Saturday, May 15, 2021

Stepping In It, Unintentionally

A small story about inadvertently offending a group of people, reading comprehension, and coming juuuust short of being called a racist. 

In my previous life as a daily newspaper sports typist, I periodically wrote columns. Opinion pieces, supplemental pieces about topics and events, pieces that permitted more expressive leeway than straight reporting. Some were better, and better received, than others. This is about one of the “others.” 

After Virginia fired basketball coach Pete Gillen in 2005, to the joy and relief of a sizeable section of Cavalier fandom, I wrote a column that cautioned against thinking that the next hire would be automatically successful. I had a conversation with a coach about job vacancies and replacements, and he said that there’s no reason to think athletic directors get it right when hiring new coaches. They don’t hire coaches in marquee sports very often, he said, so it’s not a regular exercise. External pressure from boosters and influencers often complicates the process. 

Pete can't believe you wrote that,
Dave
With an increasing number of athletic administrators coming from business and not athletic backgrounds, they may not be equipped to gauge how well a candidate can build relationships and a successful culture, or how well they may fit at a specific school. Even the best athletic directors whiff now and then, he said. I paraphrased several of his points and wrote a disclaimer that these weren’t original thoughts, that someone smarter than me floated them. I wrote that it shouldn’t be a surprise, since regular readers know that several species of canine and the entire student body at such-and-such local middle school are smarter than me. I wrapped up the column and sent it to the copy desk. No questions or complaints. 

The next morning, I took phone calls from torqued off teachers and parents from said middle school, blasting me for comparing their students to dogs. I was dumbfounded. My responses were mostly along the lines of: That’s not what I wrote; I was poking fun at myself; go back and re-read the segment. They were having none of it. The fact that I mentioned dogs and their students in the same sentence meant I was comparing them. Did I not know how harmful and hurtful that was? 

Then came a curveball from one teacher: Was I aware that said middle school is predominantly African-American? No, I was not. Apparently, I should have known. So, I wrote that the entire student body of a predominantly African-American middle school was smarter than me, right? Nope, because I mentioned dogs in the same sentence, which meant that I was saying those Black kids were no smarter than dogs. I also got a call from, if memory serves, the school’s assistant principal, repeating in very measured and sober tones all of the same criticisms. I told him, too, that’s not what I wrote, go back and read the segment. There was no intent to belittle kids, and for what logical reason would a sports column about college coaching changes do so? 

Willful or not, he insisted that I did. He accused me, in so many words, of being ignorant of and insensitive to the Black community. I asked if he was aware of me and had read any of my work through the years. He said that he had not. I said, as an educator and administrator, wouldn’t you advise your students and colleagues not to draw conclusions based on just one small piece of information? 

Long pause. 

I’ve known people like you, he said. Really? And what are people like me? They pass themselves off as good people, he said, but they aren’t aware of how their words and actions affect others. Their prejudices are just below the surface and become evident. They help reinforce stereotypes. I said, that’s quite the leap, given that you don’t know me at all. 

I told him, we’re gonna have to agree to disagree. Bottom line, they wanted a retraction. They wanted an apology. I gave them neither. I had a conversation with my editor, who fielded a couple of calls himself. Did he think I belittled kids? No, he said, but they think you did; could all of them be wrong?

Yep, I told him. I honestly don’t recall how the mess was resolved. I have a vague recollection that someone above me wrote a half-disclaimer, half-explanation and apologized for my wording, but that there was no ill intent. I continued to write columns, and colleagues gave me gas about bullying kids and suggested sensitivity training. 

I saw the coach whose ideas I cribbed a week or so later. I asked him at the time if he minded if I used them anonymously. Sure, he said. 

He asked how the column turned out. I told him what I wrote and how it got me in trouble with the middle school folks. You’re kidding, he said, in disbelief. At least both of us were callous douchebags.

I’m certain that some stuff I wrote and said 15 or 20 years ago – or last week – was insensitive or lacked awareness. The landscape today is even more fraught, a minefield of potential aggrievement about anything beyond the idea that puppies are adorable. The lesson, I guess, in all of it is to communicate clearly and without ambiguity. 

