Saturday, May 08, 2021

Daily Constitutional, Agate Version

There are a number of studies that suggest that regular morning exercise has significant health benefits. People who get their sweat on in the early hours boost their metabolism, tend to sleep better, and even have increased mental clarity and attention span.

During the pandemic, and especially since we bought a Peloton bike in August, I've made a regular habit of working out before I start my professional day. Anecdotally, I do believe I'm more alert and in a more positive frame of mind on days I exercise. And I'm almost certainly more fit today than I was before the beginning of the pandemic, despite a noteworthy increase in my alcohol intake.

Recently, though, I've found a different early-day stimulant that makes me sweat and definitely elevates my heart rate, even though I do it sitting down. And like many things over the past 30 years, I blame Dave.

The New York Times crossword is an iconic part of American newspaper history. It's been a daily feature of the Grey Lady since 1950. Editor Will Shortz is a bit of a geek idol, appearing in The Simpsons, How I Met Your Mother, and Brooklyn Nine-Nine among many others.

Sometime in the past few years, the Times published an app that added a small version of the crossword they called the Mini. And some time shortly after that, Dave turned it into a competition.

I first learned of the Mini at last year's OBFT when Dave lamented that zman was routinely the fastest at completing the Mini. Dave can beat his local friends most days, but it's a rare occasion when he tops zman. Then Whitney joined in, and he usually edges Dave, as well. 

I resisted, because I'm a reformed hyper-competitive loon. Mostly.

And then, about a month ago, I downloaded the app and started a new form of daily exercise. 

The Mini is usually a 5x5 puzzle, except on Saturdays, when the creators stretch their muscles, figuring we've got a little more time on our hands. A really excellent solver can rip through the Mini in under 25 seconds. My best time is 29 seconds, but I'm generally happy when I keep it under 45. And when I beat Dave.

And therein lies the rub. I usually do the Mini first thing when I sit down to my desk to work. Even before I open the app, my heart rate increases along with my stress levels. As I work the puzzle, my pulse hammers in my head. When I'm struggling, which happens on occasion (took me six minutes to finish a few weeks ago because I had complete brainlock), I start to sweat, first at my temples. When I finish, I check the leaderboard. 

Which zman typically sits atop, lording down upon us mortals. I've had the best time on a handful of occasions, which is a good way to start the day. Whitney's probably the second-fastest Gheorghie, a fact that I'm certain infuriates Dave, which gives me more pleasure than it should.

Marls started playing along recently, but that dude has a three year-old, so he's forgiven for not getting time to play the Mini every day. 

I'd encourage the rest of you to join in, but I think it's actually not all that good for my health. So if you want to play, do it with your eyes open. The NYT Mini is a dangerous thing.

35 comments:

zman said...

I agree with all of this. I can't say enough good things about my Peloton. I have to help get two kids ready in the morning so I often don't get around to using it until after 5 pm but even then it's a great way to relieve stress. That, coupled with reducing my booze intake to essentially zero, allowed me to shed about 10 pounds while still eating complete garbage.

The mini is tons of fun. Just approach it calmly with a clear mind and type in the first thing you think of. You'll be fine. Unless you're Dave, and the first thing you think of is some insanely obscure but still correct fact, in which case you're screwed. Dave is too smart for the mini.

I've started doing the NYT spelling bee. I find it harder than the mini but there's no clock so no stress. At first I wasn't great but now I'm routinely getting "Amazing" ratings with a few "Genius" ratings mixed in. Give it a whirl.

TR said...

I want to read all of this, but I’m too distraught about the news of Tawny Kitaen’s passing. The flags in Bonertown will fly at half mast all weekend.

Mark said...

I’ve been a morning workout person for over a decade. It started after I hurt my neck years ago and wasn’t sleeping well while also having early morning PT sessions. I can’t imagine going back to regular afternoon workouts now. It’s so nice .to have it done and out of the way. Most weekdays I’m at the gym by 6:15. Sucks getting up some days but always worth it once I’m done.

I suck at crossword puzzles but maybe the mini is a good way for me to start. Spelling is more my style. I’m a really good speller. Too bad that’s a useless skill in this day and age.

Whitney said...

Indeed, TR. RIP to the former Mrs. David Coverdale and Mrs. Chuck Finley.

TR said...

I remember watching Witchboard solely b/c she showed her boobies. She was great in Bachelor Party. Maybe not great, but competent and sexy.

Mark said...

My former teammate Rob Burke had been hired as the new head coach at Chowan University where he’ll coach on the court named after his Father. Pretty fucking cool if you ask me. Looks like I’ll be traveling back for a game in the next year or two.

