Saturday, October 30, 2021

A Low-Bar Start, Maybe

I offer advice occasionally. It’s usually confined to “Try the fish tacos,” or “Make left turns at traffic lights during tourist season when possible if you want to limit driving headaches.” 

Sometimes it’s a little weightier. In exchanges with my college-age nephews about navigating campus and everyday life, I suggested as a starting point for words and actions: don’t be a dick. It was partly in jest, and they were amused, but I tried to persuade them of its value. 

It’s simple. It’s easy to remember. Most of us are aware of what’s considered dick-ish behavior, so it’s suppressing an urge or act we already know. There’s no heavy lifting, as inaction is always easier than action. 

Don’t berate a waitress or cashier who’s already overworked and underpaid. Don’t hit ‘send’ with a pithy remark that dunks on someone whose mind you won’t change anyway. Don’t make fun of someone who dresses and looks differently. Don’t speed up to flip off someone who cut you off in traffic. Don’t show off your new whatchamacallit among people who can’t even afford old whatchamacallits. 

I’ve come to think that the notion has even greater value in our increasingly stressed and polarized society. The pandemic and its partners, social isolation and financial anxiety, have extracted real tolls. We’re quicker to criticize and slower to empathize. We’re less likely to engage with folks outside of our tribes and silos, and too often scornful of them when we do. 

DBAD is an entry-level life slogan. For example, What Would Jesus Do entails some thought, conclusions about how he might behave, or biblical knowledge that a person may not possess. DBAD doesn’t require you to be a saint, or even a good person. It might be a building block for charitable or selfless acts. Or not. It’s a baseline for civil behavior, which may be the best we can hope for these days. DBAD might work as a rubber bracelet reminder, a la WWJD or LiveStrong. 

I have no entrepreneurial tendencies, nor the means to execute such things. However, if one or more of you runs with the idea and makes a bunch of money, good on you. If in so doing you want to send a few bucks this way in gratitude, it would be much appreciated. After all, fish tacos ain’t free.

20 comments:

Whitney said...

OBX Dave for governor. So good.

And whatchamacallit is my favorite candy bar

Mark said...

I was feeling pretty good about Florida-Georgia with 2:35 left in the first half. And then the wheels fell off in a way I’ve never seen as a Gator fan. Might be the worst 2(ish) minutes in Florida Football history.

rob said...

from when my daughters were probably too young for this to be appropriate, i've told them that the first russell commandment is 'don't be an asshole'. dbad works equally well.

rob said...

despite the shitshow at regionals, my kidlet was named first team all-region cheer. she's unimpressed, so i'll brag on her behalf.

Danimal said...

As you should Rob. That is some good shit right there.

That 2 min in the UF game I have still yet to see. Had I gotten a wager in, it would have been on the Gators so I guess that's a win for the wallet.
UGA not losing this year.

Mark said...

UGA’s defense is early Saban Alabama era dominant. Unfortunately, the offense is pretty similar to that same era of Alabama football as well. I won’t take them to win it all.

OBX dave said...

Hey Mark, agree with Georgia assessment. Feels like Kirby has a 2012 'Bama vibe, that they can get away with traditional, paint-by-numbers offense given that he has historic defense. May not work against 'Bama or Ohio State.

Danimal said...

Looks like a market has been made. Let gtb figure the wager.

TR said...

First off, I love love love this post. One of the big advancements in my life was factoring in the DBAD approach to life. I used to seethe at situations beyond my control, fester on avenging wrongs I believed were foisted upon me and air grievances frequently. I learned to let a lot of that shit slide. I became perfectly content with the notion that some people would like me and some wouldn't. I can judge and dislike people internally and compartmentalize that. I had none of those skills in my college days, as most of you know.

Second point - my sneaky NCAAF hot take has been that OSU will become a factor in the title race again. I think they will emerge from the Big 10 bloodbath. And I do think UGA is special.

rootsminer said...

I can get get behind #DBAD.

Congrats to TR on NBAD, and also being man enough to point out his sweaty lederhosen crotch to his soon to be neighbors.

Juan Carlos said...

Before I went to college my uncle said to me, "Don't be one of those nerds throwing a frisbee".

That would be harder to put on a rubber bracelet.

Mark said...


In Halloween related news, my kid has the weirdest costumes. She always just makes some shit up. Last year she was a demon/devil thing that was cool but you couldn't actually name exactly what it was. This year...well... I just asked her what she was and she couldn't tell me. She's got an all body suit that's neon green. She's going to do a bunch of facepaint. I'm sure it will look cool (it always does) but the kid never has a standard costume.

Danimal said...

Halloween on Sundays should be illegal. And Mon thru Wed for that matter. I know we have this conversation ever year but apparently not enough to foster real change.

Danimal said...

Pardon me for the typos

Mark said...

Correct. Halloween should only be on Friday or Saturday.

Whitney said...

They’ll change that right after Super Bowl Saturday.

Whitney said...

2021, the year when every third costumed group of adults you see is Ted Lasso

Mark said...

Added a tattoo tear to this year’s Jack-O-Lantern. Happy with my decision.

TR said...

Can you be Wally Pipp’d if you’re only six games into your career? Asking for Zach Wilson.

rob said...

little one dressed as a slutty among us character this evening. it was ironically funny. i think.