Thursday, April 11, 2019

Why Didn't We Think of That?

Some of you, particularly those of you with children of a certain age, may be familiar with Rhett and Link. Purveyors of a number of online content properties, the duo are amiable forty-somethings from Buies Creek, NC who've managed to parlay a close and genuine friendship and a fondness for dipshittery into a lucrative entertainment career.

My daughters, in particular my little one, count themselves as fans of the pair's YouTube show Good Mythical Morning. In GMM, Rhett and Link generally, though not always, combine blind food taste-testing with comedy and good-natured self-deprecation. Among their go-to bits are things like 'Will It Taco?' (in which they make tacos out of things that likely shouldn't be tacofied and taste and rate the results). The 'Will It...' gimmick is a staple of the show, and a solid recipe for grins.

The boys are also fond of testing their culinary detective skills, frequently selecting a category of fast food and blind taste testing several different types to see if they can identify the source. For example:



I bring this to your attention this morning because (filler, for one) I find that I very much enjoy Rhett and Link and their work. In addition to GMM, they've done documentary work, toured to live audiences, and they produce an eclectic podcast called Ear Biscuits that explores the nature of friendship, among a broad range of other things. They're a joyful, grateful, silly, deeply self-unserious pair of pals.

In short, I find these two dipshits pretty Gheorghie. Imagine my amazement when the Ghooghle machine told me that they possess a net worth of between $7-8m. Which makes me very happy for them, and more than a little annoyed at the collective lack of ambition of this group.

18 comments:

Whitney said...

I watched it. Funny stuff, kind of gross but oddly now I'm hungry for a chicken sandwich.

Whitney said...

Video could be a new medium for G:TB but we are mostly geographically disparate so it would need to be like Around the Horn on ESPN. But funny.

rob said...

when you have a few moments, go watch a few more of their videos. always good-natured, generally amusing, sometimes gross. fun for the whole family.

Dave said...

you two have lost your collective minds. those guys are not funny. have you seen atlanta? or my dog, running around the house?

we should have a video where we beat those two up. i will admit that the one dude looks a bit like jason.

Whitney said...

They are eating fast food chicken sandwiches off a foam finger while blindfolded and trying to guess the restaurant. I didn't laugh out loud, but it amused. Seemed like something we would have done. And if we would have done it, you would have laughed.

What's going on in Atlanta that's so funny? I haven't been in a few years, but it was pretty unfunny. Except when I posed as Chris Chandler for an autograph session in a bar. Now THAT was funny.

rob said...

dave hates whimsy. sad, really.

TR said...

I hate Minneapolis more than Dave hates whimsy. Two hour delay coming in y/day. Two hour delay leaving today. Was 63 degrees for NCAA final, but they got six inches (ie, two Zman dongs) of snow/sleet/ice y/day. I first saw snow in KC on my birthday in mid-November. I’m still looking at it today. I had to wade thru slush piles in a suit and dress shoes. Miserable.

Whitney said...

Random Z potshot for no apparent reason. I like.

Mark said...

My kid’s high school lacrosse game was timed perfectly as the latest SpaceX launch occurred during halftime. And since we live more miles from the launchpad, we had a great view of said launch. If you have to attend high school sports, that’s the way to do it.

rob said...

did you sample any of the gtb-approved minneapolis food/beer/art, tr?

TR said...

That’s a negative, Robbie. Was supposed to land after 8 PM, leaving a window for late meal. Landed at 1135 PM due to Minneapolis being the North Pole. But will be back next month. Will come in early to make some good night-time decisions, and a few bad ones.

Dave said...

i do hate whimsy! i had to look it up to be sure . . . I even hate the definition: "playfully quaint or fanciful behavior."

yuck.

zman said...

Whimsy is Whitney's twin brother.

Squeaky said...

How does Dave not know the definition of whimsy?

rootsminer said...

Zman is getting the business this week. First Whit's park ranger comment, and now TR comes from the top rope. Not sure that's how you guys should be treating a reliable provider of content to this weblog.

zman said...

rootsy has my back.

Whitney said...

Park ranger was simply a Lebowski mention. But if it came at Z’s expense, my apoloZ’s.

Whitney said...

Also, I spent the morning at W&M as part of a Diversity & Inclusion group as the College looks to improve itself. (Yes, I know, I’m a white straight male without a significant disability. But I have insights, baby.)

Having a cold Italian and a PBR in the can at the Delly now. Tribe.