Friday, April 20, 2018

Return of zman Bouillabaise

Here are a few things I've seen or heard or thought about that I didn't have time to turn into a post or weren't really big enough to turn into a post.

1. Ghost & Meth & Comey?

Ghostface Killah and Method Man somehow or other met James Comey. I'll make like Zuckerberg and let you create the content in the comments. Just no homey/Comey jokes please.



2. I figured out what to get Mark for Christmas

zmother gets her Christmas shopping done around August, certainly no later than September. She hates Christmas shopping so she gets it done early. Holidays are always fun in zhome! I'm less of a Scrooge and don't get started until December, unless I see something that screams out to be gifted to someone in particular. Like these socks for Mark.


Or these for Whit. Or maybe these for TR. Or these for Squeaky. Or these for Teedge. Even rob.

Feel free to get me these. There are lots of other bizarre/amazing Stance socks too.

3. Check out Caroline Rose's new album LONER

Sometimes it sounds like Foster the People.





Other times it sounds like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.



Still others it sounds kinda like the Killers.



4. Watch "The Americans"

We're very late to the party on this one, but if you haven't watched The Americans you should. It's all available on Amazon Prime and it's all good.

One of the interesting aspects of The Sopranos was the idea that a murderous gangster comes home from work and has to deal with all the same mundane and difficult stuff as everyone else--his son gets bad grades and acts a fool, his wife spends too much money, his mother breaks his balls, his sister is out of control, and so on. The Sopranos made this dynamic clear right from the start of episode 1 and carried it through to the end.

The Americans spins this theme. Every marriage has difficulties, or at least things happen in any marriage that make things difficult. For Philip and Elizabeth Jennings, they not only have to deal with their kids' undesirable behaviors, they sometimes have to figure out how to dispose of dead bodies or weaponized bacteria because they're Russian spies. The tension between them as partners-in-crime serving their Motherland and as husband and wife is set out from the start and makes the show engaging throughout.

For example, we don't do dentistry like this in zhome.

10 comments:

rob said...

i guess this means i need to save my bespoke 4/20 content until next year.

Whitney said...

Next year, like next week and even tomorrow, is far from guaranteed. Post that shit at 4:20 today.

Whitney said...

And zman, you just provided the (sock) link to Penny Baker's Christmas gift. Nicely done.

zman said...

When you speak of me, speak well.

Danimal said...

The finality of the Americans is looming - the series, the marriage, and possibly their lives with one possibly taking out the other? Or each other? We shall see.

I've been slowly watching The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling. If you haven't watched the Larry Sanders Show - it's an all-timer. The Zen Diaries on the other hand are pretty depressing. If he were alive I'd give him a hug.

Whitney said...

Hey now

TR said...

I watched the Zen Diaries. It's way way way way way more than anybody needs on Shandling. It only got made b/c Apatow thinks he owes a lot of his career to Gary, and he b/c he has enough juice to make that doc. Could have been 2-3 hours shorter (it is 4.5 hours long).

TR said...

I want to dig into The Americans. I've been a big fan of Keri Russell since I saw her in the terrible movie Eight Days a Week. She is quite, um, talented in that.

Wife and I are almost done with Season 1 of Ozarks. I like Jason Bateman, but he should not be allowed to direct. I would call out camera shots before they happened during scenes. My wife would get mad, but I'd be right. That shouldn't happen.

This happened 3x one epside: "Here's where the camera will change its focus from the person right in front of the camera to the person in the background, and it will be done to try to make viewers anxious."

Mark said...

I love Stance socks and wear them almost exclusively with my work clothes. Mostly of the basketball and hip hop variety. I’ll be grabbing those OutKast socks.

The Americans is really good. I still need to finish up the penultimate season.

Mark said...

Oh, and I can’t fucking stand Page.