T.J. said...

Hello from yankee stadium. First time in 15 months we have remotely done anything like this. It’s cold and drizzly and fuck it having a blast out in the world

TR said...

Weather sucks in the Bronx, but you got yourself a good one. Kluber and Scherzer are dealing.

zman said...

Speaking of Peloton, I did a 30 minute hiphop ride with Tunde today. Not only did she kicked my ass, Common was on the ride too. He did not high-five me back, perhaps because he was too busy doubling my output.

Mark said...

My wife does many Tunde rides. I hate cycling but broke down a few months ago and got a pair of shoes (Nike has great peloton compatible shoes) so that I can get in some extra cardio workouts whilst watching sports or movies.

It is not cold and drizzly here today. It’s in the upper 80s without a cloud in the sky. About to chill by the pool.

Whitney said...

JMU has fought the good fight but seems like they won’t advance.

rob said...

had a phenomenal lunch at a little greek joint in richmond today. i'm coming around to the notion that greek food is the king of all foods. give me some time to contemplate.

Mark said...

Indian food makes a strong counter argument.

rootsminer said...

I had some bomb Cuban food tonight that would like a word.

I just moved my office, and lost my bike commute I’ve done nearly daily for the past 12+ years. New spot is 2 miles and downhill from home. Old spot was 4 miles and quite rigorous. Contemplating becoming a pre work gym goer once I’m not taking kids to school.

I’ve recently come to terms with my idiotic views on hip hop in the 90s, (they aren’t ‘playing instruments’). Been digging into it the last few weeks and realize what a tool I was. Im lucky zman didn’t kill me.

zman said...

It's ok rootsy, you have other endearing charms.

I think Mediterranean food in general is pretty great--Greece, Spain, France, Italy, Lebanon, Morocco all have some amazing food. And I wrote a whole travelogue about the amazing food in Japan, you should read it sometime.

Mark said...

Rootsy- you should send Z and I what you’ve been listening to and digging and we can put you on to other good stuff. 90s hip hop contains multitudes.

My father in law comes from the Amalfi coast so his Italian food is more Mediterranean and I’ll agree with Z on the greatness of that style of food. If I’m being honest though, I take it for granted after 15 years of living with the chefs daughter.

TR said...

I just watched the A&E biography on Roddy Piper. It was fantastic. Search it and DVR it.

rob said...

i had indian for dinner. there's a united nations committee meeting happening in my belly.

TR said...

Having visited Greece, I can see the argument for it, if the concept of a sustainable diet is a factor. Fresh veggies, feta, olive oil, lamb, chicken and fish work for me. I love Indian (curry especially), but it’s not something I could do regularly. I love Spanish food, but it might be too heavy regularly. Japanese food could be an option.

Dave said...

yeah motherfuckers! i'm atop the leaderboard today . . . for now. zman and rob have yet to tackle today's puzzle. i edged out whitney and stacey and my son's smart friend gary. my mood for the day is definitely determined by how high on the leaderboard i am on the mini (although exercise also helps)

zman said...

Good job today Dave.

rootsminer said...

Perhaps today should be a day to celebrate Dave's accomplishment. It's not needed to observed anything else, is it?

Dave said...

godammit.

rob said...

zman with the shaaaade

Whitney said...

Rob, did you get a phone call in the middle of the mini?

TR said...

Two more baseball wins in between the rain drops. We won 18-5 y/day and 20-1 today. Juggernaut stuff in NJ.

Mark said...

I think you nerds need a mini slack channel

Whitney said...

Bob Baffert. Whoops a daisy.

Marls said...

5 failed drug tests in a year does not seem like a “whoops”. Seems more like Arod & Ortiz.

Mark said...

I’m with Marlin. Passing a drug test isn’t THAT hard. I’ve managed to do it multiple times this year.

Mark said...

Also, Julius Randle is a fucking stud.

TR said...

Yeah, Randle has been great to watch. He finally got a good coach. This Knicks run has come w/o Mitchell Robinson. Noel has been a sneaky great contributor. Knicks should try to lock up Randle this off-season and get a decent PG.

TR said...

And this may be a good time for all you folks on the East Coast to fill your tanks. We could see a refined products shortage soon.

rob said...

because of the colonial thing?

TR said...

Yes - Colonial is not exactly exuding confidence about the duration of the outage. NYC area can get imports easier than you Delmarva folks. This could get interesting.

And the second Pfizer shot I took y/day is kicking my ass.