Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Hope Springas Eternal

Several of us are approaching a time in modern life commonly expressed in negative terms. Midlife crisis seems so harsh, really. Richard Ford talked about "the existence period" in Independence Day, as protagonist Frank Bascombe moved through his mid-40s in "the condition of honest independence" following a divorce and reordering of his life. I always found that a little melancholy, to be honest.

No, we need something else for our not-yet-but-we-can-see-it-from-here-over-the-hill gang. A modest proposal from me, then. In the spirit of youth being wasted on the young, I call for a reimagining of social norms. I call, my friends, for adult rumspringa. Or as Whitney knows it, life. Apparently it will involve karaoke.

I'm still working on the details, so I could use a little help. Our bodies can't take the fast life like they used to, so we probably need to limit the duration of our sabbatical from the real world. Amish kids get two years. We don't really need that much.

So let's say we get a 90-day break from the real world.

Our companies have to give us our jobs when we return, but they don't have to pay us while we're away. While I'm still waiting to hear any of the candidates in tonight's Democratic Presidential debate mention it, this seems like an excellent opportunity for the Federal Government to test Universal Basic Income for middle-aged people. We could take an advance on our Social Security to finance our alternate reality. The Gheorgheverse ranks among the generally fortunate, from a socio-economic perspective, so we've got to figure out how to make this public policy work for everyone, or it's one more privilege that we'll need to check.

Airlines and other travel entities will offer discounted fares for springers. (That's what they'll call us. I'm working on it.) Those of us that are married or in relationships can bring our significant others with us. It's not The Purge, you jerks. And we're not looking to sew wild oats, just mild oats.

Like the spring breaks of our youth, there will likely be concentrations of springers in warm, laid-back places, but they'll have better accommodations - Japanese toilets, for example. And we won't have to sleep 2-3 per bed, unless we choose to do so.

The bands of our youth will have permanent gigs. Hell, Whit and I just saw Elvis Costello and Blondie, and they still sound good. For the metalhead set, Bang Tango and Faster Pussycat are still touring. Just bring earplugs.

We're so much better at eating now than we were then, so the food had better be good. But not too rich. Maybe a plant-based springer package, then.

Reading back through my thoughtfully constructed proposal, I realize that I've basically described a very pleasant, if short, retirement. Ah, fuck it. If you can't say it, you can't do it.

Did I mention that springer haunts will play the movies of our adolescence.

37 comments:

TR said...

No Curtis Armstrong hashtag?

zman said...

And Medicare for all!

rob said...

disappointing hashtag effort by the author

Squeaky said...

One of the software vendors we partner with has a mandatory 90 day sabbatical that has to be taken after your seventh year of employment with them. This should be part of the HR package for every company.

Dave said...

i do this every summer.

mr kq said...

All time sleeper underrated side 1 of an LP list? I nominate Supertramp Breakfast in America. You guys were 9. Or 7. Give it a go on a sweet hi fidelity system. Fairbanks is with me.

Whitney? Talk to me Goose

Whitney said...

Love that album. Title track is also underrated. Gone Hollywood is a classic and the only song I know that mentions Taco Bell. Other times are played heavily but hold up well.

zman said...

What is joe3030?

TR said...

John Lewis just liked my Instagram post about his restaurant. So that’s kinda cool.

T.J. said...

Mr. KQ - just toured Principality Stadium in Cardiff. It was fucking awesome.
And bought some Welsh Rugby Union swag.

TR said...

Anybody know where I can find an article about winners and losers from the debate? I haven’t seen any today.

Whitney said...

I've been there, TJ! It was called Millennium Stadium at the time. Wales v Franc 2000. Killer place.

Whitney said...

They crushed Franc, by the way. 15 versus 1 is not very fair and even less fun to watch.

zman said...

Franc the Tanc?

TR said...

Franc dressing, franc fries, franc bread. And to drink...Peru!

Danimal said...

Franc you guys.

rob said...

franc

mr kq said...

Very cool Teej. Was there for Ire v Can ‘15 World Cup. Blue sky day in Cardiff fantastic city. 47 seven beers (numbers approximate) were had that day.

mr kq said...

47 seven? I’m still drunk.

TR said...

Probably senility. No offense.

Danimal said...

You should politely ask him to franc off, mr kq.

Whitney said...

I enjoyed TR's Better Off Dead turn.

Whitney said...

My daughter just texted me from Lollapalooza. Lord, I'm old.

mr kq said...

We’re in OBX next week. Any chance OBFT is there? Hope not.

Whitney said...

15th to 18th, Kenny

mr kq said...

Thank God

mr kq said...

But if You’d like to come down for an overnight next week we could prob figure out how to have a good time. Maybe.

mr kq said...

And piss off TR. respectfully.

TR said...

I deserved that.

Just got a call from the summer camp where my kids are sequestered. The younger one, who wrote us a letter about being homesick, apparently got into it w/ a kid from his cabin. The kid is a known troublemaker to counselors. He snapped a towel in my kid’s face today. My kid responded by punching him in the face. I sorta love my kid more for doing that. Putting a-holes in their place is something I’m fine with. So that’s a buzzkill on the wifey and I’s childless run.

zman said...

Did he beat the kid with a flip-flop?

Dave said...

hola gheorgies!

pub night and a lot fo gambling

rob said...

fo sho

Whitney said...

Fo, fo, fo

zman said...

Fo fo fo, flak flak a flak flak

Dave said...

yikes. quite a pub night. shots were drank. met a guy that had been in a pretty bad car accident. couldn't golf anymore. turns out one of my students hit him. also turns out he likes to gamble on darts, which is something not enough people like to do.

Whitney said...

Shots were drunk. Come on, Engly.

Marls said...

I think he meant that they did shots of purple drank. Summer Dave brings his pimp cup to pub night.