Friday, July 05, 2019

Where in the World was zman? Part 1

It's been a hell of a twelve day run for your boy from the Neck. I will regale you with tales of my comings and goings over the next few days.

Two Fridays ago I had to go into Manhattan for a hearing which went about as well as I realistically could've hoped--if the hearing was an at-bat we hit a double. The hearing ended around 1:30 pm and counsel took me out for lunch at The Odeon where I had the grilled Eden Brook trout with quinoa. It was delicious. As luck would have it, I already had dinner plans in the city with a guy I used to work with. But that wasn't until 6:00 pm so I had about 3 hours to kill. Naturally, I headed to a bar, Monk McGinn's, to drink beer and watch college baseball. The trout wasn't soaking up much alcohol and I was worried that the freight train of fun might jump the track so at some point I ordered the crispy duck spring rolls. They were good. Much like Tom T. Hall, beer makes me a jolly good fellow and I was in great spirits when my friend showed up.



We drank for a little while more and headed over to Marc Forgione where we got the Chili Lobster appetizer and I got the swordfish with asparagus. My friend is into "mixology" so we drank from the cocktail menu. I got home late, drunk and full of seafood. It was a good night.

The next day we had reservations at Sushi Nakazawa, arguably the best sushi restaurant in Manhattan. It even has a Michelin star. The reservation is a pain in the ass to get--it isn't as difficult as it used to be but to be safe for a Saturday reservation you have to make it online at midnight 30 days before the date you want. Part of the hubbub stems from the fact that the head chef (Daisuke Nakazawa) was a sous chef at Sukiyabashi Jiro which is owned and operated by Jiro Ono, arguably the best sushi chef in the world. They made a documentary about Ono-san called "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" which you can find on Netflix. Nakazawa-san appears around 0:39 and 1:38



As you can see at 1:38, Nakazawa-san has trouble perfecting one particular egg-based dish. He fails over and over throughout the movie. Finally, after months of practice, Ono-san tastes what Nakazawa-san made and said it was acceptable, prompting Nakazawa-san to sob like Michael Jordan when he won the title in 1996. This is the final item Nakazawa-san serves everyone at his restaurant. I didn't have a bite of food that was anything less than outstanding. My favorite was the cuttlefish with Japanese mint which is second from the right.


The following Monday I was supposed to go to Richmond to see Jason Isbell and Father John Misty with Whit but I bailed for two reasons. First, zwoman scheduled the demolition of our kitchen counter for Tuesday and she wanted me there to make sure everything went according to plan. Second, I also had to pack and do a bunch of other stuff on Tuesday for a trip on Wednesday, which I'll cover in later posts. The trip was too important for me to half-ass the preparation, and I was worried I wouldn't have enough time to drive home Tuesday morning, likely all hungover, and pack in the afternoon/evening. Sorry Whit, but it was sons before bros this time.

As luck would have it, FOGTB Hoopie was in Manhattan on Monday night and I knew that even if I was all hungover on Tuesday I would at least wake up at home so I went out with him and fellow FOGTB Juan Carlos. We drank a bunch of beer, then went to Jongro, my favorite Korean BBQ spot. We ordered too much food and drank a bunch of beer and shochu.


Then we went over to the bar at the Ace Hotel and continued to drink boulevardiers and screw up their turntable. For the record, if you're going to put a turntable on the bar, where customers can access it, along with a stack of records, you shouldn't be surprised if a drunken music fan takes matters into his own hands. A good time was had by all and when I woke up the next morning zwoman told me that the entire second floor of zhouse smelled like a distillery.

Then on Tuesday I packed. Like me, the counter guy bailed. Demo date is still TBD.

Stay tuned for further installments later this week.

54 comments:

Marls said...

Your need for a $4k toilet all makes sense now.

rob said...

zcontent is the best

rob said...

i learned last night while watching baseball that braves' shortstop dansby swanson is dating uswnt winger mallory pugh. 'mallory pugh?', i thought to myself, 'the cute but really little-girl looking 19 year-old? that seems odd'. then i googled the dansby/mal ship. and it turns out mallory pugh looks a lot different off the field than she does on. and swanson has been on a tear during the women's world cup, inspired by his girlfriend. love is a many-splendored thing. good for you kids.

rob said...

turns out she's 21. but still.

rob said...

my brother-in-law is a pretty mellow dude, and he's fairly conflict averse. my mother-in-law thinks it's hot in the house if the temp is above 68, and she's not opposed to changing the temperature settings in houses that don't belong to her. it's one of the litany of her endearing qualities.

my wife just texted me from my brother-in-law's lake house to tell me that he installed digital thermostats, and put a password on them so nobody other than he can change the temp setting. that's some passive-aggressive brilliance, and i'm here for it.

zman said...

