Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Twelve Years a Dad

In April 2007, my wife and I went on a "babymoon" vacation before the birth of our first son. She was five months pregnant. We had no idea how ill-prepared we were for what lied ahead. But we knew that the vacation was a "last hurrah" before parenthood. We went to the Yucatan peninsula. We had a minor scare (googling the phrase "second trimester spotting" on the PC of a third world hotel is suboptimal), but ended up having a good time at Playa del Carmen and Isla Mujeres. I drank more tequila than necessary, and enjoyed a few Cubans. And some cigars too. Hey-oh!

In the years since 2007, we lost our last two remaining parents. And we have no siblings near us to babysit. So any adult time away came after paying for an overnight sitter. And that was not cheap. So we didn't do any adult traveling. Which sucked quite a bit!

But a light at the end of our adult vacation purgatory is emerging. It is sleepaway camp. Several years ago, we found out from a dad in town about a YMCA camp in the foothills of the Berkshires (western Massachusetts), near where some of us (including a very rural version of Rootsy) celebrated Dr J's wedding many years ago. I vaguely remember we ended that night doing diving football catches into a hotel pool and passing a bottle of Southern Comfort. And I think Rootsy started a hootenanny late night. I vomited the next day, seconds after exiting a train at Grand Central Station, amid a throng of young folks attending a Brazilian Day parade in Manhattan. That was fun for everybody.

Anyhoo, the camp is a values-based camp that is a pretty amazing place. Kids go for four weeks at a time, generally from the summer after third grade through the summer after eighth grade. After that, there are volunteer/travel opportunities and counselor gigs that are no joke. We know a neighbor/former camper who finished his freshman year in high school this year. He is now in Vietnam, doing a volunteer/travel program. Hopefully he hasn't seen Full Metal Jacket.

So where was I? My eldest is starting his third year at camp this year. He has become a fishing whiz who does improv acting and ultimate frisbee and got an elite badge by swimming over a mile across the lake. All these things came out of the blue. Which is awesome. That's camp. Try something new. Put yourself out there. Have fun. He has camp buddies from Boston, NY, California and other areas.

The camp is really quite cool. The link to the camp is here and there is a touching video below that makes my wife feel like there's dust in her eyes.



His experience has my younger kid fired up for camp. He will go for the first time this year. Life experience, fishing, camping, values, yadda, yadda, yadda.

But here's the rub - my wife and I will soon be empty-nesters for four weeks! It's the first time since 2007, starting Sunday July 21st. I had plans to eat cheese on my couch in my underwear, but the missus has other ideas.

So after we spend ~36 hours missing them, we will shoot down to Charleston for several days of adult activities: tourism, BBQ, booze, fine dining, sweating, relaxing by a pool, relaxing on a beach, booze, BBQ, sweat, rinse, repeat.


Charleston emerged b/c of the food scene. More specifically, I have been infatuated with the BBQ scene there. I have been itching to visit Rodney Scott's BBQ joint, which is just a mile away from town. Rodney Scott is a legend in the BBQ world. And I am irrationally excited to go there and eat the hell out of his offerings. I'm more of a pork loyalist with my BBQ, and he cooks the whole damn hog. He also won a James Beard award! That is impressive, but I don't exactly know why.


We also plan to do a day trip to Kiawah. And my wife is itching to do a trip to Columbia, SC, where she attended college her freshman year. I'm not up for that, but can use it as leverage for more BBQ. I'm looking at you, John Lewis BBQ. Any guy that worked at Franklin's in Austin and then moved to Charleston to sell that town on Texas style BBQ is worth paying attention to.


So be prepared for gluttonous comments from me next week. My wife and I have had a long run without some time to ourselves. The best we had in the past was kid camp on vacations when the kids were very young, but that's a distant memory. I have no idea if we will enjoy each other's company, but we'll enjoy the solitude. At least until my gas kicks in.

13 comments:

Squeaky said...

TR, we have several families in town that send their kids to that camp. I can't remember which families in town send their kids but we were talking about this specific camp about two-three weeks ago at summer BBQ. Very small world. It's on the list for potential camps next summer for son.

Enjoy all the BBQ in SC.

rootsminer said...

Enjoy the trip TR. I recommend The Darling Oyster Bar as good dining option if Tiara gets sick of the BBQ. Went there a few years ago on a boys trip before a good friend's second wedding. We had a chef of some reknown with us, and he kept the table humming with a vast array of delicious items. It's a really good, unpretentious spot.

TR said...

I will add that spot to my list, Rootsy. Thx for the rec. The list of recs is pretty long. Folks like to eat in that town.

rootsminer said...

It's a good food town. I'd like to pop into The Darling right now, have some oysters and wash them down with a $2 pony high life. Damn, now I'm hungry.

zman said...

Charleston allegedly has more restaurants per capita than Manhattan. It also has a very cool aquarium, I think it's the largest freshwater aquarium in the US. I realize that learning isn't cool or fratty but if you get a rainy day the aquarium is something fun to do.

rootsminer said...

I'd suggest we jam that guy, but perhaps the curious streak is what keeps the good content rolling off zfingers.

TR said...

I don’t care if Darryl Hannah from Splash is there, I ain’t going to an aquarium sans kids. I’ll jam myself first.

zman said...

You're missing out!

https://scaquarium.org/aquariumforadults/

And you're going to miss Shark Week, which starts July 27. I guess it isn't a freshwater aquarium.

zman said...

The BMW 1600 cabriolet's lines are clean as hell, it's a personal fave. Unfortunately it isn't anyone's WCSAGD but that shouldn't stop you from bidding.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-bmw-1600-cabriolet/

Mark said...

As I was reading this post I was ready to recommend John Lewis BBQ. TR has his BBQ shit together though. I’d add Husk to your Charleston list though. It might be the best restaurant in Charleston. The chef from Husk and Bourdain got hammered for basically an entire episode of No Reservations.

We’re on a family vacation for the next few days. Hung out on the beach in New smyrna all day today. Going to eat at a ridiculous restaurant (Garlic) tonight. Then up to meet the rest of my family (13 more people) at the Hammock Beach resort near Palm Coast for the summer extended weekend.

Plenty of beach, pool and booze in my immediate future. Not all that different from my average summer weekend but doing so in a different locale is nice.

TR said...

We have a rezzy at Husk! Zimmern did a whole season of his Netflix show w/ the chef.

Mark said...

Nice work, TR. The garlic was fantastic. Highly recommended if you’re ever in New Smyrna. Which, itself, is a highly underrated Florida beach town.

My 7 year old discovered calamari tonight. That kid can eat.

Whitney said...

zwatching:

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-to-watch-the-c8-chevrolet-corvette-reveal-ton-1836488437