Thursday, October 31, 2013

Indulgence

My youngest daughter is nine years old. She's seen the Red Sox win three World Series championships. My grandfather is 94. He's seen the Red Sox win three World Series championships.

The day after the Sox clinched the 2004 World Series, I wrote this on the late, not-really-lamented Misery Loves Company, "Somewhere, Charlie Brown is smoking a cigarette, the Little Red-Haired Girl's head nestled against his shoulder as they lay in the afterglow of beautiful cartoon lovemaking. Lucy's sitting outside wondering how the hell he kicked that ball so far."

Forgive that purple prose - I was pretty damn over the moon. 2013 is necessarily different than 2004's once in a lifetime fortnight, but my jump off the couch after Koji Uehara struck out Matt Carpenter wasn't a whole lot different.

I said last night that 2004 team will always occupy a place of honor in my personal sporting pantheon. But the 2013 squad is close second. Hirsute goofballery both served to tighten the bonds of teamwork and mask (pun only minimally intended) a very resolute, disciplined, and professional group of ballplayers.

Ten years ago, I couldn't imagine saying this, but Sox fans are a pretty goddamn blessed bunch.


24 comments:

Mark said...

Back to the Connors 30 for 30. I vaguely remember his run at the 91 US Open as I was just getting into tennis at the time. They focus heavily on his match with Krickstein in it and there are some very interesting personal angles to the match and its aftermath. I encourage you to watch it.

TR- they included Connors calling the Umpire a "total abortion" not once but twice. That generated a hearty guffaw in my living room. Greg used to use that line regularly and I've yet to tire of it. Seriously though, Connors is a prick.

TR said...

"Total abortion" is a bit of a redundant phrase, right?

Mark said...

Redundantly awesome.

zman said...

Not if you're in Nebraska. Terrible partial birth abortion reference on my part.

Clarence said...

Connors also had the worst haircut on the circuit. Not so much by '91, but back in the 70's and 80's his page boy dipshit 'do was perfect for that dick.

Squeaky said...

Halloween, rap and ghosts ...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gregreese/the-ghost-on-a-stick-goas-worldwide-project?ref=

Sorry the song will be stuck in your head all day.

Conners always seemed like a huge dickhead to me. F him. Ghost on a Stick! Ya'll.

rob said...

my neighbor made a point this morning of telling me that he thinks i look like jay carney. in the sense that we're both white guys with brown hair and glasses who occasionally wear red sox hats, i guess i can see it.

zman said...

Could be worse. You could be accused of looking like Drew Carey.

Mark said...

Who told women that dressing as a cat for Halloween was a good idea? It's the worst idea.

rob said...

what about dressing as a sexy cat?

Mark said...

There's nothing sexy about dressing as a cat.

zman said...

To the gentleman who just passed by my seat on the train and farted, fuck you kind sir, fuck you. 'Twas not TR, parenthetically.

rob said...

michelle pfeiffer, halle berry, and anne hathaway beg to differ, mark.

Mark said...

You let me know when you see a cat costume for Halloween that looks anything like what those women wore, Rob.

Danimal said...

i'm actually wearing one right now.

prrrrr

zman said...

Eartha Kitt too.

Mark said...

Saw a woman getting a sobriety test on the side of the road today at 1:45 pm. Happy Halloween!

T.J. said...

the bar is the basement of our work building has been holding a Law School-sponsored Halloween party since 8am today

amazingly, I have yet to set foot in the place

Clarence said...

I've seen 25 women dressed as cats today. Some are very sexy. One of them told me it makes you think of pussy, which adds to the appeal.

Shlara said...

Several people in the SFO airport are in Halloween gear. The creepiest: a middle-aged dumpy dude in a blues clues like furry dog suit.

zman said...

Was he showing any sideboob?

Mark said...

Just returned from trick or treating on a street in our town that most kids go to. Nearly every house has parents & friends sitting and handing out candy while drinking. I saw quite a few drunk or getting close to drunk parents tonight. Interesting dynamic.

rob said...

you were in clarence's neighborhood?

Clarence said...

That is, in fact, what goes on here.