Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Madness of King Gheorghe: South Regional

This thing has been giving me fits for days...I have no clue who is making the Final Four....

First Round

1 Ohio St vs. 16 C Conn St
Ohio St. I hope Gus Johnson is doing this game just so he can retell the "made-for-TV" story of Javier Mohica. You couldn't make that one up. The other Blue Devils are gonna lose this game by 25, but at least you can watch Howie Dickenman work the sidelines. What a sweaty mess he is.

8 BYU vs. 9 Xavier
BYU. Come on, they have Ainge's kid on the team. And the head coach even runs his nephew out there. I think very little of the A-10, have all year, so there is no way I can pick Xavier. Plus, I don't really care if Xavier/OSU in Round 2 would give us a coach/mentor game. Thad Matta bores me to tears.

5 Tennessee vs. 12 L Beach St
Tennessee. I really wanted to pick Long Beach so I could roll the Snoop video, but I've gotta go with the SEC's Herb Tarlek, Bruce Pearl, and sharpshooter Chris Lofton in this one. I might like Tennessee a tad to much (you'll see below).

4 Virginia vs. 13 Albany
Albany. Of course I'm taking the Great Danes. I think UVA is overrated, and if I'm not picking Long Beach I'm definitely talking Sm-Albany. Jamar Wilson is a 2,000 point scorer who is averaging 18 ppg, 6 rpg and 5 apg on the season. Go Danes.

6 Louisville vs. 11 Stanford
Stanford. If you have twins who grow to be 7 footers, they must attend Stanford. Brook and Robin Lopez are the PAC-10's answer to Tomax and Xamot (Brook is the good one). Plus, I think a Louisville team that has shown no ability to play defense late or hold leads is ripe for a first round upset.

3 Texas A&M vs. 14 Penn
A&M. Who's got the biggest balls of them all? Acie Law IV of course. Best clutch player in the country right now. A year ago, I was flabbergasted these guys even made the Dance. Today, I am pumping them as THE team to beat in this regional. Roll that AC/DC "Big Balls" clip...damn YouTube. How can that song/video not be on there?

7 Nevada vs. 10 Creighton
Nevada. Aside from VCU, I was touting Nevada early, and despite some late season stumbles I still think Nick Fazekas and the Wolf Pack can cause some damage. Dana Altman's bunch is always a tough out, and this is the game I am least certain about. Fazekas gets help from junior PG Ramon Session and Marcelus Kemp, so Nevada is the pick. Plus, I get to roll this Neil Diamond clip in honor of injured Nevada guard Kyle Shiloh...

2 Memphis vs. 15 N Texas
Memphis. They haven't lost since December, but then again, they play in Conference USA, a league that is so bereft of talent that I don't think a single team other than Memphis made the postseason (quick, where is my NIT bracket). Calipari doesn't pay these guys for nothing.

Second Round
1 Ohio St vs. 8 BYU
OSU. Oden has a triple-double. BYU is sacrificed.

5 Tennessee vs. 13 Albany
Tennessee. A valiant effort by the Great Danes is shot down by another terrific Vols performance from behind the arc. Bruce Pearl wears orange kimono for game.

3 Texas A&M vs. 11 Stanford
Texas A&M. Team of destiny. Lopez boys are neutralized by underrated bigs of A&M, Joseph Jones and Antanas Kavaliauskas.

2 Memphis vs. 7 Nevada
Memphis. The athleticism of Memphis is simply too much for Nevada.

Regional Semifinals
1 Ohio St vs. 5 Tennessee
Tennessee. They almost beat OSU two months ago in Columbus, and I say they get it done this time around. Chris Lofton and the gunning Smith boys (JaJuan and Ramar) knock Mike Conley Jr. and Greg Oden out of the madness.

2 Memphis vs. 3 Texas A&M
Texas A&M. Have I mentioned the set of brass cajones on Mr. Law? Memphis finally faces a real opponent, and they lose. Not their fault, but they simply do not get enough quality tune-ups before March.

Regional Final
5 Tennessee vs. 3 Texas A&M
Texas A&M. That's right folks, Acie and Company are going to the Final IV.

10 comments:

T.J. said...

And so it begins...

T.J. said...

Uh oh, Stanford didn't get the memo.

T.J. said...

Dell Curry's kid is determined to beat Maryland by himself.

The Drizzle said...

Stanford has once again reminded me never to pick a team that you know to suck balls to pull an upset in the first round "just because."

T.J. said...

Adios Bob Knight...BC advances.

Hey Stanford, excellent work. You have made Cuse, Drexel and K State fans ever more bitter, if that is possible.

T.J. said...

GW/Vandy is the tweener game today, with the 4:40 West Coast tip...that sucks, I wanted to see that game.

rob said...

man, it seems apparent that i suck donkey balls at prognosticating. 1-3 thus far, with a notable ass-reaming for gw at the hands of vandy. really didn't see that coming. fortunately i was 18 holes and 6 beers deep at the time.

and i really care more about this vcu/duke game than i should - i'm preparing to be extremely bitter when the rams go down and leave the caa 0-4 on the postseason.

rob said...

paulus is tiiiiiired and it's still the first half. hmmmmmmmm.

rob said...

paulus played his tail off, but maynor's unbelievable in the endgame. i think vcu's constant, unyielding pressure and pace was the difference - that was a gassed duke team down the stretch.

Geoff said...

When Duke is bad, it seems you can always point to Krzyzewski's refusal to go deep into his bench. Even when they have had a rock solid top 7 in recent years, Coach K has often elected to tire them out instead of going to his 8 and 9 players. I think it's his only major flaw, and I also think it may have cost them a couple of titles.