Sunday, April 14, 2019

What I Did This Summer

It's Squirrel Week at The Washington Post, which signifies two things: John Kelly gets paid a lot of good American dollars to make shit up, and the venerable WaPo should be the paper of record for our nation.

I guess it signifies a third thing, as well. Around these parts, Squirrel Week also means that we get cheap content ideas. For that we're grateful.

If you're looking for me this summer, you'll need to cast your gaze northward. Specifically, to the Yukon, where the Kluane Red Squirrel Project is based. A collaboration between the University of Alberta, McGill University, the University of Saskatchewan, the University of Guelph and the University of Michigan, the KRSP tracks the mating, eating, breeding, social, and geographical behaviors of a population of red squirrels.

According to the University of Michigan's Ben Dantzer, who's hiring for this year's crop of Squirrel Camp staffers (Squirrel Camp being the summer researchers who staff the project), "Red squirrels are kind of like the badasses of Sciuridae." Indeed, the scrappy little bastards have been known to kill and eat baby snowshoe hares.

The first rule of Squirrel Camp is: You must catch a lot of squirrels.

Squirrel Campers must live in northern Canada without electricity or running water for the balance of the summer. Which seems like an inconvenience until you realize they get to spend their days hanging out with squirrels. Paradise, wouldn't you say?

So if you send me a message, it might be a while before I get back to you.

32 comments:

rob said...

per mark's comment last night, i would love to have patrick beverley on my team. regardless of the sport. he's exactly the best kind of motherfucker.

Whitney said...

I spent most of 1988-89 living in a room without a television or telephone and hanging out with a squirrel. It was fun.

TR said...

In LA for the week w/ the fam for Spring Break. Up at 5 AM b/c clock not dialed in to West Coast time. Went to gym and got my first “celebrity” sighting - TMZ’s Harvey Levin. He’s in very good shape, but had terrible form w/ his lunges. Short strides and didn’t go down far enough. It’s all about the long strides and keeping your knee behind your foot, Harv!

rob said...

sports are cool

Whitney said...

That was something

zman said...

I assume you’re referring to Pete Buttitieg’s announcement.

Whitney said...

Pete’s gonna suffer from people not being able to spell his name, much less pronounce it.

Donna said...

Beto in Hampton this Tuesday. 15 year old wants out of school to go. It’s at a local brewpub. It also tends to be busy week in the year for me. HA! Might go anyhow.

zman said...

You aren’t familiar with Pete Buttitieg, town counselman from Peoria, IL?

Dave said...

cat and i got all amped up for the new game of thrones last night and we both fell asleep 14 minutes in. good thing it's not 1982 . . .

Whitney said...

Donna, I saw that. He's also making an earlier AM appearance at a restaurant/bar in Norfolk where, the last time I was there, I was in a 70's jumpsuit, wig, and platform shoes with goldfish in them. I'm intrigued but probably won't have a chance to venture over there.

zman said...

Where did you get those shoes? I’m gonna get you sucka!

Donna said...

Yeah, Whit, he's doing breakfast in Norfolk and then heading to Hampton. We've said "yes" to the kid. With the condition to the other 2 kids, that they each get to take a day off from school sometime. Justice and fairness, ya know, in this house! I'll report what we think after we go tomorrow.
Some win by Tiger yesterday. He definitely knows how to rally a crowd!

Whitney said...

Happy Patriots Day, gheorghies

zman said...

3/4ths of zfamily has strep throat. And we’re away for spring break. How you gon be mad on vacation?

rootsminer said...

Who's the holdout? Good luck to that person.

rob said...

i’m early evening drunk in hilton head and i have a daughter with a driver’s license. this portends well for the kid. me being the kid for the purposes of the portending.

zman said...

By contrast, my daughter turns 5 tomorrow. She is the strongest immune system of all of us, apparently.

TR said...

Rob - did you get my email about HHI a few months ago? I hope Low Country Backyard gets a visit from your clan.

zman said...

I had an honest-to-god fever dream last night. Brady made an appearance in which he offered me a half a tab of acid to take the edge off the dream. Today is zdaughter’s birthday so I will man up and accommodate all of her requests. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

Dave said...

i'm breaking new ground today. getting "progressive" glasses. i was rather shocked yesterday when i went to the eye drx and learned what text in a book is actually supposed to look like.

rob said...

went to lowcountry backyard last night, timmy. that place is killer. even odds that we go back again this week.

Whitney said...

Progressive glasses... gotta be sexy

Whitney said...

In this vein: https://gheorghe77.blogspot.com/2018/06/say-thats-not-peter-cetera.html

Don't go see Smithereens on tour thinking you'll hear Pat DiNizio's inimitable voice. It's Marshall "Someday, Someway" Crenshaw. Seems like a stretch.

Mark said...

I wish I’d have stayed up to watch the second half of Warriors-Clips last night. That was epic. And Patrick Beverly’s motherfuckerness played a huge part in it. Alas, I had to get up early and dance for the white man.

Mark said...

In other playoff basketball news, the wife gave me a pass to skip out on going to see her friends this weekend so that I could attend the Magic’s first playoff game in eons. Much excitement.

TR said...

W&M is on pace to send me 69 emails today about One Tribe Day.

zman said...

I unsubscribed (unsubTribed?) from W&M emails a few years ago and it’s blissful.

rootsminer said...

I typically get spammed on this day too, but so far only an email from Marls.

Whitney said...

I get double as an alum and a current student. Drowning in them.

Marls said...

Just doing my class ambassador duties Rootsy.

rootsminer said...

Thanks for keeping it chill, Marls!