Sunday, November 01, 2020

More zShazams!

I wrote about my Shazams in January.  Here are a few more gems I've Shazammed since then. 

Public Enemy did a "Fight the Power 2020" remix?  With Nas and Black Thought?  How did I miss this?  "Fear of a Black Planet" still slaps in its entirety, and "Fight the Power" does so in particular.


Go vote!

"In Orbit" by Joy Lovejoy is just fun classic soul.


I feel like I should already know "Big White Cloud" by John Cale.  rootsy is shaking his head that I had to Shazam this.


I also feel like I should know "Revolution" by Heartless Bastards.  Whitney is shaking his head too.



Bill Landford And The Landfordaires don't look like I expected them to.  "Run On For A Long Time" has a very O Brother Where Art Thou vibe.


If they ever remade High Fidelity, "Light Yearly" by the Allah-Las would work its way onto the soundtrack.


I suspect rob is already familiar with Nikki Lane's "Jackpot."


rob should know about "Cat Squirrel" too.


I suspect Juan Carlos is already familiar with "Friendship (Is A Small Boat In A Storm)" by Chicano Batman.  


"The Grunt" by Eddie Kirk makes me want to dive into Fortune Records' entire catalog.


I was stunned to hear "Nightmares" by Dana Dane at 8:43 am on a Tuesday.  Word up doc, I'm the ultimate!

I encourage you to post your Shazams too.  Music!  Postcount!

12 comments:

rob said...

not familiar with nikki lane's work, but i do know chicano batman. they're a siriusxmu staple.

Whitney said...

Awesome recurring segment.

rootsminer said...

Doctor Ross track is bangin'. I used to see a cat in DC named Robert Lighthouse, a Swedish guy who got lost in American blues. He did a lot of Dr. Ross tunes. I haven't hear this one before.

Whitney said...

I had not heard that new Heartless Bastards song. I had thought they were broken up as such because Erika Wennerstrom had a solo album out a couple of years ago and I saw her open for... I don’t remember who. But it’s cool.

My favorite track of theirs remains 2008’s “The Mountain.” So good.

rootsminer said...

I finished listening to all of these tunes, and have two conclusions.

1. Zman's musical taste buds remain vibrant.

2. 96.9% or more of these tunes were previously unknown to gheorgies.

I think I might have heard the Bill and the Landfordaires track (which is classic black gospel quartet harmony; The Soggy Bottom Boys weren't up to this kind of harmony, except, maybe...the fella that plays the guitar.

TR said...

Hot damn! It’s the Soggy Bottom Boys!

Love that movie.

Squeaky said...

Sounds like the Gheorghies had a great weekend. Catching up on posts/comments. Kenny, you are correct on the OH and Veil collab. Very impressive. Hope the TH was good as well.

Anyone else happy that Cam keeps f-ing the Pats?

Z, what station are you pulling these Shazam's from?

zman said...

Mostly WFMU and WBGO, but also WFUV and WKCR when the signal is strong enough. Felix Hernandez's Rhythm Review is on Saturday mornings on WBGO, mostly vintage soul and funk. WFMU plays strong stuff all the time but I make it a point to tune in Fool's Paradise at 1 pm on Saturday. Wake n Bake with Clay Pigeon is a good drive-time show. They also have some online-only streams going all day.

In other news, zson's covid test came back and he doesn't have it. Does that mean he passed or failed the test?

zman said...

My go-to Boston station was WERS.

Whitney said...

Listening to WERS now. Reminds me of WXPN. And they just gave a weather report. Freezing up there. Mark and Danny Boy have it figured out.

TR said...

This Gheorghie did not have such a great w/e. Saturday was spent field-prepping and baseball coaching in 40 degree weather. I spent five hours outside y/day watching both my kids lose football games (half of that was in pouring rain). Then I drove one kid to a basketball tryout, only to have him come out in tears afterwards b/c the pressure was too much. After that, I grilled in the rain, washed dishes and watched awful football.

And I now have a cold. Fun times.

Squeaky said...

TR, that sucks. The pressure put on kids sports these days is out of control. Thankfully, I'm out of that crazy spin cycle. My son 'retired' from soccer last fall which freed me from volunteering to coach and helping with field management. His sport of choice is now tennis, which means no field maintenance and indoor play when the weather sucks.

Hopefully the scotch/whiskey/bourbon was flowing this weekend to warm the extremities back up.