucla uniforms.

rob said...

dan, if there's a terrible bet to be made, rest assured that i stand ready to take the wrong side.

rob said...

mark, he can't be worse as a baseball player than he is as a big time college quarterback. we'll take him.

rob said...

worst part of the evening for mark is that muschamp might keep his job.

zman said...

UCLA's uniforms look like Louisville's from Thursday. I don't understand why schools want to switch away from their traditional colors for battleship gray.

zman said...

Arizona's rainbow sleeves are odd too.

Danimal said...

I made a bet w a uf buddy of mine this past summer while boozing at the us open. we have a yearly bet on the over/under of both nd and uf. I threw In a kicker. If uf goes 8-4, Muschamp gets shitcanned.

For those nd people that were bitching about their ranking last week, and I wasn't one of them, this should quiet them.

zman said...

Chris Rock just said "titties" on NBC. Is that kosher?

Mark said...

Muschamp will find a way to get fired. Ill take the win over UGA. I hate UGA.

Rumor is that Driskek would've been a 2nd or 3rd round pick if he'd have played baseball as a senior. Might as well give it a shot at this point.

I really like Lousiville's unis but I'm a sucker for grey. I can't endorse those UCLA joints though.

zman said...

Looks like Prince uses the same visual effects as Thomas the Train circa 1995.

Mark said...

Whenever I see Prince do something I always assume what he's doing is way cooler than anything ill do or plan on doing in the near future.

That guitar riff being a perfect example. WOW.

Dave said...

hey! gheorghies!

Danimal said...

since the topic of facial hair is out there, for you shark tank watchers and beard enthusiasts, there's a guy schlepping beard products on this past week's show. BEARDBRAND