Keep the wiseassery to a minimum in broader audiences. If possible, ask friends and trusted colleagues their opinions before you deliver a message. And sometimes, don’t hit the ‘send’ button, and keep it to yourself. You’ll probably sacrifice clicks and eyeballs and attention, but you’ll save yourself some grief. Unless DGAF is your stock in trade.

19 comments:

rootsminer said...

I imagine it took some restraint to not snarkily offer the angry teacher a correction - that you may in fact be smarter than his students, since their teacher isn't great with context.

zman said...

Over the years I've presented many training sessions on how to write business emails. The key take-home-message is "How would you feel if these statements appeared in the newspaper?" Of course, I've never given this presentation to anyone who actually writes for a newspaper. I would have to revise my message for that audience.

With that preamble, there are some things you shouldn't say even if the dictionary or proper English language sentence construction says it's ok. To wit:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/daily/jan99/district27.htm

rob said...

i had leicester to win and kelechi iheanacho to score the first goal at +1410. sooooo close.

rob said...

hey, guys! big gulps, huh?

OBX dave said...

Hey Z, I vaguely recall the incident you linked in the Post piece. Man, it's easy to get in trouble if you aren't careful with language and unaware of your audience.

There's a Roth novel about similar circumstances, The Human Stain, where a college professor makes an offhand remark about absent students, wondering if they're "spooks" -- as in ghostly -- that gets him accused of racism by Black students. He winds up having to resign and his life gets turned upside down. Plot twist I won't reveal.

zman said...

That’s a good book! I forgot about the “spook” thread to the story.

rob said...

my daughter has a new beau. he makes his living playing in a band that tours regionally and working in a brewpub. so that seems cool. gonna have to get to know him better before i ask whether he plans to go to college.

rootsminer said...

If he's a bona fide suitor, I hope he has a plan for making a living. The white hot ambition needed to make music a good career may make one a less than ideal partner.

rob said...

i will quiz him at length in the coming weeks.

OBX dave said...

Rob, do you trust your daughter's judgment in affairs of the heart? Good track record?

rob said...

she had a long-time boyfriend in high school who was a really good kid. we loved him. this is the first semi-serious thing she’s had since she went away to college. so not a big sample, but she’s done pretty well to date.

rob said...

if you didn’t catch the end of today’s liverpool/west brom match, i insist you find the highlights.

TR said...

Greetings from Denver, where there is just about zero housing inventory. My kids think it’s funny to drop a deuce in a house during an open house. I sorta do too. And in a dumb milestone that only amuses me, my two sons’ collective weight now exceeds mine.

As my house sale closing date approaches, my joy in getting a very strong price is fading, and my trepidation about proving out the theory buyer’s dilemma is growing.

zman said...

He’s bona fide. He got a ring. A big one. It’s bona fide.

Mark said...

Went to Gainesville this weekend with another family to check out a baseball game at the brand new stadium Florida built for its baseball team. A good time was had by all, even my wife who doesn’t care for sports. Yet another successful weekend of indoctrination for me with my child in my efforts TK make her a Gator. Now I have to make sure she’s a much better student than me.

rob said...

tr, i'll be in denver in mid-june with the fam. you think you'll be a colorado resident at that point?

and if you care, the lad's band has a couple of videos online at https://graffitisoundstage.com/video. he's the lead singer.

TR said...

I will not be a Coloradan by then, but the fam and I are coming out again to maybe find a house b/w 6/18-6/23. That work w/ your schedule?

Danimal said...

I too will find myself in Denver in a month - albeit briefly and only the airport. June 22 - 25 - flying in and heading to Aspen for 2 nights. Could find myself in Denver Wed eve though.

Can't imagine having to buy a house right now. Our neighborhood which just recently became fully occupied/bought out (new neighborhood w/new construction), houses are fetching 10-15% over ask, sight unseen. And compared to a year ago, the listing prices are roughly 30% higher. Most of these buyers are from the Northeast - NJ, NY, PA.

Danimal said...

At a neighbor's on Saturday, an impromptu Rye tasting broke out resulting in an exceptional hangover yesterday and one dented up golf cart (I was not the culprit).

Seven or so Rye's were tasted along with a unique rum bottled in Fernandina Beach. Included were all of the Whistle Pigs - Boss Hog too. All pretty renowned, pricey, well thought of.

The unanimous winner was Michter's - the $50 bottle. Today's hot tip.