Saturday, November 17, 2007

Peas in a Pod

The headline "Report: A-Rod plan to go around Boras came from Buffett" has some in the sporting world shaking their heads, but in actuality, this was far from a case of strange bedfellows. The only thing shocking was that it didn't happen earlier.

Consider this:
- A-Rod came of age in Miami; Buffett lives in Key West.
- Long ago, back when he was great, A-Rod played the shortstop position; long ago, back when he was great, Buffett sang, "I rounded first never thought of the worst / As I studied the shortstop's position."
- Buffett wrote "A Pirate Looks at Forty"; many consider A-Rod 's deal, one that will keep him in pinstripes until after he's 40, utter piracy.
- Buffett sang "Something So Feminine About a Mandolin"; 'nuff said.
- A-Rod is a me-first kind of guy who makes teammates bristle; Buffett's overinflated ego irked his bandmates and made longtime Coral Reefers like Fingers Taylor quit the band.
- During Buffett's September 2004 concert at Fenway Park, he paused between songs to try to break the "curse"; A-Rod's 2-for-17 in the last four games of that year's ALCS was similarly helpful to the Sox cause.
- Buffett's die-hard fans are called "Parrot-Heads"; A-Rod's . . . wait, does A-Rod have any?
- We've had some things -- and one more thing -- to say about A-Rod; I penned a lengthy record review of a Buffett album several years back that was just as damning.
- Buffett broke his leg sliding into second in the 70's; A-Rod . . . well, I'll let you watch the 2008 season in suspense.

As you can see, this was clearly a very natural fit. I don't see what all the head-scratching is all about.

21 comments:

T.J. said...

Kudos to my brother, who told me yesterday morning Siena was going to upset #20 Stanford at the Knickerbocker Arena today (OK, so it's called he Pepsi Arena now, but that name blows). It was Siena's first win over a ranked opponent in 18 years.

rob said...

didn't siena lose to james madison?

rob said...

also, a-rod is the son of a son of a tailor, which is relevant here.

T.J. said...

Yes they did, which means come March JMU can claim a non-conference win over the MAAC champ.

Rob, nice performance by the Crimson Tide today.

Bye bye Oklahoma.

T.J. said...

Memo to Bob Davie: I don't care if Matt Ryan throws for 400 yards in the second half, he will not be "climbing back into the Heisman race".

T.J. said...

OK, so I too was just impressed by Ryan's TD pass with 1:46 to go, but he did not just "vault to the top" of the Heisman list. Tebow, Daniels, Reesing...maybe Ryan after that.

rob said...

tough day for the caa - odu, wilmington, and vcu all lose to beatable major/mid-major opponents (clemson, illinois state, arkansas, respectively.)

at least teejay's happy.

rob said...

i guess whit can go back to hating tom glavine now. i'd put this nugget on that other blog, but whit doesn't seem to want to acknowledge his first-born.

T.J. said...

When the Pats play the Jets in a few weeks, they will not punt once, and will score at least 60. Book it.

Whitney said...

Oddly enough, I don't have any ill will towards Glavine on a personal level. Something about the misplaced venom of many fans and writers that bugs me. Of course, once he resumes his spot in the Braves' rotation, I'll wish the worst for him.

I'll have more to say about this on MLC... someday.

T.J. said...

I return from Vegas, and that god awful song is back on the radio again...

"It's Christmas Eve in Washington...and my voice grates on you..."

Jim said...

It was Warren Buffett not Jimmy who told A-Fraud to skip out on Boras. See: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7452506 for the whole story

T.J. said...

OK, um, wow, I not even sure what to do with that last comment. Whit, you want to take a shot at this?

rob said...

i'm not sure how we're gonna recover from a mistake of this magnitude. whit - how about running this stuff past an editor next time?

rob said...

turns out "jim" is a sox fan, too, and posted a similar comment on the buffett message board. i'm at a bit of a loss here.

Greg said...

Wow...when I started reading the story, all I could think of was, "Warren doesn't live in Key West...."

Whitney said...

I can't believe Jim Rome commented on Gheorghe!!

T.J. said...

Well played sir.

rob said...

once again, greg's first instinct is to defend the ultrarich.

Geoff said...

Jim just called me on my cell to let me know that it is pronounced "buff-ette" and not "buff-ay" as he feared when we read this piece and the subsequent comments we would be mispronouncing it in our heads. Thanks Jim!

Jerry said...

I hate Tom Glavine's guts.

Who's the blog-contrarian now?