Saturday, November 22, 2014

Week Are We Almost Done With This Picking Thing?

Yeah - not gonna lie to ya - I won't be sad when we are done with this weekly assignment. I motion for 2 games per week in 2015. All in favor?
As I was sitting here on the couch beginning at 545 am thanks to our youngest who just has to get up and into our bed at about 515, I realized after having put the computer away that not only had I not produced my picks but I hadn't a clue on this week's matchups other than knowing it was a crap week - the worst, by far this year.


Boston College +17 at Florida State
Mark is correct, betting against FSU each and every week would prove profitable. They are targets. They are in many eyes, numero uno. They have that Heisman guy as their QB. BC has had a week off after losing to Louisville at home by 19. Is Florida State looking ahead to next week's game against in-state rival Florida? Could THIS be the week FSU finally stumbles and is shocked by the far less talented catholic fellas from the Northeast? It's highly unlikely but they'll cover.
Boston College


Missouri +3.5 at Tennessee
At 8-2 with a head scratching loss to Indiana, Missouri heads to Knoxville for the game of the day. At 5-5 Tennessee is fighting for its life and bowl eligibility. Should be an interesting one. For more insight and analysis on this one, give me a call today and I'll walk you through it.
Tennessee


Louisville +3 at Notre Dame.
Ahhhh fuck it. The implosion that is happening before our eyes in South Bend brings joy to many and literal madness to others. Why on earth would anyone bet against a "trend" of turning the ball over more than 3 times per game over the last 7 and simply not assume that trend is a habit, learned behavior that for whatever reason is impossible to alter for this team and more specifically their QB? Faith, I guess. Do you know this line started at -9? Touchdown Jesus H. Now, it would be very surprising if Louisville hasn't watched the tapes of the last month+ to learn how to score a shit ton of points against the Irish. I'm sure they did, but with adjustments and coaching of the young'uns that have had to fill in for the wounded, along with a W in the turnover battle, ND wins handily.
Irish


Mark is working today. Sucks to be him. Here are his picks.


Eastern Kentucky +30.5 at Florida
Finally, our long statewide nightmare is over. Will Muschamp is no longer the Head Coach of Florida Football. Well, technically he still is for another week but he's not coming back and, maybe, Florida will hire a coach who doesn't treat offense like the proverbial red headed step child. I think the Gators rally around Muschamp and give FSU a game next week. This week though? I expect a sloppy unfocused effort. Florida probably won't lose to EKU like they did to Georgia Southern in this spot last year but they're not winning by 4+ TDs. EKU.
Stanford at Cal +5.5



One of the more underrated rivalries in America. Also the rivalry with the dumbest, unoriginal name. The Big Game? Really? With all the smart, creative thinkers these two schools produce and that's the best they can do? Anyway, Cal's been better than expected this year and especially tough at home while Stanford is an anemic offensive outfit with a very average QB. Golden Bears cover and maybe even get a win.


Missouri at Tennessee -3.5
Missouri has killed me this year. I've missed the mark on them 5 times this season so it makes sense that I'm running it back one more time today. Because, you see, I'm not very smart or particularly good at learning from mistakes. The insertion of Josh Dobbs has changed the Volunteer offense and energized the fanbase. Missouri is playing for the SEC East title but they won't be able to pull out a late road victory (as has been there M.O. this year) in Knoxville. Get ready to hear 'Rocky Top' approximately 130 times tonight as the Vols win.



28 comments:

Mark said...

Nice formatting. Blogger still a double digit favorite over Danimal.

Mark said...

I may have underestimated just how bad EKU is.

Marls said...

In Ann Arbor to see the nephew play hockey tonight. Taking in the football game because, why not?

First observation, Maryland fans are donks...to use the Teej's parlence.

Shlara said...

Tribe v Spiders got a shout out on Game Day today
Marls--stop by the 826 Robot store in AA
And visit Vinology

Mark said...

I'm 'working' by sitting at a booth at an Indian MD event so I watching CFB on my iPad. Things could be worse.

Mark said...

EKU receiver flagged for taunting penalty for chomping after TD catch. Except the pass was ruled incomplete on review. Still penalized though. The Colonels, they are bad.

Marls said...

My father went to EKU after getting expelled from Siena. He is a donk too.

rob said...

virginia tech and wake scoreless late in the 3rd. that sounds awesome.

Danimal said...

Formatting problems.
I saw that Wake score on my phone and said to myself, "self, that has to be a glitch". Broo Tale. Brutal.
If they lose to Wake, the Fire Beamer whispers will turn into..ummm, louder whispers.

rob said...

0vertime

rootsminer said...

Just came home from errands and a cd of Meatloaf was playing on the stereo of my empty house. This feels ominous.

Danimal said...

Fuckin florida state.
Mark, your Gators are going to beat them next week. They are.

TR said...

More ominous than you know, Rootsy. Stay tuned...

Mark said...

Danimal- I've been thinking about how Zook went into Doak and beat FSU in his last game at Florida since Muschamp was canned last Sunday. I would piss myself in joy if Muschamp repeated the feat.

Mark said...

I have financial reasons to root for Tennessee and now I hate myself.

TR said...

Raise your cyberhand if you had Toronto and Washington as your top two seeds in the East.

rob said...

my daughter loves soccer, but she's an average travel player, at best. this evening, though, in the waning moments of a tournament match, Witt the score tied at 2, she beat two defenders and slotted home her first-ever travel goal. i damn near shed tears of joy. and she was over the moon. awesome dad moment. even better kid moment.

zman said...

zson made such a collossal mess with his toys and puzzles that I considered shoveling it all into the garbage and making him sleep in the garage. It was nothing like rob's kid's goal. It was in fact the opposite.

zman said...

The mess also included several of zdaughter's toys pacifiers and bibs; all the magnets photos etc from our fridge; random lacrosse balls and baseballs that he either found in the park or stole from a neighbor's yard; and innumerable rocks.

zman said...

Is it just me or does Richmond use an inordinately large font for their nameplates?

Mark said...

Rob- that's awesome. My stepdaughter is a pretty average atete. She scored 4 goals in a lacrosse game a couple weeks ago and it was really, really cool. I couldn't have been more happy for another person at that moment.

Zman- my daughter is an animal. We call her the beast. I've been there. Not awesome. I keep reeling myself she's slated for future athletic greatness. That's doubtful but it helps.

Mark said...

Autocorrect is a motherfucker. I think you guys can piece it together though.

Mark said...

It's down to LSU and UCLA for major/historic CFB programs with the worst helmet logos.

rob said...

finally catching up on the events of the day. what in the hell happened to ole miss?

rob said...

tribe held on to beat rice, 69-65. decent road win for the good guys. football squad, unfortunately, less successful.

rootsminer said...

Consider me teased regarding the ominousness of Meatloaf,TR. Perhaps only because I can't imagine Mr. Loaf being on your top 10, so that probably means there's a TR rant coming.

TR said...

Patience, young Skywalker.

Cops need to stop killing black people. Awful story from NYC tonight.

rob said...

tribe hoops improve to 3-1, and marcus thornton has yet to play even a half-way decent game. couple of should-win home games against western illinois and wofford before a good road test at spidey on 12/3.