Thursday, May 27, 2021

The Very Sad Caterpillar

If you've raised kids, or were a kid yourself any time in the past 45 years, you might've felt a disturbance in the force yesterday. Eric Carle, author of the beautifully poignant The Very Hungry Caterpillar, passed away yesterday at the age of 91.

Two years ago, Carle talked about the book on the 50th anniversary of its release.


"I think it is a book of hope," Carle says in the video above. "Children need hope."

He would know. He was not quite a teenager when his family moved back to his parents' native Germany from his birthplace of Syracuse, NY, just in time for World War II. His father was imprisoned in Russian POW camp after being drafted to fight for the Nazis, leading to a time of deprivation for his family. You can hear the traces of his lineage in his accent. 



Carle returned to America after the war and served in the U.S. military during Korea, interrupting a career as an illustrator. He didn't publish his first book until he was nearly 40, but eventually illustrated more than 70 bright, whimsical, hopeful kids' books. Of the books I read my kids when they were young, Carle's were my favorite. Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?, 1, 2, 3 to the Zoo, The Very Quiet Cricket, The Mixed-Up Chameleon, Mister Seahorse, brilliant all. Even today, his work is my go-to gift for new parents.

RIP to a real one. May heaven be a collage of joyous color.

7 comments:

rootsminer said...

Eric Carle > Eric Clapton. His books were always favorites in our home.

We had a couple move next door almost two years ago. Their son was born on the day they moved in. He's now a nearly two year old little wild man who is constantly making discoveries. Observing him is a nice diversion from the teen angst that permeates our household.

Whitney said...

Where does Eric Carmen fit into that continuum?
Eric Cartman?

Mark said...

To Rob’s point in the last post about the jazz uniform/court combo: The uniforms are some of the best city editions that Nike has done. And as I’ve stated here before, I own a number of city edition shorts. For some stupid reason though Nike has not made those shorts available. Not pleased, I am.

Mark said...

I mean...you can buy a Jazz city edition golf bag! But not the basketball shorts. This makes no sense.

rob said...

ja's comin' out. he wants the world to know. gonna let it show.

zman said...

Carmen Electra > Eric Carmen

TR said...

When I think oF Eric Carle’s books, I remember reading to my kids when they were tiny. Was the highlight of my day. Now they stare at iPads and hide from me.