Everyone needs a Toto washlet toilet, the rest of you just don't know it yet. And it was only $3300.

Danimal said...

Weird. Was listening to a replay Stern interview w Chris Stapleton today. They spent a few minutes talking about their toto's. Howard has 3 in his house. Chris, 2. I can tell ya I could have used one as recently as 7 minutes ago.

Danimal said...

Z....are you familiar w Cliff Drysdale? You must be. I ask bc we are essentially co-workers he and I. He's a pretty cool cat, and I guess he could play a little tennis in his day.

rob said...

he was a great announcer, too. please to be explaining you are co-workers, d-train.

Marls said...

Cliff calling the Australian Open in late January is must listen TV in the Marls household. Added bonus of a little Mary Jo Fernandez who still brings it at 47.

zman said...

I do know who Cliff Drysdale is. I bet he could teach Dave how to fix is two-handed backhand.

Danimal said...

Cliff and another gent, Don Henderson, started a tennis mgt company some time ago. It's very similar to ours, but for tennis - clubs and resorts outsource them to run that space. It's called....wait for it....Cliff Drysdale Tennis! Our parent, or technically the Private Equity group behind our parent, purchased CDT last year. Cliff and Don were at our company conference this past May out in Scootsdale. Cliff was a keynote speaker...pretty good as you might guess. Good stories. He has oodles of connections as you might imagine. I did play golf with his main guy Don though, good old chap.
Cliff can still play apparently - he and our CEO play when they get together and he tells me he is still strong to very strong.
Cliff still announces btw and is doing so now.
Now Ya Know

Danimal said...

www.cliffdrysdale.com

Danimal said...

You had no idea how happenin I am did ya Rob?

Danimal said...

"outsource TO them"

Whitney said...

his main guy Don Drysdale?

Danimal said...

No. It's Henderson, just like I typed. I almost typed "Adams" though on accident. But instead I got smart.

Danimal said...

not gonna lie to ya....may have had my first beverage at about 830 yesterday a.m. through a round of gaaalf, respiting (new word) for a few hours before evening activities at a pal's house. someone was kind enough to supply the host with a huge bottle of eagle rare. 'twas beautiful...a magnum sized bottle of which much of ended up in my system.

Whitney said...

Morris or Pierre?

Danimal said...

spot on!

Danimal said...

Z...ever tell ya I spent 69 days in Korea? True. And did I fall in love w/Korean bbq?! You bet your ass I did, and the food in general. That pic is legit. Makes me want some right now. If I ever come to NY, that is where we must go. Please put that in the Zfile.

rob said...

oh, i have an idea of how happenin', danimal.

TR said...

Danimal is so happenin’ that he pulled strings two years in a row to enhance my golf experience at Sea Island. Was first one teeing off on the course today, at 730 AM. Finished my round before 1015 AM. I’m gonna remember the par and two bogies over my last four holes, and not on the ~100 swings before that.

Was lined up w/ the fam outside Southern Soul by 1115 AM. It is a gem of a BBQ place. Got the three meat sampler platter. Ate all of it and washed it down w/ two Bud Light drafts I ordered for myself at the same time. One kid asked me to chug them. Mom wasn’t impressed. But I’ll be damned if a yellow American beer isn’t as refreshing as it gets after 18 holes, especially when it’s paired with three pounds of smoked pork parts. Diet can wait until Monday.

TR said...

Forgot to add that the entire family has been in a food coma since noon. Got cloudy here so we retreated to the room and banged out three episodes is Stranger Things Season Three. It’s good! Still trying to decide if I think Ethan Hawke’s daughter is cute. Leaning yes /c she probably looks better when not wearing a sailor suit.

zman said...

I'm always down for Jongro Danimal, challah at me next time you're in NYC and we'll eat too much beef and pork.

rob said...

as y'all know, i'm a major hophead, and i don't drink very much lighter-style beer. but it's hot as fuck in these parts right now, and i was in the mood the other day for something less than 7.5% abv. saw narragansett's del's shandy at wegmans and grabbed a sixer of tallboys to support fogtb crooksie. damned if that didn't hit the spot on a sweltering afternoon.

zman said...

