Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Ranking Topps 1980's Baseball Cards: #2 - 1989


85  months after we revealed our #3 ranking, we cave to the cacophony from the ones of you out there seeking finality and attempt to finish this project. Or at least plod one step closer to completion.  

So please accept my apologies. With a moment of free time no job, I would like to get this baby back on the tracks. Or better said at this point, get this rusty project over the finish line.

To recap, here are the rankings to date:

#10 - 1986
#9 - 1988
#8 - 1982
#7 - 1980
#6 - 1985
#5 - 1987
#4 - 1981

#3 - 1984


The 1989 season evokes mixed memories. It was the apex of the juiced-up Athletics teams of the late 1980's, with LaRussa's squad coming back from a defeat in the 1988 World Series to sweep their neighbor in the Bay Area the night of Game 1. However, the World Series was a bit of an afterthought to the destructive earthquake that shook the whole area. Surprisingly, Canseco and McGwire combined for only 50 HRs that year. But strong contributions from Dave Parker and Dave Henderson helped (37 combined HRs), and a very deep starting rotation (Stewart, Moore, Welch and Davis each had 17 or more wins) mattered. As did Dennis Eckersley's mustache, which proved too much for hitters to handle.

While only two other teams won 90 games (Cubs, Giants), Bo Jackson had his MLB peak this year, winning All-Star Game MVP. Robin Yount won his second MVP, Kevin Mitchell won his only MVP, Rickey stole 77 bases, Bret Saberhagen took the AL Cy Young and somebody called Mark Davis from the Padres (44 saves) won the NL Cy Young. Name does not ring a bell at all. He had 96 total saves in a 15-yr career. That name was as much as a surprise as Moose Stubing (pictured at the top of this post), who I'm guessing was Merrill's cousin.


As for the cards themselves, they were strong aesthetically, given the Body Glove era of the late 80's set a low bar for style. Script and wavy banners and gold cups all make for a good card. They stood out from prior years as Topps began fighting more intense competition from Donruss, Fleer and upstarts like Upper Deck.


So who will be #1? There is no way for you all to figure it out. You'll have to wait for the next post, which should come before the Tokyo Olympics in 2020. Or after. 

21 comments:

Whitney said...

YES!!!!!!!!

rootsminer said...

I don't think I was even aware of G:TB when the last installment of this segment was posted.

Also, if you're in the market for some 90s style R&B baby making music, check Stimulator Jones' album coming out 4/27 on Stones Throw. I put my copy on the turntable last night and it's so hot I'm running it back this morning.

https://www.stonesthrow.com/store/album/stimulatorjones/exotic-worlds-and-masterful-treasures

zman said...

I love Stones Throw. Stimulator Jones is a fellow Roanokian, do you know him?

rootsminer said...

Yes, he's one of my good mates. He's the secret weapon in my jug band. Supremely talented cat, and I'd say that even if I didn't know him well.

Whitney said...

My old baseball card collection is full of cards from 1976-1983, mostly late 70's entries. And then a bunch from this 1989 batch. Which is weird.

My freshman roommate Doug and I decided that we would snag a pack every time we went across the street to the Tinee Giant to buy beer or Cool Breeze wine or Slim Jims. We built up quite a collection of both '89 Topps cards and that crappy gum.

When did the gum stop coming with the cards?

zman said...

I always assumed jugs were the secret weapon in a jug band.

See if he can score you tickets to see Peanut Butter Wolf in Osaka in May (as well as tickets to Osaka).

rootsminer said...

The jug and upright bass are the only instruments we use that he doesn't actually play.

I did just cancel a trip to Sweden, but doubt Osaka is in the cards.

When PB Wolf found about him, he sent him all of the stuff he'd ever recorded, which runs a very wide gamut. Wolf liked the R&B flavored stuff, so he wrote and recorded the album that comes out next week.

TR said...

Surprisingly, I care a bit about 7 of 8 first round NBA playoff series. No fucks to give about Wiz-Raptors.

I also care about 0 of the 8 NHL series.

Squeaky said...

Playoff hockey is the best. Primarily watching for the Caps and Bruins but it looks like the Caps are going to choke early again this year.

Squeaky said...

Rumor has it that the Japanese winner on the 2018 Boston Marathon completed early this month in a local 1/2 marathon dressed as a panda. Very gheorghie if true.

https://twitter.com/ap745301/status/977718099796361216

Danimal said...

Spent about 24 hours in L.A. Sun/Monday with the expected delays and such coming back. I was okay w/it though, b/c it enabled me to binge listen to S-Town the podcast. I recommend.

And speaking of Harry, coincidentally somewhat anyway, I attended a dinner on Sunday night at the Magic Castle in Hollywood. I'd venture to guess Harry was a member and semi-regular performer. Cool place....check'r out. http://www.magiccastle.com/

Marls said...

Why would Alex Carles be a member of a jug band?

rob said...

npr’s carl kasell died today. bummer.

rootsminer said...

Why does James Dolan have a shitty blues band?

TR said...

B/c session players will swallow their pride for a big check. Isn’t that why you were a roadie for River in the mid 90’s?

His band would not be shitty if you removed him. They actually opened for the Eagles at MSG a couple years ago. They never advertised that b/c fans would come and heckle.

James Dolan is the one reason I divorced myself from the Knicks. His performances as “frontman” for JD and the Straight Shot is as sad as it is awful.

Whitney said...

...at age 84. That qualifies for a celebration of a life in most cases. Certainly not tragic, but maybe a little left to do and share with the world.

I'd take guaranteed 84.

Whitney said...

Definitely would take 92 like Barbara Bush.

TR said...

The wifey (who is not tech savvy) asked for help to check her points balance on a popular travel rewards program. We called the support line b/c we didn’t know her username or account number. Phone was on speaker and she did the talking.

We went through all the security steps and found out she had a nice balance b/c of the AMEX she’d been using for a few years.

At the end, my wife asked “Can you tell me what my username is?” The operator replied “It is, um, MareBear6969.”

(works better if you know my wife’s first name)

Upon hearing that, I started laughing uncontrollably while my wife looked at me and told me I was disgusting. Operator seemed a bit confused. My wife needs to know that if she leans on me to set these things up, I’m gonna do it my way.

rootsminer said...

That's classic TR! And a hot blues band with a shitty front man is a shitty band.

I roadied for River because they let me rent a closet in Arlington for $150 a month.

zman said...

That's better than MareBare6969.

Danimal said...

A can’t sleep “Hello Gheorghies”. Among the items having me awake include jet lag, work stuff, and Netflix stock which back in ‘06/‘07 I owned...not a lot in the grand scheme. I did ok with it before selling and bc my guy at the time apparently didn’t know any better either. Who knew I was giving away up to two of my children’s college tuition for a couple of thousand bucks?