It's hard to find but few beers beat Tusker on a sweltering day.

rob said...

i have had a tusker with the kenyan ambassador the u.s. true story.

Mark said...

My wife loves the Narragansett Shandy. She’s not a big beer person but that’s her go to beach beer.

Zman recommended Jongro to me a couple years back and I heeded his advice. It’s tremendous. I’ll be back in NYC in November and I’m gonna do my best to get a reservation at that sushi place.

Did I mention why I’ll be in NYC? Because my wife and her friends decided they want to do a live Peloton class. That fucking bike is going to put me in the poor house. But at least I’ll get to eat some great food and ditch my kids for a weekend.

Mark said...

Coco Gauff is from Delray Beach? I love her even more now. Delray might be the best town in south Florida.

zman said...

I know I said Teedge should drive a green SM but doo-doo brown is the second best option for him.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-citroen-sm-17/

T.J. said...

I’m in.

On that car...and the NYC Korean BBQ

Shlara said...

Jongro was on my block when I lived in NYC

Mark said...

Like most parents of a (relatively) young child, my wife and I don’t get a ton of nights to ourselves. Until this week, the 7 year old has had a sleepover 2 of the past three nights with a Bizzaro 4th of July party sandwiched in between. Going out to eat and drink with no responsibilities is still pretty great!

With that said, we’ve been home and on the couch all three nights before 9:30. Because, old.

TR said...

Mark - send November NYC details as they emerge. I am underwhelming in person (and on-line), but would be good to figure out a time to meet. We can do karaoke!!! Or not.

Mark said...

I’m not generally a karaoke guy but I had a great time in Koreatown at a legit karaoke spot a few years back (You’ll be shocked to learn that Greg was involved). And, I’ve never partied with an oil futures celebrity, so you’re on TR.

Mark said...

Everyone is still in shock over the Kawhi-Paul George transaction, huh?

rob said...

it’s too fucking hot to comment

T.J. said...

Props to the dude at our pool wearing the Bel Air Academy #14 Smith tank top shirsey

TR said...

Is shirsey a word? If the jersey had flames on it, could we call it a Mike Shirsey?

rob said...

first mini dog summit with marls this evening at a local farm brewery. much excitement from the kids and ladies in our general area.

rob said...

hear me now and believe me later: some of the most powerful men in the world are connected to the jeffrey epstein pedophile sex ring. whether or not we find out how deep the rot goes will be something to watch.

zman said...

Your comments got dark in a hurry.

rob said...

yes, in retrospect, i should've ramped up to that, rather than going plaid from a standing start. my bad.

Danimal said...

No doubt Rob...I am thinking at least one past President and possibly a current, not to mention a few others. Going to be a great movie one day. If only Phil Hartman were still alive.

rob said...

nancy pelosi's daughter just tweeted that some of our 'faves' on both sides are 'likely' implicated. she's, as one might imagine, a pretty connected person. not hard to read between the lines here. it's gonna get disgusting, and i hope all the truth comes out.

Mark said...

I follow Billy Corben and Alfred Spellman of Rankontur Films (Cocaine Cowboys, The U, Square Grouper among other Florida centric docs). They’re Florida/Miami natives and a great source of news for this supremely fucked up state (lots of quality news links and retweets). They’ve been all over the Epstein case.

It’s so beyond fucked up. What’s possibly worse is how few people know or care about it. I like to think I’m pretty well informed especially with regard to my home state and I’d never even been aware of it until the past year.

rob said...

pour some out for joao gilberto, who's now free to chill with the girl from ipanema for all eternity

TR said...

Gawker (and its successor Jezebel) were always all over the story this decade. Was written with a “look what this billionaire asshole got away with” tone. Folks knew, but unlike the R Kelly story, there was a court decision in place already. So was hard to turn reporting into much.

The problem w/ this story is that many victims likely had a bad life after these events. The defense will make them all out to be addicts and liars and money-hungry folks. And Dershowitz is such a piece of ass that it will be hard to believe he had to pay young girls.

Mark said...

As someone just pointed out on Twitter, Epstein’s arrest by the FBI tonight highlights the value of the press. If not for dogged reporting by the Miami Herald, this miscarriage of justice never comes back to light.

Mark said...

Bigger piece of ass: Dershowitz or TR?

rob said...

tr has much better hair. dershowitz's savannah-themed tattoo is more expansive. it's a pick 'em.

Mark said...

Once TR gets his Sea Island themed sleeve that’ll push him over the top.

T.J. said...

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS